GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Patio Gardening (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/181911-patio-gardening.html)

Ernie Willson 20-03-2009 05:55 PM

Patio Gardening

I'm interested in getting into raising vegetables in pots on my patio.
For the most part Deer eat anything I plant in the yard. To maximizing
yield what would you recommend planting? Are there any good website that
discuss this type of gardening?

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

Billy[_7_] 20-03-2009 07:10 PM

Patio Gardening

In article ,
Ernie Willson wrote:

I'm interested in getting into raising vegetables in pots on my patio.
For the most part Deer eat anything I plant in the yard. To maximizing
yield what would you recommend planting? Are there any good website that
discuss this type of gardening?

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

You may want to look at http://www.ghorganics.com/page6.html first,
and then Google "container gardening". Get some background and then ask
intelligent questions. To maximize crop, see plant recommendations
at
http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-home/g...x?cp-documenti
d=8316903
--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvCCc4g9wM8&NR=1

Frank 21-03-2009 12:49 PM

Patio Gardening

On Mar 20, 1:55*pm, Ernie Willson wrote:
I'm interested in getting into raising vegetables in pots on my patio.
For the most part Deer eat anything I plant in the yard. To maximizing
yield what would you recommend planting? Are there any good website that
discuss this type of gardening?

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

I grow tomatos, peppers and eggplants in 14 inch deep pots on deck
because of shade and deer that have enchroached my property over the
years.
Vegetable yields are good but frequent watering is needed. Probably
have to fertilize more often. I use bagged top soil and replace the
top, maybe quarter, every year. Fungus and bugs as in normal garden
can be a problem but sprays keep in check.
Deer will come onto patios so you may need extra fencing or
elevation. There is a patio under my deck and I have cucumbers
growing in pots but I have had to put up netting around most of the
patio to keep the deer away. Netting is an adequate barrier as deer
are browsers and will not bother to break through it.
Also I quit feeding birds and put away the deck bird feeder to keep
away coons and squirrels as they will attack your containers too.

mackbrez 01-06-2011 08:19 PM

Vegetable yields are acceptable but common watering is needed. Probably have to beget added often. I use bagged top clay and alter the top, maybe quarter, every year. Fungus and bugs as in accustomed garden can be a botheration but sprays accumulate in check.