GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Greenhouse gardening (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/181029-greenhouse-gardening.html)

yosef 02-02-2009 05:55 AM

Greenhouse gardening

I'm new to greenhouse gardening, and was wondering what plants would
do well in Houston in a warm-hot greenhouse. Are flowering annuals and
tomatoes feasible in an environment that gets over 100 degrees
regularly during the summer months? Will zinnias and pansies like it,
and everything else die? Also, is it necessary to have a different
potting mixture or not?
Thank you in advance.

[email protected] 04-02-2009 02:54 PM

Greenhouse gardening

On Feb 2, 12:55*am, yosef wrote:
I'm new to greenhouse gardening, and was wondering what plants would
do well in Houston in a warm-hot greenhouse. Are flowering annuals and
tomatoes feasible in an environment that gets over 100 degrees
regularly during the summer months? Will zinnias and pansies like it,
and everything else die? Also, is it necessary to have a different
potting mixture or not?
Thank you in advance.

I would suggest you get a copy of The Greenhouse Expert by Dr. D.G.
Hessayon. It is quite helpful. I am in North Carolina and although it
gets really hot probably not as hot as Houston. There things you do to
keep the temperature less of a factor. Window vents are a must,
damping down ( spraying floor with cool water). Tomatoes, eggplant and
peppers like the heat. I don't do much with flowers so I can't comment
on those. Hope this helps.

MJ

chumley 23-04-2009 07:54 PM

hi, this is my 1st post here and this looked a good as any place to start. I am growing courgettes and cucumbers in my greenhouse and i suspact they have mildew. Is there any known way to tackle mildew?