Old 23-04-2009, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Broad beans

Helo group

UK gardener here

I am trying to solve a problem which I had last year as a newbie gardener.

50% of my broad beans were empty!...fertiliser?

I have 250 in at home and my allotment and don't really want the same
problem this year.

I don't want to use man made chemical fertlisers for obvious reasons.

I have googled to distraction and can't find a 'proper' answer cos all of
them want to sell me seeds or a coservatory or something.

Experienced growers in this group is my final search on this, and I would
be greatful for advice.

Take care
Part_No
Old 23-04-2009, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Part_No" wrote:

Helo group

UK gardener here

I am trying to solve a problem which I had last year as a newbie gardener.

50% of my broad beans were empty!...fertiliser?

I have 250 in at home and my allotment and don't really want the same
problem this year.

I don't want to use man made chemical fertlisers for obvious reasons.

I have googled to distraction and can't find a 'proper' answer cos all of
them want to sell me seeds or a coservatory or something.

Experienced growers in this group is my final search on this, and I would
be greatful for advice.

Take care
Part_No

Worth a few minutes .

Bill

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-fava-beans.htm

http://tinyurl.com/d6f6kn

http://heritage.scotsman.com/recipes...-beans.4280888.
jp

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

Old 25-04-2009, 04:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Part_No wrote:
Helo group

UK gardener here

I am trying to solve a problem which I had last year as a newbie
gardener.

50% of my broad beans were empty!...fertiliser?

Did they flower well? If not you may have a soil fertility problem, try a
potash supplement. Sulphate of potash (potassium sulphate) is generally
accepted by organic farmers despite being out of a "test tube". If you
cannot accept that then your choices are quite limited as there are few
natural products that are really high in potassium. Some manures and
composts contain a bit. You can make actual potash (by burning plant
material) but it will be alkaline, which may or may not be good for your
soil. You may be able to source some other organic supplement that will
suit.

If they did flower well your problem could be two things. Broad beans will
wind pollinate to some extent but pollination is greatly increased by bees.
Are bees common around the plants during their flowering season?

The other problem is the beans could be too inbred. Have you tried seed
from different sources?

I have 250 in at home and my allotment and don't really want the same
problem this year.

I don't want to use man made chemical fertlisers for obvious reasons.

I have googled to distraction and can't find a 'proper' answer cos
all of them want to sell me seeds or a coservatory or something.

Experienced growers in this group is my final search on this, and I
would be greatful for advice.

I don't want to sell you anything but if anything I say turns out to
actually fix the problem please let me know.

David