Old 23-03-2009, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Default Celery - Favorite recipes?

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 16:58:53 -0400, Bill wrote:

:In article ,
: Dan Musicant ) wrote:
:
: In order to plant my kabocha pumpkins a few days ago I had to dig up 3
: good sized celery plants and they're in my refrigerator in plastic bags.
: For me living alone, that's a lot of celery! Keeps well, but even so I'm
: going to need ideas or most of it will go bad. I need good ideas for
: recipes including celery. Celery sticks, celery with peanut butter I
: know about. Maybe some soups? What do you like? TIA...
:
: Dan
:
: Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
:
: Got a chance to try out this nifty thing.
:
:http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Celery+recipes
:
:Bill who enjoys celery in tuna fish salad. Celery Seed a must in the
antry.

Yeah, I have been adding chopped celery to my tuna and chicken salads,
but I counted and see I have 4 stalks, not 3 in the fridge. Using it all
before it rots will be a challenge.

Many useful ideas in this thread already, thanks! Will try that soup
recipe. I checked out Joy of Cooking some time ago but wasn't keen on
what they had. Myself (for the soup) I'll probably use nonfat dry milk
instead of cream or 1/2 & 1/2. I declared war on cholesterol a few
months ago with much success. Want to hold the fort. I've eaten almost
no butterfat since.

Dan
Old 23-03-2009, 05:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
In order to plant my kabocha pumpkins a few days ago I had to dig up 3
good sized celery plants and they're in my refrigerator in plastic bags.
For me living alone, that's a lot of celery! Keeps well, but even so I'm
going to need ideas or most of it will go bad. I need good ideas for
recipes including celery. Celery sticks, celery with peanut butter I
know about. Maybe some soups? What do you like? TIA...

I can use an entire bunch of celery in a stir fry... onions, bean sprouts,
napa, garlic, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, lotta gloppy sauce, LO
pork/chicken... think chow mein.... n' fly lice. Even better cold for
breakfast... if you say you don't eat cold from the fridge LOs then you
won't make it single, better find a mate.

I'm single and there are weeks when I use two big bunches of celery, e.g. in
stir - fries, salads, soups, mixed in with rice, etc...I've no problem in
using it up.

--
Best
Greg

Old 23-03-2009, 05:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

: Dan Musicant ) wrote:
:
[...]

Don't need any stinkin' JOC... celery is excellent in Ramen.

Old 23-03-2009, 05:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Have you ever used half and half or evaporated milk instead of the heavy
cream, Serene? I'm thinking I'll try evaporated milk to add richness.

Huh? What could be richer tasting than cream itself?
Old 23-03-2009, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" wrote in message
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Have you ever used half and half or evaporated milk instead of the heavy
cream, Serene? I'm thinking I'll try evaporated milk to add richness.

Huh? What could be richer tasting than cream itself?

Right, evap adds no extra butterfat... but it does add a caramelized flavor
that is acceptible in confections and some sweet dishes but can be off
tasting in savory dishes. I would be loathe to use evap in any cream-of
soup, especially celery.

Old 23-03-2009, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Goomba wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Have you ever used half and half or evaporated milk instead of the heavy
cream, Serene? I'm thinking I'll try evaporated milk to add richness.

Huh? What could be richer tasting than cream itself?

Not much. :-)
I use evaporated milk for its lower saturated fat content, 1.5g/fl oz
v. 7g/fl oz for heavy whipping cream

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - pot pie
Old 23-03-2009, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 10:46*am, Dan Musicant ) wrote:
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 22:00:11 GMT, "brooklyn1"
wrote:

::"Dan Musicant" wrote in message

.. .
: In order to plant my kabocha pumpkins a few days ago I had to dig up 3
: good sized celery plants and they're in my refrigerator in plastic bags.
: For me living alone, that's a lot of celery! Keeps well, but even so I'm
: going to need ideas or most of it will go bad. I need good ideas for
: recipes including celery. Celery sticks, celery with peanut butter I
: know about. Maybe some soups? What do you like? *TIA...
:
:
:I can use an entire bunch of celery in a stir fry... onions, bean sprouts,
:napa, garlic, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, lotta gloppy sauce, LO
ork/chicken... think chow mein.... n' fly lice. *Even better cold for
:breakfast... if you say you don't eat cold from the fridge LOs then you
:won't make it single, better find a mate.

