Old 02-04-2009, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Fermented Pickles

In home recipes for fermented ( brined ) dill pickles why is Calcium
Chloride or Sodium Benzoate never called for like they are in the commercial
ones.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Andy Petro" wrote:

In home recipes for fermented ( brined ) dill pickles why is Calcium
Chloride or Sodium Benzoate never called for like they are in the commercial
ones.

Short answer is shelf life. When I have made my own pickles they are
used to extend the harvest usually till next year. Then the cycle is
repeated. I have been know to purchase canned pickles with lactic acid.
Calcium chloride I don't know about. However Sodium Benzoate is death
to my taste buds.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

We have 5% of the world's population; we have 25% of the world's
known prison population.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 12:51:36 -0400, "Andy Petro"
wrote:

In home recipes for fermented ( brined ) dill pickles why is Calcium
Chloride or Sodium Benzoate never called for like they are in the commercial
ones.

CaCl is to keep them crisp, rather than soggy/limp. I've never used
either one when I ferment pickles and haven't had an issue with
sogginess (I do use grape leaves, which add tannic acid - this is
supposed to make them crisper).

When I do it, the ingredients a thick layer of clean, fresh grape
leaves top and bottom; cukes; brine; dill, garlic, dried hot peppers.

- Mark
Old 11-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Registered User

I pickle shallots (do you call them that?) in the UK just using spiced vinegar. However I keep them in a net bag in a dry place for about three months before I pickle them. This takes a lot of water out of them and allows for a better absorption of the vinegar. They stay nice and crisp for about two years and are not too bad at three years, Some people leave them to soak in a strong brine (sodium chloride/salt) solution over night instead as this also removes some of the water. Trying them both together might put some of the water back in.
Bigal (UK)

Pete quick pickles JRYezierski Edible Gardening 0 23-07-2004 11:03 PM
1st time Easy Pickles anyone make some yet? JRYezierski Edible Gardening 0 13-07-2004 09:02 PM
Refrigerator pickles Jackson Lawns 0 13-03-2004 04:24 AM
Speaking of Pickles..... King Pineapple Edible Gardening 0 16-08-2003 04:02 PM
need fresh sweet pickles recipe Zphysics1 Edible Gardening 1 15-07-2003 01:19 AM