Old 12-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Registered User

Default Easy Vegetable/fruit gardening for children

Hi All,

I am novice gardener and only have planted shrubs, climbers etc but would like to grow some fruit or vegetables with my 3 year old daughter. Can anyone suggest easy ones to start with and can I plant a small plant to start with rather than seeds as I was very unscuceesful last year with my sunflower seeds and none grew. I planted first from seed in a tray indoors then transferred to the ground but they did not last at all they seemed too fragile.

Many thanks
Old 13-05-2009, 05:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Richard Elsmore wrote:
Hi All,

I am novice gardener and only have planted shrubs, climbers etc but
would like to grow some fruit or vegetables with my 3 year old
daughter. Can anyone suggest easy ones to start with and can I plant a
small plant to start with rather than seeds as I was very unscuceesful
last year with my sunflower seeds and none grew. I planted first from
seed in a tray indoors then transferred to the ground but they did not
last at all they seemed too fragile.

Many thanks

I think you would have better luck starting sunflower seeds in the
ground. Just be sure your soil is warm. Sunflowers I planted in
the ground here in the Chicago area two weeks ago are already
about one inch high. Be sure to keep them moist, especially at
their early stages of growth. You will get the best results with
fresh seeds for this year. My radishes and lettuce also came up.
Tomatoes seem to be easy for me to grow from seed under lights.
Giving them a moderate amount of heat seems to help them get to
germinate. I find that too much or too little heat doesn't work.
I just set up my cold frame for tomatoes, as the night time
temperatures here are still in the forties, so I am moving mine
from the house to the frame to acclimate them.

Fruits like apples and pears take a few years, but are quicker to
fruit on dwarf rootstocks. You might try some berries like
raspberries or strawberries, but they can take about a year to give
fruit. Be sure to put them in a sunny spot for best production.

Sherwin
Old 13-05-2009, 06:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Richard Elsmore wrote:
Hi All,

I am novice gardener and only have planted shrubs, climbers etc but
would like to grow some fruit or vegetables with my 3 year old
daughter. Can anyone suggest easy ones to start with and can I plant a
small plant to start with rather than seeds as I was very unscuceesful
last year with my sunflower seeds and none grew. I planted first from
seed in a tray indoors then transferred to the ground but they did not
last at all they seemed too fragile.

Many thanks

People always suggest radishes but few kids like to eat them and if they get
too big (easily done) nobody else does either. Also a bunch of leaves (and
hidden root) isn't so interesting. A fruit tree, or a plant that produces
a recognisable common "fruit" will probably take too long to maintain
interest.

If you have a sunny spot try beans (green or string beans not broad beans).
The seed is big and you can clearly see it shoot and they almost grow as you
watch them, then within a few weeks you have a whole plant with all the
interesting bits (stem, leaf, flower and fruit) right there, you can tell
her simple stories about them and what they do. I know you wanted to start
with a plant but starting with seeds makes a much better story, you can even
let some pods mature and produce seeds. This is true magic! Trust me these
are easy to grow.

You only need a few and they are typically pretty hardy plants. You could
put them in a pot if there is no suitable spot in the ground. If you have
the climbing sort a trellis for a small number is easily made from odds and
ends, or get the bush sort. You never know she might grow up eating her
greens without complaint!

David

Old 13-05-2009, 10:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Richard Elsmore" wrote in
message
I am novice gardener and only have planted shrubs, climbers etc but
would like to grow some fruit or vegetables with my 3 year old
daughter.

It would be good to have a sort of progressive garden, where something
interesting is happening all the time. Choose things that sprout quickly
(beans, peas), things that can be sampled almost as soon as they come up
(lettuce, spinach), things that grow more when you pick them (herbs), and
things that will produce continuously for a long time after they mature
(beans, tomatoes, cucumbers). That should hold her interest for months.
--S.

Old 21-05-2009, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 12 May 2009 21:47:53 +0100, Richard Elsmore
wrote:

:
:Hi All,
:
:I am novice gardener and only have planted shrubs, climbers etc but
:would like to grow some fruit or vegetables with my 3 year old
:daughter. Can anyone suggest easy ones to start with and can I plant a
:small plant to start with rather than seeds as I was very unscuceesful
:last year with my sunflower seeds and none grew. I planted first from
:seed in a tray indoors then transferred to the ground but they did not
:last at all they seemed too fragile.
:
:Many thanks

Tomatoes are pretty easy and immensely satisfying. Buy a plant or maybe
better a set of 6 cells and plant 18" apart in fertile soil. Tomatoes
are deep rooted, so the deeper you work in some compost the better. They
aren't terribly fussy and I've had very good luck with them. The
tomatoes are green as they grow and then start turning pink and then red
and are ready to eat. It should delite a 3 year old.

You can try pumpkins, too. Any squash, really. The plants looks similar
as well as the beautiful big yellow blossoms, but the fruits differ
widely among squash. Beautiful very fast growing plants, and watching
the fruits grow is wonderful. With squash, if you have snails and slugs
you will want to control them. Try Sluggo, which is non-toxic but does a
good job. Squash do well from seeds. In my experience, it takes around
10-14 days for the seedlings to appear. Good luck.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

Old 21-05-2009, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
len len is offline

sorry for coming in at the wrong level here, i can't find the original
post.

but to the original poster have a look at our hay bale garden
technique if you can source spent mushroom compost from the farm the
kids can simply and easily well fairly easily with some help from mum
&/or dad have a garden they can plant into right away, kids like to
see quick rewards.

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

On Wed, 20 May 2009 18:06:21 -0700, Dan Musicant )
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev