GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Garlic (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/182134-re-garlic.html)

Tim 30-03-2009 02:21 PM

Garlic

Thanks for the replies.

Question though, if I planted in early spring,
and harvest sometime in late summer, wouldn't the
heat and sun have a negative effect on the garlic
in flavor or size, or should they be planted in partial
shade?
As I said, I use containers, so I can plant in full sun
and always move them if need be.

Tim

Gary Woods 30-03-2009 03:22 PM

Garlic

Tim wrote:

Question though, if I planted in early spring,
and harvest sometime in late summer, wouldn't the
heat and sun have a negative effect on the garlic
in flavor or size, or should they be planted in partial
shade?

Garlic is the worst of both worlds: a heavy feeder and a poor collector
of solar energy. So, it needs as much sun as possible.... I can't say what
the effect of containers would be, as I've never grown it that way.
Remember that garlic grows in two phases: Foliage until roughly the
equinox, then bulbs thereafter. Harvest when about half (not all!) of the
tops have turned brown...,. this is to ensure you have good wrappers around
the bulbs, which are actually the bottom of the leaves.

Granby 30-03-2009 06:53 PM

Garlic

FWIW I plant mine in flower pots and keep them on the west side of my house.
They probably don't get as big as in the ground but the taste is still
great. Just remember the water!

Lilah Morgan[_2_] 30-03-2009 07:51 PM

Garlic

I have garlic starts as well, and they're growing very well, but I didn't
have much luck with garlic last year, so this info is appreciated from me as
well.

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
Garlic is the worst of both worlds: a heavy feeder and a poor collector
of solar energy. So, it needs as much sun as possible.... I can't say

what
the effect of containers would be, as I've never grown it that way.
Remember that garlic grows in two phases: Foliage until roughly the
equinox, then bulbs thereafter. Harvest when about half (not all!) of the
tops have turned brown...,. this is to ensure you have good wrappers

around
the bulbs, which are actually the bottom of the leaves.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at

home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

Tim 30-03-2009 09:42 PM

Garlic

/home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic/garlic/index.htm

Wow, lots of garlic info there, thanks !

btw -- 73,

Tim
WN8OAB

babyfazt09 17-04-2009 11:43 PM

Garlic are of many purposes, good thing you have those just in your garden. They are one of those herbal plants that are commonly used for cold and flu. They also treat acne which many of us are so irritated at.