Old 17-01-2009, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Orange Tomatoes

For several years Seed Savers sold a medium sized, orange cluster tomato
seed. I think it was called the Flamme Jume (sic)or something like that.
It was apparently bred for sun drying. I found them to be great for
salads.

It is no longer listed in their catalog. My crop failed last year and I
have no seed.

Can some one recommend a source?

Old 18-01-2009, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
" Nartker" wrote:

For several years Seed Savers sold a medium sized, orange cluster tomato
seed. I think it was called the Flamme Jume (sic)or something like that.
It was apparently bred for sun drying. I found them to be great for
salads.

It is no longer listed in their catalog. My crop failed last year and I
have no seed.

Can some one recommend a source?

Close but no cigar.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/p...earch&search=c
luster%2btomato&item=707&category=1&subcategory=50 0

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 18-01-2009, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill wrote:

Flamme Jume

Flamme #5082 (30 seeds) $2.50
Also know as Jaune Flamme
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/orange.htm
------

Flamme-Heirloom Tomato Seeds
FlammeTomato
Our Price: $2.95
Sale Price: $2.00

Unfortunately, Tomatofest has a $15 minimum purchase.
http://store.tomatofest.com/Flamme_T..._p/tf-0175.htm
------

Jaune Flamme
$2.50/pk of 20 seeds
http://www.reimerseeds.com/jaune-flamme-tomato.aspx
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars
Old 18-01-2009, 06:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In message , Nartker
writes
For several years Seed Savers sold a medium sized, orange cluster tomato
seed. I think it was called the Flamme Jume (sic)or something like that.
It was apparently bred for sun drying. I found them to be great for
salads.

It is no longer listed in their catalog. My crop failed last year and I
have no seed.

Can some one recommend a source?

If you can get a small tomato called Sungold "over there" I can't
recommend it too highly. It has a bigger sister called Sungella (not as
sweet) but Sungold ..... not much bigger than a quarter .... is the
sweetest you will ever taste. My kinds and grandchildren eat them like
grapes ... just as well they are such abundant fruiters (Sungold - not
the kids!).

Having written the above I recognise that it is unlikely they will be
marketed under the same name as "over here" (UK). This link may help as
it gives the Latin name rather than the brand name.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ges/4390.shtml

HTH
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 18-01-2009, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nartker wrote:
For several years Seed Savers sold a medium sized, orange cluster tomato
seed. I think it was called the Flamme Jume (sic)or something like that.
It was apparently bred for sun drying. I found them to be great for
salads.

It is no longer listed in their catalog. My crop failed last year and I
have no seed.

Can some one recommend a source?

Now sure if this helps or not: I few years ago, in mid-winter, I was
perusing the sad excuses they had for tomatoes at the grocery store.
But the orange "cluster" tomatoes actually smelled like tomatoes! (the
red and the yellow ones just like them had no smell at all, just like
the Romas and the big slicers.) I bought a few of the orange tomatoes,
and they were actually good. I saved the seeds and planted them in the
spring and they grew pretty well. Not sure if they came true to the
variety but they were close. My wife wouldn't eat them because they
were the wrong color so I didn't grow them again or save any seeds.

So you might try buying one at the grocery store and harvesting the
seeds. Squeeze the seeds out with some of their jelly, stir in a little
water, then let them rot for a few days. Skim, strain, rinse, and dry.

If you want a tomato that is perfect for drying, look for a variety
called Principe Borghese (sp?)

Bob

Old 19-01-2009, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 09:21:42 -0600, " Nartker"
wrote:

For several years Seed Savers sold a medium sized, orange cluster tomato
seed. I think it was called the Flamme Jume (sic)or something like that.
It was apparently bred for sun drying. I found them to be great for
salads.

It is no longer listed in their catalog. My crop failed last year and I
have no seed.

Can some one recommend a source?

One of our favourite suppliers for seeds here in Canada is Solana
Seeds. They have hundreds of heirloom seeds including more than 200
varieties of tomato. We have excellent germination with their seeds.
Lots of hard to find varieties.
http://solanaseeds.netfirms.com/welcome.html
From their catalogue:
Jaune Flammée
Salad size yellow-orange fruits with red markings inside. Unique
flavor. Nice appearance. Click thumbnails for details. Great variety
from France. 60-65 days.
Packet of 20 seeds: $1,49

Their minimum purchase is $3.00.
Shipping to the US is $2.00 no matter the order size.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
AgCanada Zone 5b
43º 17' 26.75" North
80º 13' 29.46" West
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.