GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Heirloom Apples (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/183555-re-heirloom-apples.html)

Billy[_7_] 13-05-2009 08:22 AM

Heirloom Apples

sherwin doo wrote:

I don't spray if there are windy conditions or people.

Do you spray when the ground is around? Insecticides and soil, don't you
just know?

Why don't you look up Rotenone. A spray classified as organic since
it is extracted from plants. There are findings now that it attacks
the human nervous system causing all kinds of problems like
Parkinson's disease.

Excellent, you do know how to read. "Rotenone is classified by the World
Health Organization as moderately hazardous.[10] It is mildly toxic to
humans and other mammals, but extremely toxic to insects and aquatic
life including fish. This higher toxicity in fish and insects is due to
the fact that the lipophilic rotenone is easily taken up through the
gills or trachea, but not as easily through the skin or through the
gastrointestinal tract."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotenone

Don't be confused by the label "organic pesticide" however; the use of
Rotenone is prohibited under the California Organic Foods Act of 1990,
and should continue to be prohibited under federal organic definitions
-- unless chemical manufacturers are ultimately successful in their
massive, well-financed attempts to convince the USDA to water down
"organic" definitions.

The pests around me just laugh at Surround. It washes off with the
first rains, and clogs up your sprayers.

Well, of course it's clay. You want something that really kills, don't
you? Did you ever think to grow something else?

If you look at the PDF file in this reference, they talk about
quarantine of apple maggot areas and disposing of any fruit harboring
the apple maggot. Not a solution for me.

What is your solution Doo?

Anybody who knows anything about spraying knows you don't spray until
after petal fall of the blossoms. Without pollen, the insects should
not be around.

What do YOU want to spray Doo?

You don't dump your chemicals into the sanitation system or a river.

But your biocides end up on the ground Doo.

In my case, I feel that proper usage of these chemicals will have a
negligible effect on the environment. Automobiles, planes, power
plants, etc. far out shadow anything I do in my backyard.

So you recognize your impact and rationalize it away. You're a class act
Doo.

Nevertheless, I wash off all the fruit I pick with soap. Those
who are super concerned have the option of peeling their fruit,
since most of the chemicals do not penetrate the skin of the
fruit.

So, now you are offering advice on how to avoid the poisons that you put
on our food. How reassuring.

I bet you never heard of some of these varieties, so you
probably don't know what you are missing.

There are lots of things that I am missing Doo, and one of
the least of them is eating poisons.

By the way, don't you think you can cut out this juvenile 'doo' naming?

No, because I'm too classy to call you shit.

You know how to be organic, but you are just too lazy or dumb to try.
We only have one planet, ya know?
--

- Billy

sherwin dubren 15-05-2009 10:02 AM

Heirloom Apples

Billy Goat,

I'm tired of conversing with idiots. Should have known
it was a waste of time.

Sherwin

Billy[_7_] 15-05-2009 06:12 PM

Heirloom Apples

In article ,
sherwin dubren wrote:

Billy Goat,

I'm tired of conversing with idiots. Should have known
it was a waste of time.

Sherwin

Talking to yourself again, Doo? Why did you redact our dialog? Was it to
reduce the baggage of logic in arguing that spraying pollution (from
Mon$anto and Dow) on crops makes them cleaner? You would rather eat
pollution, than have a cosmetic blemish on you Photoshop ready harvest?
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2TzBE0lp4