Old 26-01-2009, 04:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Growing Fennel

Fennel is delicious roasted and ridiculously expensive at the store, so
I'm considering trying to grow some in a raised bed this year.

Has anyone ever grown them and how much water do they like?

I live in Central Texas near Austin.
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous
Old 26-01-2009, 06:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Fennel is delicious roasted and ridiculously expensive at the store, so
I'm considering trying to grow some in a raised bed this year.

Has anyone ever grown them and how much water do they like?

I live in Central Texas near Austin.

Here, in northern California, they grow wild with no attention afforded
to them.
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars
Old 26-01-2009, 09:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Fennel is delicious roasted and ridiculously expensive at the store, so
I'm considering trying to grow some in a raised bed this year.

Has anyone ever grown them and how much water do they like?

I live in Central Texas near Austin.

Here, in northern California, they grow wild with no attention afforded
to them.

I planted fennel 3 odd years back to attract insects. We use the bulbs from
time to time. We just let it go & it gets the same, or less, water than the
veges. Every so often I give it a hack back & that encourgaes new growth.
Still going strong this summer.

ron

Old 26-01-2009, 10:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Fennel is delicious roasted and ridiculously expensive at the store, so
I'm considering trying to grow some in a raised bed this year.

Has anyone ever grown them and how much water do they like?

I live in Central Texas near Austin.

Here, in northern California, they grow wild with no attention afforded
to them.

laughs I ought to shmack you for that!

Want to trade some more cactus pads for some?
But, point taken. In other words, they are easy to grow.
How dry is it where you live? We are in the middle yet another drought
and might end up with water rationing this summer.

Seriously, they are around $3.00 each at the grocery store.

Old 26-01-2009, 10:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Fennel is delicious roasted and ridiculously expensive at the store, so
I'm considering trying to grow some in a raised bed this year.

Has anyone ever grown them and how much water do they like?

I live in Central Texas near Austin.

Here, in northern California, they grow wild with no attention afforded
to them.

I planted fennel 3 odd years back to attract insects. We use the bulbs from
time to time. We just let it go & it gets the same, or less, water than the
veges. Every so often I give it a hack back & that encourgaes new growth.
Still going strong this summer.

ron

They are good for Tiger Swallowtail larvae... And it'd keep them off
the dill weed!

Old 26-01-2009, 06:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Fennel is delicious roasted and ridiculously expensive at the store, so
I'm considering trying to grow some in a raised bed this year.

Has anyone ever grown them and how much water do they like?

I live in Central Texas near Austin.

Here, in northern California, they grow wild with no attention afforded
to them.

laughs I ought to shmack you for that!

Want to trade some more cactus pads for some?
But, point taken. In other words, they are easy to grow.
How dry is it where you live? We are in the middle yet another drought
and might end up with water rationing this summer.

Seriously, they are around $3.00 each at the grocery store.

I lived in Central Texas for 5 years (in Temple), and towards the end of
that period I *finally* figured out how to garden there -- drip
irrigation. The best garden I've ever had anywhere was in 105° heat in
that poor caliche soil.

It requires very little water, plus the Water Nazis won't be able to
tell when/if you are watering or not. It's not hard nor expensive to
set-up if you use "drip tape" intended for commercial growers instead of
marketed to home gardeners.

Bob
Old 26-01-2009, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

[...]

I do need to look in to that. Wal-mart carries the parts to do that.
It's supposed to be the most efficient. Thanks for the boost!

Old 27-01-2009, 06:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Fennel is delicious roasted and ridiculously expensive at the store, so
I'm considering trying to grow some in a raised bed this year.

Has anyone ever grown them and how much water do they like?

I live in Central Texas near Austin.

Here, in northern California, they grow wild with no attention afforded
to them.

laughs I ought to shmack you for that!

Want to trade some more cactus pads for some?
But, point taken. In other words, they are easy to grow.
How dry is it where you live? We are in the middle yet another drought
and might end up with water rationing this summer.

Seriously, they are around $3.00 each at the grocery store.

No problem. I'll look for some tomorrow:O)

Old 27-01-2009, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Fennel is delicious roasted and ridiculously expensive at the store, so
I'm considering trying to grow some in a raised bed this year.