Ah, a mate is on my agenda for certain!

LOs is something I'm very into. I don't cook in my microwave, I reheat!

Dan

Dan,
Don't worry. Nobody cooks in a microwave except Barbara Kafka!
Lynn in Fargo
also lots of LOs.
Old 23-03-2009, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Dan Musicant ) wrote:

Yeah, I have been adding chopped celery to my tuna and chicken salads,
but I counted and see I have 4 stalks, not 3 in the fridge. Using it all
before it rots will be a challenge.

It keeps a long time. I keep mine in my fridge vegetable drawer in an
open-end plastic bag.

what they had. Myself (for the soup) I'll probably use nonfat dry milk
instead of cream or 1/2 & 1/2.

Land O'Lakes makes a non-fat half and half. Laden with chemicals,
though.
Old 23-03-2009, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I was looking for a specific celery recipe some years ago, but didn't know
the name. Victor Sack posted this one, which was exactly what I was
looking for. The "Victor" attributed to the recipe is not Victor Sack.

It was billed as the original recipe (in the Time-Life series) but turned
out to have been "adapted/improved". Here is the original recipe, from
Victor Hirtzler's _The Hotel St. Francis Cook Book_:

http://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/cookbooks/coldfusion/display.cfm?ID=hosf&PageNum=342

Victor
Old 24-03-2009, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Dan Musicant ) wrote:

Yeah, I have been adding chopped celery to my tuna and chicken salads,
but I counted and see I have 4 stalks, not 3 in the fridge. Using it all
before it rots will be a challenge.

It keeps a long time. I keep mine in my fridge vegetable drawer in an
open-end plastic bag.

Wrapped in foil seems to help celery stay fresh longer. I read it then
tired it and found it certainly worked for me.

Old 24-03-2009, 05:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Serene Vannoy wrote:
I *love* celery soup.

(snip)
adding more liquid if necessary to keep them covered. At the end,
either puree or don't, depending on your preference, and then add heavy
cream.
Serene

Have you ever used half and half or evaporated milk instead of the heavy
cream, Serene? I'm thinking I'll try evaporated milk to add richness.

Yep, and I've also used whole or nonfat milk, soymilk, rice milk, water
with leftover mashed potatoes mixed in...

Soup, in my house, uses what it can without sacrificing flavor.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Old 24-03-2009, 04:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 22:14:59 -0400, Goomba wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Dan Musicant ) wrote:

Yeah, I have been adding chopped celery to my tuna and chicken salads,
but I counted and see I have 4 stalks, not 3 in the fridge. Using it all
before it rots will be a challenge.

It keeps a long time. I keep mine in my fridge vegetable drawer in an
open-end plastic bag.

Wrapped in foil seems to help celery stay fresh longer. I read it then
tired it and found it certainly worked for me.

that's what i've been doing of late - wrapping in foil and then putting in
a somewhat large open bag. probably someone here mentioned it.

your pal,
blake
Old 24-03-2009, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
that's what i've been doing of late - wrapping in foil and then
putting in a somewhat large open bag. probably someone here
mentioned it.

Heh, just what I do, prior to tossing it in the trash

O, not a celery lover.

Old 24-03-2009, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

boulanger wrote:

Do you ever use celery root or celeriac?

Very often. It is a common ingredient here, available most everywhere.
It is good in soups and stews, especially if not terribly overcooked.
You can purée the celery root and use it "as is" or mix it with mashed
potatoes. Then, there is that typical bistro dish, céleri rémoulade.
Here is a recipe from _Bistro Cooking_ by Patricia Wells.

It is also from _Bistro Cooking_ by Patricia Wells.

Victor

Céleri Rémoulade
Celery Root in Mustard Sauce

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons imported Dijon mustard or to taste
1 cup crème fraîche or heavy cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 celery root (about 1 pound; 500 g)

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the lemon juice, mustard, crème
fraîche, and salt and pepper to taste; mix thoroughly. Taste and adjust
the seasoning.

2. Quarter the celery root and peel it. Grate coarsely, in a food
processor or on a Mouli grater. Immediately add it to the mustard sauce
and toss to coat. Season to taste. Serve as a first course.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings