GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Three sisters garden, day 1 (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/183267-three-sisters-garden-day-1-a.html)

General Schvantzkoph 04-05-2009 12:59 AM

Three sisters garden, day 1

I've planted the first sister (corn), the others will follow when the
corn is 6" high.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bjoshuar...eat=directlink

Suzanne D.[_2_] 04-05-2009 01:47 AM

Three sisters garden, day 1

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
I've planted the first sister (corn), the others will follow when the
corn is 6" high.

My corn, planted about a week ago, is just now peeking through the soil!
--S.

General Schvantzkoph 04-05-2009 02:22 AM

Three sisters garden, day 1

On Sun, 03 May 2009 18:47:26 -0600, Suzanne D. wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
I've planted the first sister (corn), the others will follow when the
corn is 6" high.

My corn, planted about a week ago, is just now peeking through the soil!
--S.

Where are you located? I'm gambling a little, the usual planting time in
MA is memorial day but this week is going to be very rainy so I figured
it was worth the risk. I've only planted three tomato plants, they are
the most vulnerable to cold so if I lose them it's not a big deal, but it
they survive I'll have a head start. I'll put a few more in next weekend
and a few the weekend after that.

Suzanne D.[_2_] 04-05-2009 08:31 AM

Three sisters garden, day 1

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 May 2009 18:47:26 -0600, Suzanne D. wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
I've planted the first sister (corn), the others will follow when the
corn is 6" high.

My corn, planted about a week ago, is just now peeking through the soil!
--S.

Where are you located? I'm gambling a little, the usual planting time in
MA is memorial day but this week is going to be very rainy so I figured
it was worth the risk.

I am in southern Utah, zone 8-ish. The corn is the last thing I planted
(besides the other two sisters, who will come when the corn is about 5
inches tall). I probably could have planted it earlier, but I figured it
would grow slowly if it was planted to early, and would be about the same
height in a few weeks anyway. I planted it in my front yard! We can't seem
to grow grass there (the sun parches it), so I figured I'd just do corn with
drip irrigation! No point in wasting a perfectly good enormous front yard
on useless grass that will cost an arm and a leg to keep watered.
--S.

General Schvantzkoph 04-05-2009 01:01 PM

Three sisters garden, day 1

On Mon, 04 May 2009 01:31:01 -0600, Suzanne D. wrote:

[...]

Our climates are at opposite extremes, I have not enough sun and to much
water. I've had a massive wilt problem and the places where I can't grow
grass it's because there is so little sun that all that grows is moss.
I'm hoping that the three sisters method will help me because it raises
the plants up and the mounds are at a four foot distance between each
other which should improve the air flow.

Suzanne D.[_2_] 04-05-2009 08:54 PM

Three sisters garden, day 1

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
Our climates are at opposite extremes, I have not enough sun and to much
water. I've had a massive wilt problem and the places where I can't grow
grass it's because there is so little sun that all that grows is moss.
I'm hoping that the three sisters method will help me because it raises
the plants up and the mounds are at a four foot distance between each
other which should improve the air flow.

We'll have to keep each other updated on our progress, to see which climate
ends up with better results!
--S.

General Schvantzkoph 04-05-2009 09:27 PM

Three sisters garden, day 1

On Mon, 04 May 2009 13:54:22 -0600, Suzanne D. wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
Our climates are at opposite extremes, I have not enough sun and to
much water. I've had a massive wilt problem and the places where I
can't grow grass it's because there is so little sun that all that
grows is moss. I'm hoping that the three sisters method will help me
because it raises the plants up and the mounds are at a four foot
distance between each other which should improve the air flow.

We'll have to keep each other updated on our progress, to see which
climate ends up with better results!
--S.

Have you looked into Hopi dry farming techniques? Three sisters is a
Northeastern American Indian practice. I live in Massachusetts so I
figured that it must be well adapted to local conditions, what's good
enough for the Wampanoags should be good enough for me. You live in the
desert Southwest, the native farmers in Southwest are the Hopi, their
reservation is fairly close to the Arizona-Utah border so their methods
might be better fit for you.

I intend to document my progress as I go along this summer. I'll post new
pictures to the picassa site every few weeks. If you were to do the same
we could see how well things are working in each of our very different
climates.

Suzanne D.[_2_] 04-05-2009 11:23 PM

Three sisters garden, day 1

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message

Have you looked into Hopi dry farming techniques?

I only herd about it recently, and have not done much research on it, but
it's something to look into in the future.

\ I intend to document my progress as I go along this summer. I'll post new
pictures to the picassa site every few weeks. If you were to do the same
we could see how well things are working in each of our very different
climates.

I don't know if I can keep up a picture diary, but I can certainly give
written progress reports.
--S.