Old 01-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Suzanne D. wrote:

So I have no idea how or when to plant garlic, yet it is growing in
spite of me.
--S.

At least I'm not the only one! grin
Most of the 'old timers' I know save their best heads for planting.
Maybe my trouble comes from trying to grow the heads from the store,
I donno. They could be too old by the time I planted them.
I ~do~ know that I love garlic though!
I'm in the U.K. and always plant my garlic in the fall (autumn) when they have a head start on spring sown coves. If you grow from bulbs bought in your local store, they are probably last years bulbs stored over winter at low temperatures (about freezing), and second year cloves do not grow so well.

Bigal
Old 02-04-2009, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

Default ~Best~ time to plant Garlic

I know the taste difference between store bought and fresh bulbs is
dramatic, so I tend to agree with you. I think getting bulbs from a
known good source will solve my problem.

Tim

Old 02-04-2009, 02:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bigal wrote:

I'm in the U.K. and always plant my garlic in the fall (autumn) when
they have a head start on spring sown

There's another factor that doesn't really affect me: some garlic,
particularly hardneck types, needs a particular period of overwinter cold
to do well. Some U.S. seedsmen sell "Cajun" garlic, i.e. suitably for the
Gulf Coast south. Again, getting planting stock close to hope fixes this.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

Again, getting planting stock close to hope fixes this.

You are right. I have done a little more research and found that
not only growing zones, but different areas of the zone may not
be good for certain types of garlic..I think the Mother Earth News
that I read said there were only 4 or 5 varieties that will grow good
in my part of Ohio. Wonder if this holds for 'ramps' too........
Old 02-04-2009, 06:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Tim wrote:

Again, getting planting stock close to hope fixes this.

You are right. I have done a little more research and found that
not only growing zones, but different areas of the zone may not
be good for certain types of garlic..I think the Mother Earth News
that I read said there were only 4 or 5 varieties that will grow good
in my part of Ohio. Wonder if this holds for 'ramps' too........

You may want to ping Charlie an Ohio kind of guy. Means hello in
Japanese I believe.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

We have 5% of the world's population; we have 25% of the world's
known prison population.

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Best time to spray nettles and brambles? Best product Chris Wilson[_2_] United Kingdom 10 24-03-2008 08:04 PM
garlic-time to plant? jim chadwick United Kingdom 14 17-11-2004 12:15 PM
Best time to plant grass in NC M. Osborn Lawns 8 30-09-2003 10:34 PM
When is the best time to prune roses/plant the cuttings? BB North Carolina 4 20-05-2003 06:20 PM