Old 06-02-2009, 07:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tiny carrots overwintered--what do I do now?

I had a nice raised bed (3X6 feet) that I planted in carrots late last year.
They grew a little bit, and then winter came. They were about an inch long
when the frosts started, and have stayed that size all winter. Some of the
tops seem to have died; others still look green and healthy.

Now, it is warming up. I want to get some new carrots in as soon as
possible, but I don't know what to do with these old ones. Will carrots
grow after having been in the ground all winter? Are they like onions in
that, when the weather grows warmer, they'll get going again, or is this the
end of the line for them? Should I pull out all the little carrots and
plant fresh, or will these eventually grow into maturity? If I need to pull
them up, should I NOT plant carrots here again, even though the first crop
didn't make it to maturity?

I live in southwestern Utah, zone 7 or 8. Thanks in advance for any advice.
--S.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Suzanne D. wrote:
[...]

If you like "Queen Anne's Lace", you can leave them and let them bloom.
I sometimes stick a few carrots in the flower beds; they can get over
6 feet tall.

Bob
Old 08-02-2009, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Suzanne D. wrote:
[...]

I don't want flowers; I want carrots. This doesn't really answer my
question. Are you saying that the roots will no longer grow, and that I
SHOULD pull them out now and replant? Or are you saying that the roots WILL
keep growing, but if I leave them too long next summer the tops will flower?
I guess I am just asking if I should pull these and replant now, or if they
will continue to grow into full sized carrots. Anyone know?
--S.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Suzanne D." wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Suzanne D. wrote:
[...]

I'd treat carrots as yearly event.

..

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 08-02-2009, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Suzanne D." wrote:

I don't want flowers; I want carrots. This doesn't really answer my
question. Are you saying that the roots will no longer grow, and that I
SHOULD pull them out now and replant?

Yes. Carrots are biennials, and their programming is to make roots the
first year and seed the second.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Suzanne D. wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Suzanne D. wrote:
[...]

It's too late for the carrots. Even if they do get larger (which I
doubt) they will be tough and woody and nasty. All you have now is
potential flowers.

Bob
Old 08-02-2009, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Suzanne D. wrote:

I don't want flowers; I want carrots. This doesn't really answer my
question. Are you saying that the roots will no longer grow, and that I
SHOULD pull them out now and replant? Or are you saying that the roots
WILL keep growing, but if I leave them too long next summer the tops will
flower? I guess I am just asking if I should pull these and replant now,
or if they will continue to grow into full sized carrots. Anyone know?
--S.

It's too late for the carrots. Even if they do get larger (which I doubt)
they will be tough and woody and nasty. All you have now is potential
flowers.

Thanks everyone. I'll pull them all up and start fresh on our next pleasant
day!
--S.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Feb 8, 4:49 pm, "Suzanne D." wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message

Suzanne D. wrote:
I don't want flowers; I want carrots. This doesn't really answer my
question. Are you saying that the roots will no longer grow, and that I
SHOULD pull them out now and replant? Or are you saying that the roots
WILL keep growing, but if I leave them too long next summer the tops will
flower? I guess I am just asking if I should pull these and replant now,
or if they will continue to grow into full sized carrots. Anyone know?
--S.

It's too late for the carrots. Even if they do get larger (which I doubt)
they will be tough and woody and nasty. All you have now is potential
flowers.

Thanks everyone. I'll pull them all up and start fresh on our next pleasant
day!
--S.

I have a similar group of carrots. I tried to grow them between rows
of beans. I'm going to let them grow. My experience with bienials
(holly hocks) is that it sometimes takes more than a year for them to
get a large enough root to support flowering and going to seed. Of
course in zone 3a what I want to do may be moot.