Old 23-05-2009, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Heirloom Apples

In article
. easynews.com,
Steve wrote:

On Sat, 23 May 2009 12:58:18 -0500, sherwin dubren
wrote:

I can recommend a book to you and anyone else interested in a balanced
view of the use of pesticides in today's world. It is written by
Joe schwarcz, Phd, who is the director of the McGill University's
office for Science and Society. He has written many books on health
and this one is called 'An Apple a Day'. I found the entire book to
be of great interest, but you should look specifically at the
chapter on pesticides.

As you posted to "anyone else interested in a balanced
view of the use of pesticides in today's world" I think it's OK to
jump in here. I will read his book if you will agree to read the
following:

Who funds Scwarcz?

A consortium of biotechnology companies, under the umbrella of
the Council for Biotechnology Information.

From the CBI website:

http://www.whybiotech.com/index.asp?id=about
Welcome to whybiotech.com®.

The Council for Biotechnology Information communicates science-based
information about the benefits and safety of agricultural and food
biotechnology. Its members are the leading biotechnology companies and
trade associations.

Member Companies and Associations
http://www.whybiotech.com/index.asp?id=982

Monsanto
BASF
Bayer
Biotechnology Industry Organization
CropLife America
Dow
DuPont
Syngenta

That certainly seems to be a bit of conflict of interest, doesn't it?

Not to worry Steve. I am sure those folks understand the complexities
of the world we live in and really really want to provide us with a
secure food machine just as long as they (*******s) control it.

Bill who wonders why wisdom is not appreciated but knowledge is?

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

Old 23-05-2009, 09:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
. easynews.com,

wrote:

I can recommend a book to you and anyone else interested in a balanced
view of the use of pesticides in today's world. It is written by
Joe schwarcz, Phd, who is the director of the McGill University's
office for Science and Society. He has written many books on health
and this one is called 'An Apple a Day'. I found the entire book to
be of great interest, but you should look specifically at the
chapter on pesticides.

As you posted to "anyone else interested in a balanced
view of the use of pesticides in today's world" I think it's OK to
jump in here. I will read his book if you will agree to read the
following:

Who funds Scwarcz?

A consortium of biotechnology companies, under the umbrella of
the Council for Biotechnology Information.

From the CBI website:

http://www.whybiotech.com/index.asp?id=about
Welcome to whybiotech.com®.

The Council for Biotechnology Information communicates science-based
information about the benefits and safety of agricultural and food
biotechnology. Its members are the leading biotechnology companies and
trade associations.

Member Companies and Associations
http://www.whybiotech.com/index.asp?id=982

Monsanto
BASF
Bayer
Biotechnology Industry Organization
CropLife America
Dow
DuPont
Syngenta

That certainly seems to be a bit of conflict of interest, doesn't it?

Good research Steve ;O)

This is such a small stone to throw but

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...25731522/?tag=
content;col1

Schwarcz chairs ACCN board.(Canadian Chemical News appointed Joe
Schwarcz)
Canadian Chemical News ,* January, 2006

The Chemical Institute of Canada and ACCN are proud to announce the
appointment of Joe Schwarcz, MCIC, as the new chair of the ACCN
(Canadian Chemical News) Editorial Board.
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2TzBE0lp4

Old 23-05-2009, 09:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
. easynews.com,

wrote:

I can recommend a book to you and anyone else interested in a balanced
view of the use of pesticides in today's world. It is written by
Joe schwarcz, Phd, who is the director of the McGill University's
office for Science and Society. He has written many books on health
and this one is called 'An Apple a Day'. I found the entire book to
be of great interest, but you should look specifically at the
chapter on pesticides.

As you posted to "anyone else interested in a balanced
view of the use of pesticides in today's world" I think it's OK to
jump in here. I will read his book if you will agree to read the
following:

Who funds Scwarcz?

A consortium of biotechnology companies, under the umbrella of
the Council for Biotechnology Information.

From the CBI website:

[...]

Sort of like the comparison of clever and smart.

Mankind had to be very clever to build a bomb that could kill the
human race, but that wasn't very smart of them, was it?

Old 23-05-2009, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
. easynews.com,
Steve wrote:

On Sat, 23 May 2009 13:49:23 -0700, Billy
wrote:

Good research Steve ;O)

Thanks, but it's always a matter of finding the money trail, as you
already know.

Which raises the question, what did you use for your search criteria?

