Old 16-05-2009, 04:50 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default peeking over the fence...

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
And I know very well what 4 1/2 acres is, my back yard is 5 acres of lawn,
takes a good part of two days to mow, I'd hate to think how much work it
would be to tend to it in crops, would take like six families of illegals.
Yesterday for the first time this season it dried out enough that I was
able to mow my 4 acre back field for the first time, used to be a hay
field and it was already in seed, that takes a full day's labor every week
just to mow and keep the forest from growing back.

Why do you keep such a large area in grass and not allow trees to grow back?
A forest will support a lot more life than grass.

Old 16-05-2009, 04:09 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Hedda Lettis" wrote:
"brooklyn1" wrote:

And I know very well what 4 1/2 acres is, my back yard is 5 acres of
lawn,
takes a good part of two days to mow, I'd hate to think how much work it
would be to tend to it in crops, would take like six families of
illegals.
Yesterday for the first time this season it dried out enough that I was
able to mow my 4 acre back field for the first time, used to be a hay
field and it was already in seed, that takes a full day's labor every
week
just to mow and keep the forest from growing back.

Why do you keep such a large area in grass and not allow trees to grow
back?
A forest will support a lot more life than grass.

Nothing is further from the truth. Forests alone don't support much life,
many critters can make homes and find protection in forests but they'd
starve to death. Most life lives on the edges of forests, of which my
property contains many miles... I maintain many paths, trails, and
hedgerows. Grazing critters (deer/geese, etc.) need the grasses to
feed... even the raptors need large expanses of open space to feed, as do
the land preditors, as do water fowl who can't land or become airborne in a
forest nor would they find food on a forest floor.. there really isn't much
food at all on the forest floor, perhaps a rain forest floor but not here...
most food in any forest is in the canopy, requiring specialized animals
which can take advantage; woodpeckers and squirrels but deer can't climb
trees, there isn't much light on a forst floor so nothing much edible grows.
Many song birds feed on insects as they swoop in immense flocks close to the
ground, without vast open space they'd starve or move on... perhaps you've
never greeted spring while watching 10,000 robins on the march hunting
worms. Without large open spaces there'd be very few pollenators, life on
land would cease to exist, not just as we know it, life on land would just
cease. Ultimately there needs to be a balance of various biomes; forest,
meadow, pasture, and wetlands... I maintain exactly that balance as
perfectly as I can, which is why there are so many critters of all types
that make their home here. People who make there home in a small cleared
space in a forest because they're too lazy to mow see very few critters.
Methinks you need to educate yourself on how life forms exist... you've
probably believed all those Disney movies featuring animals living deep in
the darkest forests that can talk.