Old 21-04-2009, 11:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Time release fertilizers

"Tim" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article ,
Tim wrote:

nanzi wrote:
On Apr 20, 10:12 am, Tim wrote:
I grow everything in containers, and use Pro-Mix BX as the soil
medium.
Very happy with it. It drains so well, I worry that the water soluble
fertilizer leeches out too quick. A garden expert whose podcast I
listen
to Ron Wilson is an avid proponent of Osmakote, a time release
fertilizer.
Does anyone use a time release, and how do you think it works for you?
Do you still give your plants extra feedings?

Tim

Pro-Mixhttp://www.greenhousemegastore.com/Pro-Mix-BX-38CF-Compressed/produc
t...

Osmakotehttp://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?tabs=usage&pr
oI...
I have used Osmakote for a couple of years with good results, and I do
not feed inbetween.
Thanks !
Perhaps I will try it this year..It does surprise me that no other
feedings are needed, I thought maybe once a month or so, but if you are
happy with the results...............

Tim

btw--Down boy, down....I figured I may get some grumbles from this,
but I have to ask questions based on what I do...
See Charlie, it sure didn't take me long!! P-)

Yeah, it's all there in black and white for everyone to see. You don't
even know the name of the poison that you use, "Osmocote". That really
encourages the faint hope that you can use it wisely. There are just no
words to describe your brilliance. None at all.

lol...Doesn't take much to get you riled, does it?
Well, as long as you feel better.

Tim, I think the point Billy is making, and perhaps not a bad point either,
is think about other sorts of time release fertilisers also. Poop based
fertilisers for example are also slow release but are also good for your
soil. Don't just look at symthetic slow release, think about natural
fertilisers that deliver a managed amount of nutrients to your plants and
also do some benefit to your soils.

rob

Old 21-04-2009, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

George.com wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article ,
Tim wrote:

nanzi wrote:
On Apr 20, 10:12 am, Tim wrote:
[...]

Hi Rob. Thanks for the well written post.
At the beginning of each growing season, I do mix in some
composted poop into my containers.

--
Tim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ "Strange days indeed." +
+ Dr. Winston O'Boogie +
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 22-04-2009, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 18:58:19 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Bill wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Humankind has not woven the web of life.* We are but one thread within
it.* Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.* All things are
bound together.* All things connect.* ~Chief Seattle, 1855

Heavy storm has our cat hiding
Just noise and wind and light
Still it affects me and mind

Easy to notice the connection to nature
When it yells at us

Difficult to recognize subtleness over time
Sort of like the US graduated tax system
Place a frog in hot water and it jumps
Heat slowly and no jump

Lack of toads
I think of mistakes.... seeing and wonder why

Still after the perilous winter perennials appearing

Spring and more wonder to come

Bill

The brushwood,
Though cut for fuel,
Is beginning to bud.
- Boncho

Original thought
Can be more interesting
Than cut and paste.

Kate - just sayin'
Old 22-04-2009, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Rick wrote:

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 23:55:17 -0400, Tim wrote:

FarmI wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
I grow everything in containers, and use Pro-Mix BX as the soil medium.
Very happy with it. It drains so well, I worry that the water soluble
fertilizer leeches out too quick. A garden expert whose podcast I listen

to Ron Wilson is an avid proponent of Osmakote, a time release
fertilizer.
Does anyone use a time release, and how do you think it works for you?
Do you still give your plants extra feedings?

I use Osmacote for indoor plants and pot plants. I'd never consider using
it for something I planned to eat.

Ok, round two....8-)
Please explain.
And btw, thanks for your input

It works great for heavy feeders like the strawberries I grow in
containers on the deck. It is not "organic" but actually it is made
from organic materials. I do, however, supplement on occasion, but
only with an occasional feeding when growth is rapid or a lot of
berries are forming.

Is he lazy or just malicious.
His senses are disconnected from rational thought.

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/whoOwnsLifeNotMonsanto.php
Who Owns Life? Not Monsanto.

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/DMPGR.php
Death by Multiple Poisoning, Glyphosate and Roundup

Four different Roundup formulations of the herbicide glyphyosate
manufactured by Monsanto are highly toxic to human cells, and at
concentrations far below the recommended agricultural use levels.
Researchers at the Institute of Biology in Caen , France published their
latest results in the current issue of Chemical Research in Toxicology

http://www.naturalnews.com/023254.html
Monsanto: History of Contamination and Cover-up

http://deltafarmpress.com/news/070903-Monsanto-Patent/
Monsanto seed patent 'rejections' leave questions
Sep 3, 2007 5:06 PM, By David Bennett
Farm Press Editorial Staff

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/f...monsanto200805
Monsanto's Harvest of Fear

Know your enemy.
Archer Daniels Midland, ConAgra, Cargill, American Cyanamid, Ciba-Geigy,
Monsanto, Dow, and Syngenta are the most obvious.

