GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Basil leaves drooping (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/182474-basil-leaves-drooping.html)

Gardener22 09-04-2009 10:12 PM

Basil leaves drooping

Hi.
My Basil plant leaves are drooping, I have three theories,
1.) I am watering too much (watered it 3 times in one day when I saw it drooping)
2.) Pot is too small (pretty large plant in small pot)
3.) Very Very well drained soil (may be letting moistuire out too fast

I know all of these need resolving but which is the most urgent and which is the most likely to have caused my poor basil plant to droop :(

KELP!!! PWEASE!!!

Pat Kiewicz[_2_] 10-04-2009 11:54 AM

Basil leaves drooping

Gardener22 said:

Hi.
My Basil plant leaves are drooping, I have three theories,
1.) I am watering too much (watered it 3 times in one day when I saw it
drooping)
2.) Pot is too small (pretty large plant in small pot)
3.) Very Very well drained soil (may be letting moistuire out too fast

I know all of these need resolving but which is the most urgent and
which is the most likely to have caused my poor basil plant to droop
:(

Is it outdoors or in a window or greenhouse where it might have been
exposed to unusually cold temperatures? That would add another possible
cause. (Comes to my mind as a possibility because large part of the eastern
and central US has suffered unseasonably cold weather recently.)

Dig a finger down into the soil in the pot.

Is the soil in the pot wet (and maybe has 'off' odor)? This is bad. If some
sort of fungal root-rot has set in, the basil may be doomed.

Or is the soil dry? When potting soil gets too dry it can be hard to re-wet.
Water tends to run right through the pot rather than be absorbed. In which
case, you need to set the pot in a bucket of water until it fully moistens.

The too small pot issue makes the probability of being too dry too often
a likely thing.

If the basil does recover, it would be best to re-pot it in a more appropriately
sized container.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored