Old 13-05-2009, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

Default onions and leeks question

On 13/05/09 13:15, Therefore wrote:
I have lost the labels from both onion and leek seedlings
which are about 6" high.

Is there any way that I differentiate between them at this stage

TIA .............................. Leslie

Why do you need to differentiate them?

Just plant each tray/pot load in a separate row.

As they grow, the onions will develop tubular hollow leafs whilst the
leeks will develop flat leaves.

Ed

Old 13-05-2009, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Ed wrote:
On 13/05/09 13:15, Therefore wrote:
I have lost the labels from both onion and leek seedlings
which are about 6" high.

Is there any way that I differentiate between them at this stage

TIA .............................. Leslie

Why do you need to differentiate them?

Just plant each tray/pot load in a separate row.

As they grow, the onions will develop tubular hollow leafs whilst the
leeks will develop flat leaves.

Ed

Except that they are planted differently. Leeks should ideally be
dropped into a hole so the base is a few inches below the soil level to
give a good white stem. Onions are planted level with the soil.

--
David in Normandy.
Old 13-05-2009, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
David in Normandy wrote:

Ed wrote:
On 13/05/09 13:15, Therefore wrote:
I have lost the labels from both onion and leek seedlings
which are about 6" high.

Is there any way that I differentiate between them at this stage

TIA .............................. Leslie

Why do you need to differentiate them?

Just plant each tray/pot load in a separate row.

As they grow, the onions will develop tubular hollow leafs whilst the
leeks will develop flat leaves.

Ed

Except that they are planted differently. Leeks should ideally be
dropped into a hole so the base is a few inches below the soil level to
give a good white stem. Onions are planted level with the soil.

How about just planting them as onion. Then hill the leeks similar to
white asparagus. Sounds like extra work though why not reseed the leeks
? How many plants are we talking about 50 or 50000.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

Old 14-05-2009, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 13/05/09 13:15, Therefore wrote:
I have lost the labels from both onion and leek seedlings
which are about 6" high.

Is there any way that I differentiate between them at this stage

TIA .............................. Leslie

Why do you need to differentiate them?

Just plant each tray/pot load in a separate row.

As they grow, the onions will develop tubular hollow leafs whilst the
leeks will develop flat leaves.

Ed

Leeks aren't to be planted until they are about the diameter of a No.2
school pencil, and then they are placed in a trench which is slowly
filled in to give the blanched portion of the leek.
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2TzBE0lp4

Old 14-05-2009, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Charlie wrote:
On Wed, 13 May 2009 16:07:54 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 13/05/09 13:15, Therefore wrote:
I have lost the labels from both onion and leek seedlings
which are about 6" high.

Is there any way that I differentiate between them at this stage

TIA .............................. Leslie

Why do you need to differentiate them?

Just plant each tray/pot load in a separate row.

As they grow, the onions will develop tubular hollow leafs whilst the
leeks will develop flat leaves.

Ed

Leeks aren't to be planted until they are about the diameter of a No.2
school pencil, and then they are placed in a trench which is slowly
filled in to give the blanched portion of the leek.

They can also be planted deep using a dibble and then compost, mulch,
etc (you know the routine) added....to accomplish the same end.

Charlie

That is how I do it, seems a lot less bother than a trench. I dib a deep
hole and drop the leek into it, sometimes only the tip of the leek is
still above ground level. I do not back fill the hole though and just
leave it. It has always worked well for me. Some earth usually tumbles
back in the hole over the coming weeks anyway or the leek grows to fill
out the hole. I grow a couple of hundred leeks this way every year - we
like leek soup :-)

--
David in Normandy.

Old 14-05-2009, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

On 14/05/09 00:07, Billy wrote:
In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 13/05/09 13:15, Therefore wrote:
I have lost the labels from both onion and leek seedlings
which are about 6" high.

Is there any way that I differentiate between them at this stage

TIA .............................. Leslie

Why do you need to differentiate them?

Just plant each tray/pot load in a separate row.

As they grow, the onions will develop tubular hollow leafs whilst the
leeks will develop flat leaves.

Ed

snip

Leeks aren't to be planted until they are about the diameter of a No.2
school pencil,

snip

Why is that? What would be the problem if they were planted when they
had a much smaller diameter, say, like a cocktail stick?

Ed

Old 14-05-2009, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 14/05/09 00:07, Billy wrote:
In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 13/05/09 13:15, Therefore wrote:
I have lost the labels from both onion and leek seedlings
which are about 6" high.

Is there any way that I differentiate between them at this stage

TIA .............................. Leslie

Why do you need to differentiate them?

Just plant each tray/pot load in a separate row.

As they grow, the onions will develop tubular hollow leafs whilst the
leeks will develop flat leaves.

Ed

snip

Leeks aren't to be planted until they are about the diameter of a No.2
school pencil,

snip

Why is that? What would be the problem if they were planted when they
had a much smaller diameter, say, like a cocktail stick?

Ed

Don't think it's a diameter problem really, except diameter has a
relationship with length. (Usually the greater the diameter of the leek,
the greater it's length. This is the way I've seen it presented in
books. Basing it on length would avoid the confusion that we are
discussing now.) You want 5 - 6 inches of the plant in the ground to
produce the blanched (white) base of the leek.

Old 14-05-2009, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

On 14/05/09 17:34, Billy wrote:
In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 14/05/09 00:07, Billy wrote:
In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

[...]

