GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ticks in my garden? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/183416-ticks-my-garden.html)

Sam 08-05-2009 06:14 PM

Ticks in my garden?

The other day I noticed tiny spider like creatures crawling ALL over
my stone edging in my garden. They were red. After looking up ticks
today (for a different reason), I'm thinking maybe they are baby
ticks. They are the size of the head of a needle. Very TINY.

Could they be anything else?

Ernie Willson 08-05-2009 06:44 PM

Ticks in my garden?

Sam wrote:
The other day I noticed tiny spider like creatures crawling ALL over
my stone edging in my garden. They were red. After looking up ticks
today (for a different reason), I'm thinking maybe they are baby
ticks. They are the size of the head of a needle. Very TINY.

Could they be anything else?

I rather doubt that they were ticks...Most likely..Spider mites.
HTH,
EJ in NJ

cat daddy 08-05-2009 07:49 PM

Ticks in my garden?

"Sam" wrote in message
The other day I noticed tiny spider like creatures crawling ALL over
my stone edging in my garden. They were red. After looking up ticks
today (for a different reason), I'm thinking maybe they are baby
ticks. They are the size of the head of a needle. Very TINY.

Could they be anything else?

Boxelder bugs? The babies are tiny....

http://www.insectidentification.org/...lder-bug_2.jpg

Sam 08-05-2009 10:30 PM

Ticks in my garden?

Thanks! They definitely could be spider mites!

Sam 08-05-2009 10:42 PM

Ticks in my garden?

On May 8, 3:30*pm, Sam wrote:
Thanks! *They definitely could be spider mites!

Also it said that they like moisture. It's been raining here for 2
weeks straight! I'm having issues w/ slugs too. And the beer cups
ain't working! Oh well. Hopefully it will dry up soon!

Billy[_7_] 09-05-2009 01:45 AM

Ticks in my garden?

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article 1bf6adcc-9f9f-4a03-90aa-59dcf2be6050
@o27g2000vbd.googlegroups.com, says...
On May 8, 3:30*pm, Sam wrote:
Thanks! *They definitely could be spider mites!

Also it said that they like moisture. It's been raining here for 2
weeks straight! I'm having issues w/ slugs too. And the beer cups
ain't working! Oh well. Hopefully it will dry up soon!

How about something like thid:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...41&cat=2,51555

You can do night patrols, set up traps, buy 'em beer, corner the market
on copper but if you just want to get rid of them and not have your
plants shredded, you want iron phosphate (ferric phosphate actually but
that seems to scare people off). It is sold as SLUGGO, Home Despot has
an in house version and I'm sure that other large hardware chains have
it too. It is a bait. It poisons the slug. I'm not proud to use it but I
am able to protect my plants from marauding gangs of gastropods. It is
safe for everything (pets, birds, kids, can be used the day before
harvest), except slug and snails.

http://www.tulsaschools.org/employee...MSDS_F/FF140.p
df
Ferric Phosphate is used as a nutrient and/or dietary supplement food
additive. Also used as a trace mineral added to animal feeds.
--

- Billy

Pat 10-05-2009 07:55 AM

Ticks in my garden?

"Sam" wrote

| The other day I noticed tiny spider like creatures crawling ALL over
| my stone edging in my garden. They were red. After looking up ticks
| today (for a different reason), I'm thinking maybe they are baby
| ticks. They are the size of the head of a needle. Very TINY.
|
| Could they be anything else?

Chiggers is what they are. You don't want to be bitten by these, but it's
hard to stop from happening. Photo and info he
http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resour...ers(008).shtml