They want to be paid, every time you eat.
--

- Billy

Old 22-04-2009, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Tim" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
I grow everything in containers, and use Pro-Mix BX as the soil medium.
Very happy with it. It drains so well, I worry that the water soluble
fertilizer leeches out too quick. A garden expert whose podcast I listen
to Ron Wilson is an avid proponent of Osmakote, a time release
fertilizer.
Does anyone use a time release, and how do you think it works for you?
Do you still give your plants extra feedings?

I use Osmacote for indoor plants and pot plants. I'd never consider
using it for something I planned to eat.

Ok, round two....8-)
Please explain.
And btw, thanks for your input!

For decorative plants, I am concerned about how they look therefore the
bigger and more overblown they are the better they meet that criteria.
Chemicals do that in bucket loads - think gross or force feeding.

For food, I am concerned about taste, nutritional quality, yield and
keeping ability. Organic growing gives me that although given that I use
trace elements once a year that come in a pack I don't claim to be a true
organic grower. I use only animal manures, compost and teas however on beds
in additon to the once yearly trace elements. I started my veg garden on
dirt (not soil) that looked and acted like concrete and where not an
earthworm was to be seen.

Justification for that would be impossible to do in a post as I'd have to
give you 40 years reading, and garden observation cut to less than a bone.
Some clues: Billy's post about soil biota and ad to that brix and baume.
Do a google.

Old 22-04-2009, 03:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message

You cheat your plant. You fudge on helping the planet. You are an
embarrassment to ecologists. You are of no help to anyone. When the
planet dies, you may not protest.

Billy, I think you are being a bit harsh on this occasion. At least Tim
seems to be interested enough to be asking questions and trying to
understand organics vs chemicals. The same could not be said for some of
the 'nuke it till it glows' trolls we've had here.

decades ago, I began gardening using chemicals. It didn't take me long to
realise the error of my ways but I suspect most people in the western world
begin gardening that way. The chemical companies employ very good mind
bending advertising agencies.

Old 22-04-2009, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Tim" wrote in message
George.com wrote:

Tim, I think the point Billy is making, and perhaps not a bad point
either, is think about other sorts of time release fertilisers also. Poop
based fertilisers for example are also slow release but are also good for
your soil. Don't just look at symthetic slow release, think about natural
fertilisers that deliver a managed amount of nutrients to your plants
and also do some benefit to your soils.

Hi Rob. Thanks for the well written post.
At the beginning of each growing season, I do mix in some
composted poop into my containers.

And what do you observe? Have you tried using only composted poop in one
lot, a mix of composted poopand chemicals in another lot and just chenmicals
in a third lot?

I wouldn't mind betting pounds to peanuts that the chemical lot looks fat
and huge.

Old 22-04-2009, 07:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

You cheat your plant. You fudge on helping the planet. You are an
embarrassment to ecologists. You are of no help to anyone. When the
planet dies, you may not protest.

Billy, I think you are being a bit harsh on this occasion. At least Tim
seems to be interested enough to be asking questions and trying to
understand organics vs chemicals. The same could not be said for some of
the 'nuke it till it glows' trolls we've had here.

decades ago, I began gardening using chemicals. It didn't take me long to
realise the error of my ways but I suspect most people in the western world
begin gardening that way. The chemical companies employ very good mind
bending advertising agencies.

You don't like my pedagogical approach? Hmmmm. I was just trying to get
his attention. Sometimes you need a very large 2" X 4". The length gives
more leverage. He does seem a nice enough chap but he is proposing
something very stupid. Very small to be sure, but stupid none the less.
Organic costs nothing but our kitchen scraps. He is willing to give
Monsanto money for the ability to kill topsoil.
You think a charm offensive is better? OK, I'll go brush my teeth.
I appreciate the thought, truly. You not the first to mention my bedside
manner needs some attending to.

All the best.
--

- Billy

Old 22-04-2009, 08:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

old *******

Hey! I represent that remark. Humph.

