Old 21-03-2009, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default vegetables recommended by chefs

Article in today's fish wrap (a.k.a. Press Democrat) gave preferences
for vegetables grown by local chefs (Sonoma County, region 9 - 10.)
To see full article go to
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...180138/1309/LI
FESTYLE?Title=Growing-flavor-in-Sonoma-County .

Among preferred veggies a

ŒJimmy Nardelloı Pepper: An Italian frying pepper, it was long out of
vogue compared to other varieties. But Mall (chef) said this sweet
pepper is ³amazing² when cooked slowly in extra virgin olive oil with
sea salt and a touch of garlic. ³When we sell our stuff at the farmerıs
market, itıs one that other chefs love to buy.² Mall likes to cook it
for use as a condiment, pizza topping or on bruschetta.

ŒMoon Starı Watermelon: Many flavorful varieties can also be knock-outs.
This one looks like the night sky. ³It has one big orange spot that is
the moon and a lot of little ones that are stars,² says Mall. ³Itıs
bizarre looking and has a lot of seeds, but people from the south have
told me itıs the best theyıve had outside Georgia.²

ŒFairy Taleı Eggplant: These small wonders come in neon shades of purple
and are striking. they retain their color even when cooked.
ŒPaul Robesonı Tomato: Like other dark tomatoes, this one has a rich,
sweet, concentrated taste. The Malls entered this one in a tomato
tasting at the Windsor Farmerıs Market last summer and all the growers
declared it the best.

ŒZephyrı Squash: Long, slender and shaped a bit like a bowling pin, it
has a nice ³firm texture² and sweet taste. Mallgren prefers the texture
to common zucchini. ³It has a nice bite and a nice crunch to it,² he
says.

ŒIsarı Gold French Bean: Mallgren says this variety has a clean flavor
and is tender. And while it resembles a green bean, this filet bean is
really a yellow variety.

ŒTaveraı Green Bean: Mallgren is partial to these because of their
flavor and texture. Theyıre not too tough. And the best part is theyıre
reliable. They come out of the garden consistently good.

ŒBulls Bloodı Beets: With deep, metallic purple leaves, this variety is
heat resistant and you can eat the whole thing.
Blacktail Mountain Watermelon: This heirloom variety is super sweet with
a relatively thin pith. The flesh is deep red and the outside almost
black.

Calabrese Pepper: Long, thin and deep red, this Italian chili pepper has
a little heat and great flavor.

ŒHillbillyı Tomato: This large slicing tomato is great for gazpacho. The
result is so creamy it almost ³melts in the mouth² like mozzarella de
bufalo, Gerbi says.

ŒBrandywineı Tomato: It may not be rare but itıs a sure-fire winner,
according to Gerbi, and comes in late in the season. Itıs easy to slice
and has a nice balanced flavor for sweetness and acidity.

Tres Fin Marchiere Frissee Endive: A French endive, it is very thin,
soft and cool. It grows well in Sonoma County all year because itıs
resistant to frost and insects.
----

The online resources that were given are familiar to most of us:

Johnnyıs Selected Seeds: Based in Maine, this employee-owned company
offers a large selection, including heirlooms, and is a favorite source
of many growers. johnnysseeds.com, (877) 564-6697

Seed Saverıs Exchange: Since 1975 this Iowa-based farm has been the Fort
Knox of heirloom seeds, safeguarding them not by locking them away but
by spreading them far and wide. Seedsavers.org, (563) 382-5990.

Seeds of Change: Dedicated to biodiversity, this 20-year-old
organization based in New Mexico offers for market 600 distinct
varieties of organically grown seeds and plants, heirloom and
traditional. They have a catalog and Web site. (888) 762-7333 or
seedsofchange.com.

Natural Gardening Company: The oldest certified organic nursery in the
U.S., this home-grown mail-order company based in Petaluma selects out
the best varieties for germination and features many unusual and
heirloom varieties. They sell both seeds and seedlings. 766-9303 or
naturalgardening.com.
----

Had to re-pot some just germinated (seeded 2 weeks ago) pepo squash,
bitter melons, and peanuts because they were lifting the lid of the
germination tray. Peppers coming along slowly.
--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvCCc4g9wM8&NR=1
Old 22-03-2009, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

Had to re-pot some just germinated (seeded 2 weeks ago) pepo squash,
bitter melons, and peanuts because they were lifting the lid of the
germination tray. Peppers coming along slowly.

I'm getting away from the small-celled germ trays, (and getting away
from starting some things period) and starting peppers and maters in
four to six inch pots, and starting them only four weeks before last
frot date, my thinking being, their root structure doesn't become
hindered before setting them out. Last year I started all my tomatoes
in flats and pricked them out into four inch pots when they hit two
true leaves and they exploded in growth and didn't seem to slow down
when transplanted.

Hmmm. Not only am I using the small cells, but when I get multiple
germinations, which is my norm, I separate and replant them. This is
especially gratifying to me, when I do it with over-priced "starts"
($3.49/6) from the nursery.
I'll let you know how it works out.

I've gotten seed-starting things out and pulled seeds from the freezer
and am in process of making the "final" decisions on how much to
over-start....as usual. Younger son is gardening this year, so I've
much more to start....he's a novice and didn't ever pay much
attention, except to his plate, but he, and DIL, are both enthused and
ready to go...just need a little direction and help. His location is
likely to be the best of the three of ours. Looking at roughly 1200
sq. ft. with full sun all day, plus a separate asparagus bed of
however big he wants. Elder son has roughly the same amount of garden
in raised beds with about 4/5 day full sun.

(Sigh) I'm lookin' at a half-a-dozen patches that amount to about
400 sq. ft. and a 1/2 day of Sun at the best.

We've planted six fruit trees at each of their places and I have four
going here at The Home and have decided to plant at least three more
this year.

Summer shade and healty food, not a bad deal.

Charlie

"The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best
time is now." -- African proverb, or Chinese, or who knows whose