Old 01-02-2009, 09:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Drought

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:20:28 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Bill wrote:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2521880/Com-Plant

"Zuni waffle garden was designed to conserve water in the arid
southwest climate. "

Bill

I haven't tried the Zuni waffle garden design, Bill, but I have tried
squash with corn, and beans with corn, only to have the corn choke out
the sunlight. Granted, I laid out the corn on a Cartesian grid before,
planting in a mound (on the south side of the corn) seems more
reasonable to me. If I do plant corn this year, it will be simply to
continue my efforts in trying to acclimate Golden Bantam to my
environment.

Thanks for the idea.

Here is a link to a draught resistant tomato, Millet's Dakota.
http://www.victoryseeds.com/catalog/...to/tomato.html

They have seed for heirloom and open pollinated plants.
--
Susan N.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

Here is a link to a draught resistant tomato, Millet's Dakota.
http://www.victoryseeds.com/catalog/...to/tomato.html

I usually buy something from Victory Seeds but I hadn't seen Millet's
Dakota.

Thanks
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars
Old 02-02-2009, 12:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 18:33:43 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

Here is a link to a draught resistant tomato, Millet's Dakota.
http://www.victoryseeds.com/catalog/...to/tomato.html

I usually buy something from Victory Seeds but I hadn't seen Millet's
Dakota.

Thanks

I spent a long time yesterday looking through all the tomatoes at
http:\\store.tomatofest.com

There were about 600 varieties. Even tho I don't need any more tomato
seeds, I bought 7. Who can resist a Julia Child, Blue Ridge Mountain
when I live in the foothills and Richardson since it is my maiden
name. All good reasons to buy the seeds.

I did notice that Burbank is supposed to do well in drier areas.
Check it out. Problem is $15 minimum purchase.
--
Susan N.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 18:33:43 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

Here is a link to a draught resistant tomato, Millet's Dakota.
http://www.victoryseeds.com/catalog/...to/tomato.html

I usually buy something from Victory Seeds but I hadn't seen Millet's
Dakota.

Thanks

I spent a long time yesterday looking through all the tomatoes at
http:\\store.tomatofest.com

There were about 600 varieties. Even tho I don't need any more tomato
seeds, I bought 7. Who can resist a Julia Child, Blue Ridge Mountain
when I live in the foothills and Richardson since it is my maiden
name. All good reasons to buy the seeds.

I did notice that Burbank is supposed to do well in drier areas.
Check it out. Problem is $15 minimum purchase.

Yeah, that $15 minimum has kept me from buying at Tomatofest.
I did find the Burbank at "Seeds of Change" also.
http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_...asp?item_no=PS
15446
They claim it needs moderate watering and is high in amino acids, for a
tomato. Apparently the Burbank is a determinate tomato (good for
canning?).

Thanks for sharing the information.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 09:21:31 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 18:33:43 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

[...]

Shipping is really a pain. When I know that I need (or want) a large
variety I start making a list of what I want, then who has them. I
try to get as many as possible from one place without leaving a single
from someone. I particularly like to try different varieties to see
if I like a new one better than what I am now using.
--
Susan N.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 09:21:31 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 18:33:43 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

[...]

Just on a whim.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...3Dgarden&field
-keywords=tomato+seeds&sprefix=tomat

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 03-02-2009, 09:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 15:15:05 -0500, Bill
wrote:

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 09:21:31 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 18:33:43 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

[...]

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_0_5?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=tomato+seeds&sprefix=tomat

Bill

Just what I don't need, more tomato seeds. They do not seem to be
sold by Amazon so would have to pay shipping. Did you see #226, rare
Polish Pastel, 5 seeds for $3.99 + shipping..
--
Susan N.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

Just what I don't need, more tomato seeds. They do not seem to be
sold by Amazon so would have to pay shipping. Did you see #226, rare
Polish Pastel, 5 seeds for $3.99 + shipping..

I had a hard time finding Marglobe a tomatoe from my youth. Those
Polish Pastel look like a wedding gift unless your great ancestors liked
them.

Bill

Beware what is born every minute ?

