Old 18-05-2009, 08:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Wal mart cutting back on seeds.

Mike wrote:

Yea you're definitely right on that.
I paid a visit to walmart yesterday to buy some "4th of July Hybrid" tomato
seeds and noticed the 2009 seed packet has changed from my empty 2007 pack.

What's new is that half of the labeling on the flip side is printed in
mexican, plus down below the origin of the seed lot says China!

It's easy to see how walmart has destroyed another facet of America's
cultural identity.

The Wal Mart in my area is selling Burpee Seeds, a recognized company
with which I have never had problems. I guess not every one of their
stores has the same stock.

Sherwin
Old 18-05-2009, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

sherwin dubren wrote:

The Wal Mart in my area is selling Burpee Seeds, a recognized company
with which I have never had problems.

Look back up this thread for Burpee's owner, and decide if you want to
support them. It's your call, after all.

Old 18-05-2009, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 18 May 2009 09:07:35 -0400, Gary Woods
wrote:

sherwin dubren wrote:

The Wal Mart in my area is selling Burpee Seeds, a recognized company
with which I have never had problems.

Look back up this thread for Burpee's owner, and decide if you want to
support them. It's your call, after all.

I seem to have missed the message about Burpee's ownership. Who is
it?
--
Susan N.

Old 18-05-2009, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article ,
says...
sherwin dubren wrote:

The Wal Mart in my area is selling Burpee Seeds, a recognized company
with which I have never had problems.

Look back up this thread for Burpee's owner, and decide if you want to
support them. It's your call, after all.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

As best I can make out, Burpee is not owned by Monsanto but they do sell
Seminis' (which is) seeds.

http://www.seedalliance.org/index.ph...eminisMonsanto

OTOH, dated June 1 2006

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ews/2003029627
_heronswood31m.html

If anyone wants to boycott Burpee for any reason, this would be a good
one.

W. Atlee Burpee & Company --- sold to Geo J. Ball Inc. 1989 --
-- merged with Seminis in October 1995 -- purchased by Mon$anto in
January of 2005.

http://www.saveseeds.org/biography/ball_geo_jr.html

W. Atlee Burpee & Company was acquired1, for an undisclosed amount in
1991. In 1993, George became the president of the Burpee Holding Company
(the parent company of W. Atlee Burpee & Company2).*This was spun off of
Ball Holding Company, in 2000.

Mr. Ball remained a director of Geo J. Ball, Inc. until its merger with
Seminis in October 1995. He also served a two year term as Chairman of
the Board of Petoseed (now also part of Seminis).* He has been a
director of Seminis, Inc. since October 1995 and was reelected to this
position for another term at the annual meeting in 2001.* (Seminis was
purchased by Monsanto in January of 2005)

On October 9, 2001, Burpee Holding Company filed for bankruptcy
protection.* In the press release, it was assured that this would not
affect the operations of the W. Atlee Burpee Company.
------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holding_company
A holding company is a company that owns other companies' outstanding
stock. It usually refers to a company which does not produce goods or
services itself, rather its only purpose is owning shares of other
companies. Holding companies allow the reduction of risk for the owners
and can allow the ownership and control of a number of different
companies. In the U.S., 80% or more of voting stock must be owned before
tax consolidation benefits such as tax-free dividends can be claimed.
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2TzBE0lp4

Old 18-05-2009, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , susan_r23666
@yahoo.com says...

wrote:

sherwin dubren wrote:

The Wal Mart in my area is selling Burpee Seeds, a recognized company
with which I have never had problems.

Look back up this thread for Burpee's owner, and decide if you want to
support them. It's your call, after all.

I seem to have missed the message about Burpee's ownership. Who is
it?

Billy nailed it.

Monsanto.

I guess my criterion was dragging this morning.

Old 19-05-2009, 07:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

phorbin wrote:

Monsanto.

I guess my criterion was dragging this morning.

Opps, I bought 4 packs of Burpee at WalMart today.

Should I go to church and ask forgiveness.

Why don't you boycott something practical like Citgo
gas owned by that American hater Chavez?

Sherwin
Old 19-05-2009, 08:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
sherwin dubren wrote:

phorbin wrote:

Monsanto.

I guess my criterion was dragging this morning.

Opps, I bought 4 packs of Burpee at WalMart today.

Should I go to church and ask forgiveness.

Why don't you boycott something practical like Citgo
gas owned by that American hater Chavez?

Sherwin

More doo, Doo?

Even after the U.S. backed an assassination attempt against him,
Chavez had the Venezuela oil company provide oil for the American poor.

http://www.reuters.com/article/oilRp...25588920071214
Venezuela brings free heating oil to poor in NY
Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:54pm EST
By Rebekah Kebede
NEW YORK, Dec 14 (Reuters) - Venezuela's president, Hugo Chavez may be a
pariah in Washington, but on Friday the U.S. arm of the country's state
oil company loaded up a truck of heating oil for poor Americans in New
York City.
The shipment to New York's South Bronx section follows a similar
giveaway in Boston earlier this week, in the third year of U.S. heating
oil assistance by Venezuela's Citgo Petroleum. The program has grown
even as tensions have mounted between Caracas and U.S. oil companies and
their allies in Washington.

So far, I have almost the same deep respect for Chavez as I do for Fidel.

Old 20-05-2009, 07:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

phorbin wrote:
In article ,

Why don't you boycott something practical like Citgo
gas owned by that American hater Chavez?

Ah well, I figure boycotting anything Walmart or Monsanto is about as
practical as one can get. Getting two at once doubles the good karma.

As for Chavez I dunno about you but we're already boycotting oil and
fossil fuels as much as we can. ...no car. ...use bike for everywhere in
easy reach. ... use bus, inter-city bus or train for most other travel.
...rent car or pickup occasionally for practical purposes. And we don't
have car payments, insurance, maintenance and fuel expenses. ---Just
thinking about it gives me a glow of satisfaction.

If you don't want to be held hostage, you have to prove that you don't
need what the other guy is selling.

If you can't prove it, he won't believe you and try to sucker you.

So all you have to do is prove you can run your country without oil.

Working it out should take about a week.

Where did you say you lived, New York City? How does renting a car
help the pollution problem?

Sherwin

Old 20-05-2009, 08:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
sherwin dubren wrote:

phorbin wrote:
In article ,

[...]

Could you try to keep things in context, Doo? If you are going to
respond, it is only fair to include the post that you are responding to.
Not everyone knows what an idiot you are yet, so try to act like you
have a clue. To some unsuspecting reader, you will represent our row,
until they read a few more subsequent posts.

Tais toi et sois beau.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Registered User

This is very frustrating to spend time and trouble, plant seeds to find out the hard way and they are not feasible. I have said so to speak, perhaps because of bad seeds, the beginning of time. I would say I have good luck with other development projects, from there. However, no more seeds forever.
cannabis seeds