Old 17-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedda Lettis View Post

Where I live they're all carrying the expensive, over-priced Bonni veggie
plants. Since I have a hobby greenhouse and a sunroom, I start my own
veggies for a fraction of the rip-off prices stores charge. I use to start
them in a large south facing window. They do fine.

Yes, fertilizer has gone up in the past 2 or 3 years.
space depending you could get a mobile chicken coupe.

chicken muck is fantastic fertilizer, and where ever chickens are the following year the soil should be good.

not only that but you get eggs and sunday lunch too

i keep toying with the idea of getting half a dozen for my back garden.
Old 18-04-2009, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Pricing nonsense

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , Charlie wrote:
Jabbering by Dioclese ----- ?
Amen Brother, I've been preachin' this for years and I ain't been
hearing much agreement, 'cept from the few of you.

Charlie

(kinda sorta related, attitudinally anyway)
http://countercurrents.org/keye140409.htm

Nice riff but was listening to a smart sounding feller this afternoon
talking about how the Romans went back to a subsistent, self sufficient
society, just before they went down the tubes.
- Billy

Nancy, I mean Billy is revising history again..

It's OK everybody, it's just Dave, the right-wing nut case, equivocating
as usual. No facts. No logic. Just a sock puppet regurgitating what he
was told to say.

Tea Parties Forever
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/13/op...=1&scp=2&sq=te
a%20party&st=cse

Nice crop of nuts though.

Anybody you'd like us to call Dave?
--

- Billy

New York Times? Maybe you're not paying attention to what some news
reporters are doing in their endevour to get so-called news. Nancy doesn't
read everything, or, rather anything that should be read before signing.

Nuts? No, that's the general population. Different, yes. They're not all
the same and like you as you would like us all to be Nancy.

Call? Nope, it doesn't take a genius to fund sources of tea parties info
and their own declared basis for these legal, quiet protests. Has little to
do with protesting taxes, just why new taxes are needed, spending. That
would put Nancy out of work, oops.
--
Dave
April 16th, 2009 Day 1 post Tea Party.
This day in history occurred:
Nancy Pelosi response was undignified per her allegation that such are
funded by right wing money big money and attended exclusively by right wing
extremists.
White House staff indicated that officially not recognizing the nation-wide
gatherings in any fashion.
Some news reporters were found attempting to goad responses from attendees
at the gatherings with response not filling their (some news reporters) TV
political needs. Too bad for them.
Woebama in Mexico. 2nd amendment rights being pinged again. Ignoring
locking down the U.S/Mexico border again.
We the people...
No political party or otherwise in that.
Locked signature to prevent subsequent historical revisionism.

Old 19-04-2009, 09:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Charlie" wrote in message

Vive la révolution de jardin
Charlie

"While it is true that many people simply can't afford to pay more for
food, either in money or time or both, many more of us can. After all,
just in the last decade or two we've somehow found the time in the day
to spend several hours on the internet and the money in the budget not
only to pay for broadband service, but to cover a second phone bill
and a new monthly bill for television, formerly free. For the majority
of Americans, spending more for better food is less a matter of
ability than priority. p.187"
- Michael Pollan (In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto)

Your sig line makes me laugh. It is true, people who are willing to spend
extra on services they don't need will turn up their noses at spending more
for better food, citing that fresh foods and organic produce are just too
expensive. Most people would rather live on macaroni and frozen entrees so
that they can afford their second car and their cable TV. Any time I hear
people in my community--where the houses are large and the cars
impressive--complaining of not having enough money to buy good food, I
scratch my head in confusion. To me, food is the FIRST priority. I let my
kids run wild in the produce section, and I don't even look at the prices.
The cost is irrelevant; eating well is top priority. And if that means I
have to see fewer movies or buy fewer CDs, oh well. The health of me and my
family comes first. It's insane to ration where food quality is concerned.
--S.

Old 21-04-2009, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Charlie" wrote in message

THe grands love being in the garden and sampling veggies fresh from
the vine, ground, etc. We always have pots with cherry tomatoes on
the patio and they graze on them all day.

I have four boys, ages 3-12, and they all LOVE vegetables. We have a
sizeable garden, and in the summer it is the norm for them to play outside
and nibble all day as they go. A cucumber in one hand, tomato in the other,
mouth full of beans or baby corn--this is their season! They are fussing
because it's been months since they've gotten to pick stuff. Everyone is
eyeing the pea vines and newly-flowering pepper plants with greed. Already
nibbling parsley because it's the only thing edible right now. I think
having your own garden is the best way to get kids interested in eating
vegetables.
--S.

Old 21-04-2009, 02:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Suzanne D." wrote:

"Charlie" wrote in message

THe grands love being in the garden and sampling veggies fresh from
the vine, ground, etc. We always have pots with cherry tomatoes on
the patio and they graze on them all day.

I have four boys, ages 3-12, and they all LOVE vegetables. We have a
sizeable garden, and in the summer it is the norm for them to play outside
and nibble all day as they go. A cucumber in one hand, tomato in the other,
mouth full of beans or baby corn--this is their season! They are fussing
because it's been months since they've gotten to pick stuff. Everyone is
eyeing the pea vines and newly-flowering pepper plants with greed. Already
nibbling parsley because it's the only thing edible right now. I think
having your own garden is the best way to get kids interested in eating
vegetables.
--S.

The best of times.

Enjoying life !

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

Old 21-04-2009, 02:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

Bill wrote:
In article ,
"Suzanne D." wrote:

"Charlie" wrote in message

[...]

Indeed, I agree! I remember my daughter pulling up my radish plants
and munching away..Soil and all. This will be the first summer my GD is
going to help her Zeto in the garden, I'm looking forward to it,
although I may need to fence in the 'maters. 8-).....Nah, let'r pick.

--
Tim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ "Strange days indeed." +
+ Dr. Winston O'Boogie +
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 21-04-2009, 08:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Tim" wrote in message news:SY8Hl.25089
Indeed, I agree! I remember my daughter pulling up my radish plants
and munching away..Soil and all.

Yep, my 2-year-old last year never bothered to clean off his carrots. He
hasn't died yet, so I guess it was okay.

This will be the first summer my GD is going to help her Zeto in the
garden, I'm looking forward to it, although I may need to fence in the
'maters. 8-).....Nah, let'r pick.

Absolutely. Now, I admit that when the tomatoes are fairly new and sparse,
I sometimes tell the kids to lay off certain plants, knowing that I will
need those fruits myself soon. Same with pickling cukes when I need a whole
batch of a specific size. But when summer's on and the plants are producing
all over the place, the kids get free roam of the garden. Nothing
healthier, and it doesn't last, so why not? (We also have numerous apricot,
peach, cherry, and other fruit trees that the kids get first pick from,
before we gather the rest for jam or wine.)
--S.

Advice on how to stop downloading nonsense please Judith Lea United Kingdom 43 03-03-2006 05:34 PM
plant a tree of nonsense & watch it grow! The Admiral Gardening 0 03-12-2004 08:42 PM
Nonsense Iris Cohen Plant Science 2 26-04-2003 02:30 PM
Nightshade Nonsense Iris Cohen Plant Science 15 26-04-2003 02:24 PM
More Nonsense Cereoid+10 Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 02:24 PM