Old 08-05-2009, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sam Sam is offline

Default Ticks in my garden?

The other day I noticed tiny spider like creatures crawling ALL over
my stone edging in my garden. They were red. After looking up ticks
today (for a different reason), I'm thinking maybe they are baby
ticks. They are the size of the head of a needle. Very TINY.

Could they be anything else?
Old 08-05-2009, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Sam wrote:
The other day I noticed tiny spider like creatures crawling ALL over
my stone edging in my garden. They were red. After looking up ticks
today (for a different reason), I'm thinking maybe they are baby
ticks. They are the size of the head of a needle. Very TINY.

Could they be anything else?

I rather doubt that they were ticks...Most likely..Spider mites.
HTH,
EJ in NJ
Old 08-05-2009, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Sam" wrote in message
The other day I noticed tiny spider like creatures crawling ALL over
my stone edging in my garden. They were red. After looking up ticks
today (for a different reason), I'm thinking maybe they are baby
ticks. They are the size of the head of a needle. Very TINY.

Could they be anything else?

Boxelder bugs? The babies are tiny....

http://www.insectidentification.org/...lder-bug_2.jpg

Old 08-05-2009, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sam Sam is offline

Thanks! They definitely could be spider mites!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sam Sam is offline

On May 8, 3:30*pm, Sam wrote:
Thanks! *They definitely could be spider mites!

Also it said that they like moisture. It's been raining here for 2
weeks straight! I'm having issues w/ slugs too. And the beer cups
ain't working! Oh well. Hopefully it will dry up soon!

Old 09-05-2009, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article 1bf6adcc-9f9f-4a03-90aa-59dcf2be6050
@o27g2000vbd.googlegroups.com, says...
On May 8, 3:30*pm, Sam wrote:
Thanks! *They definitely could be spider mites!

Also it said that they like moisture. It's been raining here for 2
weeks straight! I'm having issues w/ slugs too. And the beer cups
ain't working! Oh well. Hopefully it will dry up soon!

How about something like thid:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...41&cat=2,51555

You can do night patrols, set up traps, buy 'em beer, corner the market
on copper but if you just want to get rid of them and not have your
plants shredded, you want iron phosphate (ferric phosphate actually but
that seems to scare people off). It is sold as SLUGGO, Home Despot has
an in house version and I'm sure that other large hardware chains have
it too. It is a bait. It poisons the slug. I'm not proud to use it but I
am able to protect my plants from marauding gangs of gastropods. It is
safe for everything (pets, birds, kids, can be used the day before
harvest), except slug and snails.

http://www.tulsaschools.org/employee...MSDS_F/FF140.p
df
Ferric Phosphate is used as a nutrient and/or dietary supplement food
additive. Also used as a trace mineral added to animal feeds.
--

- Billy

Old 10-05-2009, 06:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Pat is offline

"Sam" wrote

| The other day I noticed tiny spider like creatures crawling ALL over
| my stone edging in my garden. They were red. After looking up ticks
| today (for a different reason), I'm thinking maybe they are baby
| ticks. They are the size of the head of a needle. Very TINY.
|
| Could they be anything else?

Chiggers is what they are. You don't want to be bitten by these, but it's
hard to stop from happening. Photo and info he
http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resour...ers(008).shtml

Ticks! Ticks! Ticks!!! Ig.Gardener Gardening 19 14-05-2011 04:23 AM
Worm Bin & Ticks / Neem John T. Jarrett Gardening 8 28-05-2004 05:02 AM
TICKS AND MOSQUITOES Hound [email protected] Gardening 2 27-05-2004 03:02 AM
ticks and fleas ratSenoL Texas 1 17-06-2003 07:43 PM
Ticks, Ticks and more Ticks Lar Gardening 25 07-05-2003 08:44 PM