Old 24-05-2009, 06:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article
. easynews.com,

wrote:

I can recommend a book to you and anyone else interested in a balanced
view of the use of pesticides in today's world. It is written by
Joe schwarcz, Phd, who is the director of the McGill University's
office for Science and Society. He has written many books on health
and this one is called 'An Apple a Day'. I found the entire book to
be of great interest, but you should look specifically at the
chapter on pesticides.

I don't mind you jumping in. I don't think that any of the Order of
Organics will even look at his book. He has been dammed by
association. Well, I bought his book yesterday after reading a
library copy. I have seen too much of the organic fanaticism,
so his book was a breath of fresh air. You people walk around
with blinders, refusing to consider other sides of this issue.

You blast Monsanto for destroying the planet, yet how many people
do you think would go hungry or starve, if not for the chemicals
they have developed. When organics can demonstrate that they can
feed the world without chemicals, I would among the first to sign on.
When I can find an organic spray that will protect my fruit, I will
also be among the first to switch over. Ain't no such things.

I could even have more interest in organics if there weren't so much
hyperbole and exageration coming from your side. I don't believe
half of what is claimed to be contamination by chemicals of our
food supply. By contamination, I mean something that will really
make you sick. Avoiding these food sources does more damage to
the public who are scared silly by these way exagerated claims.

Note: Billygoat need not answer. He does not have the intelligence
to carry on a civil discussion.

Sherwin

Old 24-05-2009, 07:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
. easynews.com,
Steve wrote:

On Sat, 23 May 2009 14:55:54 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article
.easynews.com,

wrote:

Good research Steve ;O)

Thanks, but it's always a matter of finding the money trail, as you
already know.

Which raises the question, what did you use for your search criteria?

Joseph A. Schwarcz subsidy
Joseph A. Schwarcz funding
Joseph A. Schwarcz advisory
McGill University Office for Science and Society
All of which were pretty much a dead end until
http://www.enviroblog.org/2008/08/
Scroll down and read: "Schwarcz declared EWG’s guide meaningless,
irrelevant, and said the amounts of pesticide on produce are too small
to worry about: "Where is the information that the level of pesticide
contamination that they're talking about has any relevance to humans?”

But when it comes to questions of pesticide safety, Schwarcz has a
clear conflict of interest.

The Office for Science and Society has been funded in part by the
Council for Biotechnology Information. The Council is an agricultural
industry front group whose members are Monsanto, DuPont, Dow
AgroSciences, Bayer CropScience, Syngenta and BASF – all companies
with a vested interest in discrediting information about the health
risks of pesticides. Archived web pages for the Office of Science and
Society list the industry group as a supporter from 2003 until October
2007; now the website acknowledges only funding from “private
parties.”
That led to http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://oss.mcgill.ca/
Opening the July 12, 2007
http://web.archive.org/web/200707121...oss.mcgill.ca/
and scrolling to the bottom produces:
OSS receives support from McGill University, The Lorne Trottier Family
Foundation, The Council for Biotechnology Information and private
donors.

© 2006 Department of Chemistry McGill University

That's your basic bingo, eh?

Good show. The good Dr. also shows up in a minor role at
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar.../26/The-Little
-Known-Secrets-about-Bleached-Flour.aspx

another scary read. Be sure to go in with Firefox and Noscripts on.

Apparently in his book, "That¹s The Way The Cookie Crumbles", Dr.
Schwarcz writes that aspartame is perfectly safe to consume - a verdict
contradicted by scores of independent studies, one that only the insane
could endorse.

Old 24-05-2009, 07:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
sherwin dubren wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article
. easynews.com,

wrote:

[...]

A civil discussion with you shit head? Of course I can. It's a easy as
trying to believe Dr. Joe about how benevolent Monsanto's products are,
when they are paying him to be a shill. Can't you read? You are no
longer dealing with facts, you are into some faith based belief.
Jim Jones comes to mind. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown
Whatchew doin' Doo? You some kind of Monsanto zombi? Wake up.
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2TzBE0lp4

Heirloom Apples Billy[_7_] Edible Gardening 3 15-05-2009 06:02 PM
Heirloom Bulbs of the Year Bob Batson Gardening 0 12-08-2003 08:44 PM
What is an heirloom? Billyism Texas 18 16-05-2003 06:20 PM
Heirloom tomatos are here and there Tomatolord North Carolina 1 25-04-2003 04:08 PM
Seeking info regarding heirloom tomato Revad 'D' Matt Ward Gardening 0 17-03-2003 07:44 PM