Old 08-02-2009, 11:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Best mix for tomatoes in pots?

I am in a rent house so I want to grow my tomatoes in pots. I have
tried growing individual tomato plants in 6 gal. pots with Miracle
Gro, but had poor results. Just a few puny fruit produced.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
geronimo wrote:

I am in a rent house so I want to grow my tomatoes in pots. I have
tried growing individual tomato plants in 6 gal. pots with Miracle
Gro, but had poor results. Just a few puny fruit produced.

Your pot is too small.
And try Medina Hastagro.
--
Peace! Om

"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of societies understanding."

-- From "Batman Begins"
Old 08-02-2009, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 05:52:13 -0600, geronimo
wrote:

I am in a rent house so I want to grow my tomatoes in pots. I have
tried growing individual tomato plants in 6 gal. pots with Miracle
Gro, but had poor results. Just a few puny fruit produced.

It is probably not the soil mix. Tomatoes need sun and heat. I tried
one year to grow some in the greenhouse during the winter. Wasn't
worth it. I probably paid 10 times in electricity than I would have
for tomatoes. Inside on a window sill does not do it.

Did you add any fertilizer after the plants got started? Patio type
tomatoes work best in pots. The variety "Patio" does fairly well in
pots. I also had OK results last summer with "Window Box Roma."
--
Susan N.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

I am in a rent house so I want to grow my tomatoes in pots. I have
tried growing individual tomato plants in 6 gal. pots with Miracle
Gro, but had poor results. Just a few puny fruit produced.

Cherry tomatoes do quite well in pots and there are many available
that are specific to such growing. Look for ones with "patio" in the
name.

You can grow full size tomatoes in larger tubs, though, and I do it
every year. Look for containers that are at least 20 inches.

Boron

Old 14-03-2009, 07:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I grow "Sweet 100's" or similar in big tubs. Patio tomatoes give you
hardly any crop while the sweet 100's will give you hundreds per plant
if pot is properly situated and watered. Jim in So. Calif.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Registered User

It is apparently not the clay mix. Tomatoes charge sun and heat. I tried one year to abound some in the greenhouse during the winter. Wasn't worth it. I apparently paid 10 times in electricity than I would have for tomatoes. Inside on a window axle does not do it.
__________________
grow tents
Old 14-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
I am in a rent house so I want to grow my tomatoes in pots. I have
tried growing individual tomato plants in 6 gal. pots with Miracle
Gro, but had poor results. Just a few puny fruit produced.
I used something called a flower tower and just grew mine on the wall. The irrigation watering system thing really worked and gave me brilliant results. i found a link on ebay for them, its were i got mine.
GARDEN FLOWER TOWER - Wall flower/fruit/herb planter. on eBay (end time 07-Jul-11 16:10:14 BST)

hope this helps!
Old 15-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Registered User

Location: Devon, UK

Patio toms are the way forward, as previously mentioned above, a cherry variety will be high yielding but not take up too much room. Make sure the pots are big enough though to allow the roots to grow some