Old 19-04-2009, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,alt.home.repair

Default What to do with dead squirrel?

Last evening I saw it, traumatized by a blow to the head or neck from
the rat trap it had hit in my backyard. The trap was tethered to a tree.
The bugger (or its cousin) has been digging up my newly planted squash
seeds and this is the only way I've been able to control (somewhat) the
problem.

This morning it's surely dead (I saw one, maybe the same one) that was
evidently stunned from hitting the trap a few days ago, looking dead,
but when I turned my back it darted away.

Warm weather is expected the next few days here in Berkeley, CA (~80
degrees) and wonder about putting it in plastic bags (nested) in my
trash container, pickup being Wednesday morning. Call a city agency?
Bury it in my back yard? What would you do?

Dan
Old 19-04-2009, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,alt.home.repair

"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
Last evening I saw it, traumatized by a blow to the head or neck from
the rat trap it had hit in my backyard. The trap was tethered to a tree.
The bugger (or its cousin) has been digging up my newly planted squash
seeds and this is the only way I've been able to control (somewhat) the
problem.

This morning it's surely dead (I saw one, maybe the same one) that was
evidently stunned from hitting the trap a few days ago, looking dead,
but when I turned my back it darted away.

Warm weather is expected the next few days here in Berkeley, CA (~80
degrees) and wonder about putting it in plastic bags (nested) in my
trash container, pickup being Wednesday morning. Call a city agency?
Bury it in my back yard? What would you do?

Dan

In the trash with it. And, get a roll of chicken wire. Lay pieces on the
ground over your seeds, slightly arched, and weighted down at the edges with
bricks. Works like a charm.

Old 19-04-2009, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Apr 19, 10:24*am, Dan Musicant ) wrote:
Last evening I saw it, traumatized by a blow to the head or neck from
the rat trap it had hit in my backyard. The trap was tethered to a tree.
The bugger (or its cousin) has been digging up my newly planted squash
seeds and this is the only way I've been able to control (somewhat) the
problem.

This morning it's surely dead (I saw one, maybe the same one) that was
evidently stunned from hitting the trap a few days ago, looking dead,
but when I turned my back it darted away.

Warm weather is expected the next few days here in Berkeley, CA (~80
degrees) and wonder about putting it in plastic bags (nested) in my
trash container, pickup being Wednesday morning. Call a city agency?
Bury it in my back yard? What would you do?

Dan

Too bad you waited so long, but it's probably salvageable. Skin it,
gut it, cut it up and add it to spaghetti sauce. They are good eating.
Old 19-04-2009, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,alt.home.repair

Pat wrote:
[...]

No dead squirrels here, but I do get the occasional dead bird after they
have turf battles with their reflections in my sliding doors (in spite
of keeping them dirty and using those raptor shadow stickers). I just
pick them up with the trusty scoop shovel, and chuck them over the fence
into the woods. Something eats them.

--
aem sends...
Old 19-04-2009, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,alt.home.repair

http://www.bowhunting.net/susieq/squirrel.html

Old 19-04-2009, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Pat wrote:

[...]

Wondering if you ever soaked the cut up parts in brine first ? We did
this with rabbit.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

Old 19-04-2009, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,alt.home.repair

"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
Last evening I saw it, traumatized by a blow to the head or neck from
the rat trap it had hit in my backyard. The trap was tethered to a tree.
The bugger (or its cousin) has been digging up my newly planted squash
seeds and this is the only way I've been able to control (somewhat) the
problem.

This morning it's surely dead (I saw one, maybe the same one) that was
evidently stunned from hitting the trap a few days ago, looking dead,
but when I turned my back it darted away.

Warm weather is expected the next few days here in Berkeley, CA (~80
degrees) and wonder about putting it in plastic bags (nested) in my
trash container, pickup being Wednesday morning. Call a city agency?
Bury it in my back yard? What would you do?

Dan

Got a neighbor you don't like?

Old 19-04-2009, 06:01 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,alt.home.repair

"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
Last evening I saw it, traumatized by a blow to the head or neck from
the rat trap it had hit in my backyard. The trap was tethered to a tree.
The bugger (or its cousin) has been digging up my newly planted squash
seeds and this is the only way I've been able to control (somewhat) the
problem.

This morning it's surely dead (I saw one, maybe the same one) that was
evidently stunned from hitting the trap a few days ago, looking dead,
but when I turned my back it darted away.

Warm weather is expected the next few days here in Berkeley, CA (~80
degrees) and wonder about putting it in plastic bags (nested) in my
trash container, pickup being Wednesday morning. Call a city agency?
Bury it in my back yard? What would you do?

Dan

....only in California....

Old 19-04-2009, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 10:29*am, Pat wrote:
[...]

gut it, cut it up and add it to spaghetti sauce. *They are good eating.- Hide quoted text -

I use them in Brunswick stew.

Jimmie
Old 19-04-2009, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 12:28*pm, wrote:
leave it out in the bushes for predators to find it. *

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 07:24:41 -0700, Dan Musicant ) wrote:
Last evening I saw it, traumatized by a blow to the head or neck from
the rat trap it had hit in my backyard. The trap was tethered to a tree.
The bugger (or its cousin) has been digging up my newly planted squash
seeds and this is the only way I've been able to control (somewhat) the
problem.

This morning it's surely dead (I saw one, maybe the same one) that was
evidently stunned from hitting the trap a few days ago, looking dead,
but when I turned my back it darted away.

Warm weather is expected the next few days here in Berkeley, CA (~80
degrees) and wonder about putting it in plastic bags (nested) in my
trash container, pickup being Wednesday morning. Call a city agency?
Bury it in my back yard? What would you do?

Dan- Hide quoted text -

Vermin that get in my garden ususally become fertilizer for the garden
if I catch them. I just pitch them in the compost heap. Ive never
noticed any odor from it .

Jimmie
Old 19-04-2009, 07:10 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,alt.home.repair
Val Val is offline

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

JOE! I've missed you big guy. Nice of you to pop in

Val