Old 07-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Registered User

Unhappy No sun for growing veg

We have a small garden and have recently built raised beds in every available space for the purpose of growing our own vegetables. Unfortunatly 75% of the beds never see the sun due to surrounding buildings. What type of veg can we grow that does not need direct sun light?
Old 07-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Registered User

Location: The Midlands
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronthomas View Post
We have a small garden and have recently built raised beds in every available space for the purpose of growing our own vegetables. Unfortunatly 75% of the beds never see the sun due to surrounding buildings. What type of veg can we grow that does not need direct sun light?
Have you tried painting walls a lightish colour? This does help.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default No sun for growing veg

ronthomas wrote in message

We have a small garden and have recently built raised beds in every
available space for the purpose of growing our own vegetables.
Unfortunatly 75% of the beds never see the sun due to surrounding
buildings. What type of veg can we grow that does not need direct sun
light?

As someone else suggested - trellis. Also ample use of aluminum foil under
the plants tod reflect what light is available upward.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Old 09-03-2009, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 15:31:43 +0000, ronthomas
wrote:

We have a small garden and have recently built raised beds in every
available space for the purpose of growing our own vegetables.
Unfortunatly 75% of the beds never see the sun due to surrounding
buildings. What type of veg can we grow that does not need direct sun
light?

If the space really nevers gets direct sun, then any kind of harvest
is going to be a problem. The plants need sun directly on the leaves
to provide the energy to grow the veg. In my small garden, it's
amazing the difference between those spots that get sun most of the
day and those that are shaded.

- Mark
Old 14-03-2009, 07:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The garden books say that vegetables need 6 hours of DIRECT sun a day.
You can grow some with as little as 3 hours of DIRECT sun per day but
you would have to research that. If I don't have at least 3 to 4 hours
of direct sun per day, I don't even both planting the seeds. I will be
disappointed by spindley little plants that never produce anything. My
recommendation is to search out a spot that does get direct sun or go
to the roofs or decks of the high buildings and plant in pots. Sorry -
Jim in So. California

Old 19-03-2009, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

--
ronthomas

Lettuces would be good candidates.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Registered User

I will be disappointed by spindley little plants that never aftermath anything. My recommendation is to seek out a atom that does get absolute sun or go to the roofs or decks of the top barrio and bulb in pots.
grow tents

growing veg without a garden sneaks Edible Gardening 4 25-03-2006 03:41 AM
growing veg indoors sneaks Edible Gardening 6 22-03-2006 06:23 AM
Newbie veg growing shazzbat United Kingdom 3 07-02-2006 10:46 PM
Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 09:51 PM
Looking for a good book on organic veg growing Jeff Banks United Kingdom 6 23-11-2005 11:09 PM