GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help, the plants are going to the dogs. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/181137-help-plants-going-dogs.html)

[email protected] 09-02-2009 04:56 AM

Help, the plants are going to the dogs.

I have two medium size dogs and they both have a thing about tearing
up the potted plants. They have even gone after the tomatoes which are
in 2 ft. heigh planters. What can I do to keep them out of my plants?

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 09-02-2009 12:32 PM

wrote:
I have two medium size dogs and they both have a thing about tearing
up the potted plants. They have even gone after the tomatoes which are
in 2 ft. heigh planters. What can I do to keep them out of my plants?

One obvious thing is to keep the dogs away from the plants. Not knowing
anything about your plants, where you grow them or how you keep the dogs it
is impossible to guess what may be the best way. If you are looking for a
"magic" fix (along the lines of spray the plants with XYZ which is quite
harmless but keeps dogs at least 3 feet away) I think you are going to be
out of luck.

If physically preventing the dogs from getting to the plants isn't possible
or desirable this is becomes more a question about dog behaviour than
growing edible plants. Why not try a newsgroup related to that. I suspect
you will need to supply quite a bit more detail to allow somebody to work
out why your dogs do this and how to stop them.

David

Omelet[_4_] 09-02-2009 04:27 PM

Help, the plants are going to the dogs.

In article
,
wrote:

I have two medium size dogs and they both have a thing about tearing
up the potted plants. They have even gone after the tomatoes which are
in 2 ft. heigh planters. What can I do to keep them out of my plants?

Hot wire.
--
Peace! Om

"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of societies understanding."

-- From "Batman Begins"

Dan L. 10-02-2009 06:39 PM

Help, the plants are going to the dogs.

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
wrote:

I have two medium size dogs and they both have a thing about tearing
up the potted plants. They have even gone after the tomatoes which are
in 2 ft. heigh planters. What can I do to keep them out of my plants?

Hot wire.

Train them. Get a good dog training book, I like "Good Owners, Great
Dogs, by Brain Kilcommons" an excellent book. You can take dog training
classes in your neighborhood or ask a trainer and see if he provides
free advice. There are sprays for plants that some animals will avoid.
Dogs have very sensitive noses and some plant odors will bother them.

One can also get prickly plants with spines on them. Ouch!

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.