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 04-02-2009, 11:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

FarmI, and any other farmers who live in drought stricken areas,
I would appreciate hearing on how you are coping and what plants are
performing best for you.

It looks like we are in for another year of water rationing here
in northern California, due to lack of precipitation and the need to
provide our endangered salmon with sufficient water for spawning. The
water also gets sent south so that people can grow lawns and hose down
sidewalks in the great desert that is southern California.

Yes, I've "googled" drought resistant vegetables and found some good
sites like
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/new...toryType=garde

Looking forward to any advice you can offer.

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars

Got me looking about and found..."Breaking the Drought...visions of
grace"

By Stephen Levine

A taste

The Salad

Sometimes I use platitudes instead of nasturtium flowers in the salad,
the colors like stepping-stones across the delicate jungle in the old
Chinese bowl whose crane's wings lift ever so slightly the porcelain
centuries from the black birch table.

More of course....

The earth in meditation....

isbn 13 : 978-0-943914-48-0

Wavy Gravy likes this guy.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 06-02-2009, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

Happily, my drought is of a more aqueous nature and by chance it rained
today. 'Tis odd here in Sonoma County, our strange weather has lead to
an early budding of my peach trees and the regions grapevines.

Other droughts are fended off with "Haiku: Eastern Culture v. 1"
by Reginald Horace Blyth and friends like you ;O)

Hope you enjoyed Robert Burns' birthday.

Gotta' run. Dinner's on.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Other droughts are fended off with "Haiku: Eastern Culture v. 1"
by Reginald Horace Blyth and friends like you ;O)

Hope you enjoyed Robert Burns' birthday.

Gotta' run. Dinner's on.

Seems like a long time the Chinese addressed issues of place and
living. Peral S Buck and Lin Yutang and others enamored too.

Robert Burns blood line courses thru my veins if not in reality but in
spirit I hope. Mom's was a Hoag whose dad played the pipes.

So that said...

Sisters and brothers of the sun
We protect the soil as it is our life
Life only from the sun seems dry we need both light and shade

Still another spring to play in/on the earth

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 07-02-2009, 03:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

International Drought news found here.

http://www.climatechangecorp.com/content_list.asp?m=ct&ct=13

Local US drought updates found here by zip code.

http://www.droughtscore.com/

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 07-02-2009, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 10:04:50 -0500, Bill wrote:

International Drought news found here.

http://www.climatechangecorp.com/content_list.asp?m=ct&ct=13

Local US drought updates found here by zip code.

http://www.droughtscore.com/

What an idiotic site to fail to take in consideration that desert
regions get less rainfall than tropical regions.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 10:04:50 -0500, Bill wrote:

International Drought news found here.

http://www.climatechangecorp.com/content_list.asp?m=ct&ct=13

Local US drought updates found here by zip code.

http://www.droughtscore.com/

What an idiotic site to fail to take in consideration that desert
regions get less rainfall than tropical regions.

Huh? What are you referring to?

Old 08-02-2009, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 17:22:19 -0800, Billy wrote:
In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 10:04:50 -0500, Bill wrote:

International Drought news found here.

http://www.climatechangecorp.com/content_list.asp?m=ct&ct=13

Local US drought updates found here by zip code.

http://www.droughtscore.com/

What an idiotic site to fail to take in consideration that desert
regions get less rainfall than tropical regions.

Huh? What are you referring to?

I looked up arizona which is having normal rainfall. The idiotic site
reported that phoenix is in a severe draught. It is only a draught if
you think phoenix gets the same amount of rainfall as new england.
It doesn't. It's the ****ing desert. 12 inches a year is normal and
12 inches in a year isn't a severe draught.

dog-gone another drought, only this is a Spring time drought [email protected] Plant Science 5 06-06-2006 06:27 PM
(LONG) Drought likely for 3rd year in Klamath Basin Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 0 23-02-2003 12:54 AM
Drought and Roses B. Midler Roses 11 15-02-2003 08:15 AM
Drought & more len brauer Permaculture 7 28-01-2003 04:26 PM
Drought Fran Higham Permaculture 2 16-01-2003 11:20 PM