Old 23-04-2009, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Gardening Project for Kindergarten

I am teaching a kindergarten class about plants and one of the "science"
projects is growing a series of plants from seedlings. I've planned out my
plants but would like them to see them before we leave for the summer.

Is there a way of assisting the initial growth of the seedlings?

Many thanks.

The Ranger

Old 23-04-2009, 02:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Why didn't you plant radishes to start with? The kids could've eaten them
before summer break.

In answer to your question, some seeds respond well to gentle bottom heat.

Steve
ndwidth...

Old 23-04-2009, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

Why didn't you plant radishes to start with? The kids could've eaten them
before summer break.

Great idea. If you have six weeks left, give it a go.

In answer to your question, some seeds respond well to gentle bottom heat.

And some don't. Squash, and corn definitely do.

Steve
ndwidth...

--

- Billy

Old 23-04-2009, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
says...
Why didn't you plant radishes to start with? The kids could've eaten them
before summer break.

Because most people don't know how fast radishes come on.
Old 23-04-2009, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , phorbin1
@yahoo.com says...
In article ,
says...
Why didn't you plant radishes to start with? The kids could've eaten them
before summer break.

Because most people don't know how fast radishes come on.

That is, most people who haven't grown radishes don't know.

The OP sounds kinda new.

Old 24-04-2009, 04:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Peek wrote in message
"The Ranger" wrote in message
ndwidth...
I am teaching a kindergarten class about plants and one of
the "science" projects is growing a series of plants from
seedlings. I've planned out my plants but would like them
to see them before we leave for the summer.

Is there a way of assisting the initial growth of the seedlings?

Why didn't you plant radishes to start with? The kids could've
eaten them before summer break.

In answer to your question, some seeds respond well to
gentle bottom heat.

Didn't know about radishes (or other tubers) growing quickly. I'm _usually_
given more time which has always allowed a good growth for tracking. The
best experiment was sunflowers but that was three years ago so my memory
might be a little rosey in hue.

Thanks for the idea. I'll give it a try.

The kids were excited when they got to choose their own peppers (jalapenos,
seranos, and Anaheim) to plant. They also planted sweet basil, cilantro, and
mint in pots they painted...

The Ranger

Old 24-04-2009, 04:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

phorbin wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Why didn't you plant radishes to start with? The kids could've
eaten them before summer break.

Because most people don't know how fast radishes come on.

Bingo. Is there a growth rate charted (somewhere on Da Net) of the different
garden plants?

The Ranger

Old 24-04-2009, 04:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

phorbin wrote in message
[snip]
The OP sounds kinda new.

Not too new but certainly not a seasoned veteran of seedlings. It's never
been an issue prior with the end-of-year looming so quickly. It's hell being
queued at the end of a kit cycle.

The Ranger

Old 24-04-2009, 07:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"The Ranger" wrote in message
ndwidth...
I am teaching a kindergarten class about plants and one of the "science"
projects is growing a series of plants from seedlings. I've planned out my
plants but would like them to see them before we leave for the summer.
Is there a way of assisting the initial growth of the seedlings?

Heat helps, but plants have their own maturity times, and germination of a
couple of days earlier is not going to get you results much faster in the
long run.

Maybe you could plant something that they could take home and nurture after
school ends. If each child brings in a small plastic container with a
hinged lid (like the ones cherry tomatoes come in), they could make a salad
garden with a sprinkle of lettuce seeds in the middle, surrounded by green
onions. The onions will be fun to taste long before they are ready to
harvest, and baby lettuce can be nibbled on too, so the kids could get a
little taste of their work before school ends. Then they could take it home
and keep it watered for their own summer salads.
--S.

Old 24-04-2009, 10:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article dth,
"The Ranger" wrote:

phorbin wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Why didn't you plant radishes to start with? The kids could've
eaten them before summer break.

Because most people don't know how fast radishes come on.

Bingo. Is there a growth rate charted (somewhere on Da Net) of the different
garden plants?

The Ranger

http://www.franklincswcd.org/acrobat/seedslist_09.pdf

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

Old 24-04-2009, 04:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"The Ranger" wrote in message
ndwidth...
Steve Peek wrote in message
"The Ranger" wrote in message
ndwidth...
[...]

Send the plants home and have the kids bring you produce next term.
Steve

Old 24-04-2009, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill wrote:

http://www.franklincswcd.org/acrobat/seedslist_09.pdf

Bim-batta-boom.
See above link for "Easter Egg Radish"- (25 days)

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

You be da man Bill.
--

- Billy

Old 24-04-2009, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

"The Ranger" wrote in message
ndwidth...
Steve Peek wrote in message
"The Ranger" wrote in message
ndwidth...
[...]

Maybe you can arrange for the 1st grade teacher to give them extra
credit for the project but two and a half months seems like a long time
for your average kindergardener to stay focused. Stress,
negative reinforcement, doesn't make for life time learners.

I'd go for the "Easter Egg Radish"- (25 days)
http://www.franklincswcd.org/acrobat/seedslist_09.pdf
A local nursery may have the seeds. You only need four weeks,
--

- Billy

Old 24-04-2009, 11:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bill wrote:

http://www.franklincswcd.org/acrobat/seedslist_09.pdf

Bim-batta-boom.
See above link for "Easter Egg Radish"- (25 days)

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

You be da man Bill.

Google is a wonderful tool sort of like walking into your local
library. However no one helps define the question in Goggle. This is
Crucial and it sort of predicates that you in away already know what you
want more info about. So how to define the question becomes of import.

If you are looking about for competitor info sometimes a misspelled
word opens doors.

Bottom line one must study /read /do stuff to ask a question that is
possible to be defined. Otherwise like goggle says "I feel lucky "

Perhaps in the future a front end to the goggle stuff will mimic what
the folks that pay for info like a Y graph of where the info resides to
help find the info of import.

Bill who had a Scifinder chair from CAS when I worked for the man.

BTW REAL INFO MUST BE PURCHASED GEOREF close as I got.