Old 26-04-2009, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Sprinkler pipe questions

We're getting ready to plant here. I have PVC lines into my garden. I want
to put long pipes of the black ABS, half inch or so. I know I need to put
pressure reducers at the beginning of the lines. What about stubbing off
the other end? I've seen it folded over and held with baling wire. Is that
okay, or is there a plug that goes on the end? And what about soaker hose.
I know there are various capacity of emitters, is that the same for soaker
hoses?

Last year, we just ran the water through bubblers and into rows, but the
watering was uneven, with some things dry, and some things flooded.

Helps and tips appreciated for this newbie.

We're going to put up a trellis, with some shade cloth and some spraying
hoses, as the sun gets brutal here in summer.

Steve

Old 27-04-2009, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
z z is offline

On Apr 25, 8:22*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
*And what about soaker hose.
I know there are various capacity of emitters, is that the same for soaker
hoses?

i'm a soaker hose guy. comes in a couple of different diameters, which
i figure relates to output rate. otherwise i haven't seen it rated.
as seemed obvious to me, i just calibrate it by sticking it in a
bucket, hooking it up to the appropriate pressure, and calculating the
gallons per minute per foot.
Old 27-04-2009, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"z" wrote in message
On Apr 25, 8:22 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
And what about soaker hose.
I know there are various capacity of emitters, is that the same for soaker
hoses?

i'm a soaker hose guy. comes in a couple of different diameters, which
i figure relates to output rate. otherwise i haven't seen it rated.
as seemed obvious to me, i just calibrate it by sticking it in a
bucket, hooking it up to the appropriate pressure, and calculating the
gallons per minute per foot.

I use soaker hose too. I've found the best is from Lee Valley. Theirs is
rated for gallons per minute, but I just let it go for like 15 minutes,
which is plenty.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...t=2,2280,33160

Old 27-04-2009, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 18:22:24 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

And what about soaker hose.
I know there are various capacity of emitters, is that the same for soaker
hoses?

Howdy,

No expert I, but...

Those that I have used have a "washer" in the intake end.
That washer has a very small hole in the center.

Obviously, that decreases the flow rate into the soaker
hose.

I will also add that soaker hoses seem to vary radically in
quality. We have some that are in good shape after 10 years
of use and others that were falling apart before getting
through one season.

All the best,
--
Kenneth