Old 05-02-2009, 12:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Is tea a herb?

Is tea a herb? Just that, with apologies if it's not exactly OT. Oh,
there is one more thing: is 'herb' pronounced erb?

--
But you see, I can believe a thing without understanding it.
It's all a matter of training.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
says...

Is tea a herb? Just that, with apologies if it's not exactly OT. Oh,
there is one more thing: is 'herb' pronounced erb?

Tea is camellia sinensis and it is an herb.

Both pronunciations are correct.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:

I would not think it is a herb in the botanical sense as it has woody stems
and doesn't die down seasonally, it's a herb in the cullinary/medicinal
sense.

Indeed, this distinction was part of the reason for me asking.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Frederick Williams" wrote in message
Is tea a herb? Just that, with apologies if it's not exactly OT. Oh,
there is one more thing: is 'herb' pronounced erb?

--
But you see, I can believe a thing without understanding it.
It's all a matter of training.
--Lord Peter Wimsey in Dorothy L Sayers' _Have His Carcase_

I say "herb" with the "h" silent to distinguish when talking to, or in
hearing distance of Herb (Herbert). I'm definitely not French. I believe I
learned the pronunciation in a Catholic elementary school. Latin, not
French, was the closest to a second language I had at the time. The
predominant nationality of teachers and church staff was Irish. Was
definitely not part of any conversations I had in my early years.
--
Dave

Old 07-02-2009, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dioclese wrote:
"Frederick Williams" wrote in message
Is tea a herb? Just that, with apologies if it's not exactly OT. Oh,
there is one more thing: is 'herb' pronounced erb?

--
But you see, I can believe a thing without understanding it.
It's all a matter of training.
--Lord Peter Wimsey in Dorothy L Sayers' _Have His Carcase_

I say "herb" with the "h" silent to distinguish when talking to, or in
hearing distance of Herb (Herbert). I'm definitely not French. I
believe I learned the pronunciation in a Catholic elementary school.
Latin, not French, was the closest to a second language I had at the
time. The predominant nationality of teachers and church staff was
Irish. Was definitely not part of any conversations I had in my
early years.

The Irish - Catholic connection is interesting. As a child I met numerous
children brought up as Catholics who refered to the letter "h" as haitch but
those who were brought up protestants said aitch. I later learned that this
is not a peculiarity of religion at all (in my region at least) but that it
came from many of the teachers in the Catholic private education system
being of Irish origin whereas the non-catholics mostly went to public
schools where the teachers were not Irish. I don't recall them saying 'erb
though but we didn't discuss herbs much.

In the way of kids the cafliks yelled insults (and sometimes rocks) at the
prodes over the fence and vic-versa. On one memorable occasion some of the
older boys were lined up for a scuffle and each declared "I'm Catholic" or
"I'm Church of England" as the case might be. The battle lines were drawn
and they turned to me and I said quaking "I'm Kindergarten" and so was
excused the ensuing melee.

David

Old 07-02-2009, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

[...]

Smart at a young age.

Not to worry it is just the battle of Culloden being replayed.

http://www.amazon.com/Culloden-John-...ref=sr_1_1?ie=
UTF8&s=books&qid=1234048371&sr=1-1

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 08-02-2009, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Somebody has jumped the rails here. An herb is what it does in cooking;
flavor. That would include parsley, rosemary, and bay. A medicinal herb
is an unprocessed plant that has curative properties and includes yarrow
leaves, and buck-eye balls.

What is buck eye good for? Last I read, they were toxic.
--
Peace! Om

"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of societies understanding."

-- From "Batman Begins"

Herb Sale At Gardens of the Ancients Herb Emporium and Nursery mrchaos007 Texas 21 11-04-2005 08:07 PM
herb or weed? Doctoroe North Carolina 20 19-04-2003 03:08 PM
repotting / herb question? Shiltsy Gardening 4 18-02-2003 09:27 PM
Herb usage? subbykins{Chrd} United Kingdom 4 28-10-2002 02:41 PM
Family apples (was Herb usage?) Big Al United Kingdom 1 24-10-2002 06:18 PM