Has anyone ever grown them and how much water do they like?

I live in Central Texas near Austin.

Here, in northern California, they grow wild with no attention afforded
to them.

laughs I ought to shmack you for that!

Want to trade some more cactus pads for some?
But, point taken. In other words, they are easy to grow.
How dry is it where you live? We are in the middle yet another drought
and might end up with water rationing this summer.

Seriously, they are around $3.00 each at the grocery store.

No problem. I'll look for some tomorrow:O)

Very cool... :-)

Old 28-01-2009, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Fennel is delicious roasted and ridiculously expensive at the store, so
I'm considering trying to grow some in a raised bed this year.

Has anyone ever grown them and how much water do they like?

I live in Central Texas near Austin.

Here, in northern California, they grow wild with no attention afforded
to them.

laughs I ought to shmack you for that!

Want to trade some more cactus pads for some?

As I'm learning about Opuntia, I find that the one I'm looking for is
Opuntia streptacantha. No problem though, I'm glad to help.
But, point taken. In other words, they are easy to grow.
How dry is it where you live?

Drought here too. Less than 1/2 normal rainfall to date. Our normal
rainy season is from October through April, when the region is
considered a temperate rain forest. Normally there is NO rainfall from
May to October. Under the trees is usually nice in the summer but out in
the open the sun it can get hot, 100F+. Three years ago we had 2 days
that reached 100F. Last year we had 12 days that touched the century
mark. Fennel seems to grow best in the sunniest areas, water or not.
We are in the middle yet another drought
and might end up with water rationing this summer.

If the next 3 months don't improve, water rationing is sure to be
mandatory.
http://www.kcra.com/water/index.html

Seriously, they are around $3.00 each at the grocery store.

Saw lots of fennel today but none in a particularly accessible area.
I'll keep looking, or I'll do it the hard way ;O)

Old 28-01-2009, 03:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Saw lots of fennel today but none in a particularly accessible area.
I'll keep looking, or I'll do it the hard way ;O)
--

Billy

It's ok, just if it's convenient. :-)
At the very least, I'll pay you for postage like you did for _me_!

If I can get over to the New Braunfels HEB early enough before they've
cut them all up on the right day, I may be able to get some pads from
them. It might be what you are looking for.

They skin and slice them right there at the store so their Nopales are
fresh. I just have to get lucky and hit them on the right time and day.

Old 28-01-2009, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Fennel is one of my very favorite vegetables, but here are a couple of
things to throw into the mix:

The kind of fennel you find in the store (and seed catalogues) has been bred
for especially large and succulent bulbs; the wild kind may not be as good.

Also, it is said that fennel roots exude some sort of chemical that inhibits
the growth of nearby plants.

--

Visit
www.insectgraphics.com for all your insect gift needs
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Omelet wrote:
In article
,

Old 28-01-2009, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"tuckermor" wrote:

Fennel is one of my very favorite vegetables, but here are a couple of
things to throw into the mix:

The kind of fennel you find in the store (and seed catalogues) has been bred
for especially large and succulent bulbs; the wild kind may not be as good.

Also, it is said that fennel roots exude some sort of chemical that inhibits
the growth of nearby plants.

Interesting stuff, thanks!

Old 02-02-2009, 06:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jan 25, 9:49*pm, Omelet wrote:
Fennel is delicious roasted and ridiculously expensive at the store, so
I'm considering trying to grow some in a raised bed this year.

Has anyone ever grown them and how much water do they like?

I live in Central Texas near Austin.
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous

Fennel grows really well in pots. I live in Houston, and fennel loved
it, though with lots of water. I grew it for the seeds.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
yosef wrote:

On Jan 25, 9:49*pm, Omelet wrote:
Fennel is delicious roasted and ridiculously expensive at the store, so
I'm considering trying to grow some in a raised bed this year.

Has anyone ever grown them and how much water do they like?

I live in Central Texas near Austin.
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous

Fennel grows really well in pots. I live in Houston, and fennel loved
it, though with lots of water. I grew it for the seeds.

Ok, thanks!

Do you get a lot of Tiger Swallowtail babies? They tend to go for
Fennel, Dill weed and Parsley. I used to grow some Parsley just for
them. ;-) I may do that again this year.