Odd you planting Jersey Giants tomorrow, I'm planting UC 157.
Planning on getting an early start and it should be cooler. Hit 95F
(35C) today after 68F (20C) a couple of days ago. I came back from
shopping feeling as light headed as an old man.
I plan on starting early tomorrow and the high is only supposed to be
81F (27C). Sliding back to 66F (19C) on Friday. Eating from the salad
patch and the carrots are showing. I'll enjoy my head start for awhile
but your warm evenings will have you out in front of me in no time.

The hanging petunias are showing very nicely. They may replace some
geraniums that have gone toes (?) up.

When one of my plants dies, I die a little inside, too. ~Linda Solegato
--

- Billy

Old 23-04-2009, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

FarmI wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
George.com wrote:

Tim, I think the point Billy is making, and perhaps not a bad point
either, is think about other sorts of time release fertilisers also. Poop
based fertilisers for example are also slow release but are also good for
your soil. Don't just look at symthetic slow release, think about natural
fertilisers that deliver a managed amount of nutrients to your plants
and also do some benefit to your soils.

Hi Rob. Thanks for the well written post.
At the beginning of each growing season, I do mix in some
composted poop into my containers.

And what do you observe? Have you tried using only composted poop in one
lot, a mix of composted poopand chemicals in another lot and just chenmicals
in a third lot?

I wouldn't mind betting pounds to peanuts that the chemical lot looks fat
and huge.

First of all...THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your
prior post. 8-) If I needed attention getting, I wouldn't be here.

Now, no I never did that experiment!
But you raised a good point in "taste".
Thats one area I've never even thought about..Used to be in my raised
beds my peppers seemed at least in memory hotter, I donno. They seem
to be every bit as big, and colorfull, etc...But I can't swear to the taste.
Are you saying to just use the compost with NO other type of feeding?
My soil-less medium has no food of it's own, what else can be mixed in?
Remember, I barely have room for my pots, so a mulch or compost pile is out.

--
Tim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ "Strange days indeed." +
+ Dr. Winston O'Boogie +
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 23-04-2009, 07:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message

[...]

Billy, I have no objection whatsoever to you or anyone taking a baseball bat
to someone who shows either their disagreeable side or who writes idiotic
things. Lord knows I've done it often enough myself.

What I do have a problem with is if you do it without first doing some
analysis of the thread. Tim made sensible responses in answer to points
raised so all I was trying to do was to point out that he hadn't shown any
indications so far in the thread of being a troll. Don't clean you teeth
yet, they might fall out because of the shock you've given them :-))

Old 23-04-2009, 07:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Tim" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
George.com wrote:

[...]

Taste is something that can also from vary season to season - yield can also
do the same thing. One of those mysteries of gardening.

Basically most organic gardners tend to think in terms of feeding the soil
rather than feeding the plants. If you have healthy soil, you'll have
healhty plants and things like taste and yield will follow from that.
That's a bit general as some plants have specific needs but it's close
enough at the moment.

Are you saying to just use the compost with NO other type of feeding?
My soil-less medium has no food of it's own, what else can be mixed in?
Remember, I barely have room for my pots, so a mulch or compost pile is
out.

Even if you can't have a compost pile, have you considered Bokashi
composting? ( http://www.bokashi.com.au/How-Bokashi-works.htm ) and you
could possibly have a worm farm in the space of one large pot. I used to
shove my worm food through the food processor before putting it in my worm
farm. Not always a pretty sight in the domestic fod processor.

Space for storage sounds like it could be a problem for you, but all
gardeners who garden organically seem to find a spot to store the more bulky
things that we all have. A pot or bag of chemicals takes up little space
but not so organics.

I don't know which country you live in so I can't be too specific on
products or suppliers but look for animal manures, blood and bone and rock
minerals. And if there is any doubt about the quality of those products
spend the extra money and buy organic. Good quality animal manures and
blood and bone have a very distinctive smell. Chemicals smell of chemicals
whereas animal products have a distinct animally/earthy smell. It's a smell
I love, but YMMV.

Any farms near you, or stables or mushroom farms?

Old 23-04-2009, 09:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,

"Billy" wrote in message

[...]

No mum, no sign at all, but I did catch a hint of doubt, of vacillation.
I just hates vacillation when it comes to Archer Daniels Midland,
ConAgra, Cargill, American Cyanamid, Ciba-Geigy, Monsanto, or Syngenta.
Grrr - owwl

Don't clean you teeth
yet, they might fall out because of the shock you've given them :-))

Yes mum, I was just goin' to bush them out a bit, sort of a comb over;O)
--

- Billy