Old 11-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Registered User

Location: Cumbernauld/Paisley
Unhappy A little help please :)

Hi, i have just started growing my own food, i have built a 'patch' in my garden out of fibreglass to grow veg and fruit.
I have planted my seeds but i think i have done it wrong, what i done was put a few seeds in the ground each time and spaced them about, After i done this i was told that you put one seed in the ground not a few like i done.
Will the seeds still grow and give me veg or have i wasted the best part of my easter holidays on this project?
Thanks in advance Gordon.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default A little help please :)

In article ,
New2thegame wrote:

Hi, i have just started growing my own food, i have built a 'patch' in
my garden out of fibreglass to grow veg and fruit.
I have planted my seeds but i think i have done it wrong, what i done
was put a few seeds in the ground each time and spaced them about, After
i done this i was told that you put one seed in the ground not a few
like i done.
Will the seeds still grow and give me veg or have i wasted the best
part of my easter holidays on this project?
Thanks in advance Gordon.

You done good, Gordon. Gordon, good gardener. The seeds don't give you
100% germination, so it's good to plant 2 - 3 in the same spot, so that
you don't have gaps of blank soil in your garden.
--

- Billy

Old 16-04-2009, 05:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

New2thegame wrote:
Hi, i have just started growing my own food, i have built a 'patch' in
my garden out of fibreglass to grow veg and fruit.
I have planted my seeds but i think i have done it wrong, what i done
was put a few seeds in the ground each time and spaced them about, After
i done this i was told that you put one seed in the ground not a few
like i done.
Will the seeds still grow and give me veg or have i wasted the best
part of my easter holidays on this project?
Thanks in advance Gordon.

What you should do is wait until the seed germinate and get around
an inch high. Then, thin them out to a single plant, saving the
most promising one. It's ok to plant the seeds thickly, especially
if they are from past seasons. You do have to be willing to thin
them out.

Sherwin
Old 16-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwin dubren View Post
New2thegame wrote:
Hi, i have just started growing my own food, i have built a 'patch' in
my garden out of fibreglass to grow veg and fruit.
I have planted my seeds but i think i have done it wrong, what i done
was put a few seeds in the ground each time and spaced them about, After
i done this i was told that you put one seed in the ground not a few
like i done.
Will the seeds still grow and give me veg or have i wasted the best
part of my easter holidays on this project?
Thanks in advance Gordon.

What you should do is wait until the seed germinate and get around
an inch high. Then, thin them out to a single plant, saving the
most promising one. It's ok to plant the seeds thickly, especially
if they are from past seasons. You do have to be willing to thin
them out.

Sherwin
is it just me who cant bring themselves to bin the other plants when thining out ?

i find i end up planting them all over the place, so what starts off as 1 row of plants usually spreads to every available pot, tub and bucket in my possetion.

regarding the OP for me it depends on how much the seeds cost. if they were cheap i tend to spread em thickly at 1st then thin out, if more expensive i am more careful but plant some extras at the end of my run.

Old 18-04-2009, 06:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Where to buy the best seeds???

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:00:18 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Tim wrote:

Charlie wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 22:05:18 -0700, Billy
wrote:

Must have an asbestos anal sphincter!

Oh puleeeze.....a hardass like you?

Wuss.

Charlie

hehehe....I don't know, it's just never bothered me.
Course, I was raised on chilli dogs from New Castle, Pa,
and the sauce was very tasty & hot..Eh, that was in the sixties, now its
not even there...We used to get 2 quarts of the sauce and put it on
everything from fries to salads....Man was it good.
I do draw the line at biting into a habby, tho...I like to taste my food
along with the flavor of a good pepper.

I am going to have to view the link thats in here somewhere about the
cayenne as I have some heart issues myself. Like the damn thing quits
beating every now and then...You think a hot pepper kicks, ya oughta
feel my defibrillator!

btw -- the Rose hips were to make it smell better!

Tim

News I heard about heart attacks was to keep coughing until the
ambulance arrives.

Maybe, but ya' better shoot some cayenne and aspirin too.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blcpr.htm

http://www.snopes.com/medical/homecure/coughcpr.asp

http://www.americanheart.org/present...dentifier=4535

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cough_CPR

CHarlie

It's a rite of passage Charlie. Your not a "real" man until you've had
your first heart attack.
--

- Billy

Old 19-04-2009, 01:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

Charlie wrote:
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 20:38:54 -0400, Tim wrote:

I am going to have to view the link thats in here somewhere about the
cayenne as I have some heart issues myself. Like the damn thing quits
beating every now and then...You think a hot pepper kicks, ya oughta
feel my defibrillator!
Oh shit......bet that is a hell of a way to be awakened! When it
gives you a jolt, does it make you react like somebody goosed ya or
blurt out a Tourrette's type of thing? ;-)
Charlie

It's really never happened when I'm asleep.
To be honest with you, imagine standing with your eyes closed, knowing
that someone has a sledge-hammer in front of you....You don't know when
the hit is coming, but..................Thats about what it feels
like.....

*Are you effing serious!* Whoa...that's like really trippy, but
something to which one becomes accustomed. Better'n the alternative,
no doubt!

lol...yeh, thats what it feels like to me. Some units are set to just
'tickle' the heart to get it to beat normal again, mine is set to knock
me on my keister

Hey, I can still drink some wine, and grow some peppers! It don't get no
better!

I agree and admire your attitude!

I look at it like this, 9 years ago the Docs told me I had five years to
live...So I spent those five living, enjoying sunsets, really looking at
my wifes flower garden etc...I really believe that mental health leads
to physical health....that and the three kids finally all moved out! lol.

Tim
Old 20-04-2009, 01:38 AM
Registered User

It is better to plant more seeds as stated above . I always do this when gardening as you have a better chance of a better crop
__________________
Carp fishing
Repairs UK
Old 23-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Registered User

Location: Cumbernauld/Paisley
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
It is better to plant more seeds as stated above . I always do this when gardening as you have a better chance of a better crop
Thanks for the help guys, More is always welcome as im just learning and id like to where ive gone wrong or right, once again thank you, Gordon.