Old 12-01-2009, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Is lead taken up by vegetables?

When I sweep up the leaves on one side of my house I see paint that
flakes off the house exterior, a fair amount of it. I think it's
probable that this is leaded paint (i.e. pre 1970). For this reason,
I've been putting those leaves in the trash rather than on my compost
pile. That compost is what I fortify the soil with when I plant my
vegetable garden. Would my vegetables just leave that lead in the soil
or would some of it work its way into my tomatoes, squash, etc.?

Dan
Old 12-01-2009, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Dan Musicant ) wrote:

When I sweep up the leaves on one side of my house I see paint that
flakes off the house exterior, a fair amount of it. I think it's
probable that this is leaded paint (i.e. pre 1970).

There are lead test swipes available. Check it out as this is a quick
and cheap test that looks like Q tips in a cylinder.
For this reason,
I've been putting those leaves in the trash rather than on my compost
pile. That compost is what I fortify the soil with when I plant my
vegetable garden. Would my vegetables just leave that lead in the soil
or would some of it work its way into my tomatoes, squash, etc.?

Heavy metals not good. That said make sure you have an issue and if you
do fix it as soon as you can afford it. My brother removed some siding
from my Dad's house 10 years ago BUT it was asbestos shingles and the
work was costly according just for the dumping.

Dan

Bill whose Dad was into Creosote, Asbestos, Mercury and Cyanide and
what ever was a good tool. Benzene good for cutting oil and grease. He
also introduced me to Rodale yada yada go figure .
Don't know why the mercury was about but may have been useful in
plumbing stuff?

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 12-01-2009, 11:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill wrote:

Bill whose Dad was into Creosote, Asbestos, Mercury and Cyanide and
what ever was a good tool. Benzene good for cutting oil and grease.
He also introduced me to Rodale yada yada go figure .
Don't know why the mercury was about but may have been useful in
plumbing stuff?

Never heard of it being used in plumbing. Perhaps he was a part-time
dentist or a pox doctor.

David

Old 13-01-2009, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Bill wrote:

Bill whose Dad was into Creosote, Asbestos, Mercury and Cyanide and
what ever was a good tool. Benzene good for cutting oil and grease.
He also introduced me to Rodale yada yada go figure .
Don't know why the mercury was about but may have been useful in
plumbing stuff?

Never heard of it being used in plumbing. Perhaps he was a part-time
dentist or a pox doctor.

David

http://www.epa.gov/Region7/factsheet...or_contractors
_05_06_2008.htm

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

lead from sports in environment how to adapt a .177 BB to a pelletrifle; no lead pollution of land Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 0 04-09-2004 07:55 AM
For anyone worried about lead WAS Lead weights for plants RedForeman ©® Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 19-05-2004 07:04 AM
Lead weights in pond OK ?? Folklore Ponds 5 10-06-2003 04:20 AM
Lead Contamination Kudzu Gardening 3 17-04-2003 02:56 PM
Lead weights? Craig Brye Freshwater Aquaria Plants 16 05-03-2003 02:03 AM