Thank you for a very clear answer. I will in future base my decisions
on the leeks having about 6 inches of growth before transplanting out.

Ed

Old 15-05-2009, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

David in Normandy said:

Charlie wrote:

They can also be planted deep using a dibble and then compost, mulch,
etc (you know the routine) added....to accomplish the same end.

That is how I do it, seems a lot less bother than a trench. I dib a deep
hole and drop the leek into it, sometimes only the tip of the leek is
still above ground level. I do not back fill the hole though and just
leave it. It has always worked well for me. Some earth usually tumbles
back in the hole over the coming weeks anyway or the leek grows to fill
out the hole. I grow a couple of hundred leeks this way every year - we
like leek soup :-)

That's essentially how I plant leeks. I prepare the soil with compost
alfalfa and then mulch with a few layers of newsprint and a thick layer of
straw. I then dibble a hole and drop my transplant into it. The tip of the
transplant will usually be below the top of the straw. No backfilling,
just pour a bit of water (mixed with kelp) into the hole.

Other than pulling the occasional wheat or elm seedling (I wish that tree
would just DIE!) there is not much more to do than wait until fall.

I love leeks baked with a little butter...nicely carmelized...yummmm

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 15-05-2009, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 14 May 2009 13:03:27 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

Charlie wrote:
On Wed, 13 May 2009 16:07:54 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

[...]

Leeks are marvelous. We like potato/leek soup. I also read about
steaming the tops last year and they are also good. One account said
they tasted like asparagus, but I don't think they do.

http://www.ajc.com/eveningedge/conte...leekleaves.htm

googling leek+leaves shows several uses for, including a stuffed
leak leaf recipe that sounds good.

Charlie

Yousek Roadsinger AKA Cat Stevens has some new music about

Oh leek stuff below.

Bill

From: (International Recipes OnLine)
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes
Subject: Fire Roasted Corn Chowder with Chipotle
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 00:58:48 +0000 (UTC)
Originator:
(Patricia Hill)

Fire Roasted Corn Chowder with Chipotle

submitted by butterflydog

8 fresh ears of corn in their husks
1 red bell pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 oz pork or bacon diced
2 leeks, white and pale green parts only, finely diced
1 sweet onion finely diced
6 cloves of garlic finely diced
5 cups chicken stock
1 cup of half and half cream
1 1/2 cups cilantro leaves fine chopped
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground chipolte pepper OR
smoked paprika OR cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice

I made this soup without pork or bacon just using more olive oil and it
came out great. I also used smoked paprika since I try to find recipes
that use it ! Remove most of corn husks from corn except for a layer or
two, Roast corn on a hot grill turning 1/4 turn every 3 minutes or so
till kernels are caramelized ( browned ). Do the same with the bell
pepper. Remove corn from grill and let cool. Then with sharp knife
scrape
kernels into a bowl. In a stockpot over medium heat, add oil and saute
pork or bacon, garlic, onion and leek until beginning to brown, about 8
minutes. Skin bell pepper and dice. In a blender or food processor,
puree
half the corn with half the stock. To the stockpot add the pureed
mixture, remaining stock, cream, remaining corn, cilantro, diced bell
pepper, salt, black pepper and chipole pepper. Simmer over medium heat
for
15 minutes. Add lime juice to finish soup and serve.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings.
Source: Bob Blumer, The Surreal Gourmet

http://www.simpleinternet.com/recipes/
International Recipes OnLine
On-Line Culinary Discussion at Food.Chat:
http://www.simpleinternet.com/foodchat/

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/ http://recipes.alastra.com/

Old 16-05-2009, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Charlie wrote:

It saddens me that he was denied entrance to the U$ on account of his
name and faith

Yusuf was on the Tonight Show the other night. Very nice performance. I
found this:

http://theaudioperv.com/2009/05/14/y...eno-513-video/

enjoy
Old 16-05-2009, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On May 14, 4:59*am, Charlie wrote:
On Wed, 13 May 2009 16:07:54 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 13/05/09 13:15, Therefore wrote:
I have lost the labels from both onion and leek seedlings
which are about 6" high.

Is there any way that I differentiate between them at this stage

TIA .............................. Leslie

* Why do you need to differentiate them?

Just plant each tray/pot load in a separate row.

As they grow, the onions will develop tubular hollow leafs whilst the
leeks will develop flat leaves.

Ed

Leeks aren't to be planted until they are about the diameter of a No.2
school pencil, and then they are placed in a trench which is slowly
filled in to give the blanched portion of the leek.

They can also be planted deep using a dibble and then compost, mulch,
etc (you know the routine) added....to accomplish the same end.

Charlie

We just use a dibble and drop in the leek, we don't fill it in;
watering always releases a little soil.

Judith
Old 16-05-2009, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Judith in France wrote:

Leeks aren't to be planted until they are about the diameter of a No.2
school pencil, and then they are placed in a trench which is slowly
filled in to give the blanched portion of the leek.

They can also be planted deep using a dibble and then compost, mulch,
etc (you know the routine) added....to accomplish the same end.

Charlie

We just use a dibble and drop in the leek, we don't fill it in;
watering always releases a little soil.

Judith

Interesting as leek culture got me thinking they do not exist in the
wild. Stuff casting out seeds and a few manage to produce replicates.
So a pointed hole and a young plant and the chances increase.

Thank you Judith

Bill below permanent leek beds New to me!!

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/allium/msg0112100512397.html

Old 16-05-2009, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Bill" wrote in message
In article
,
Judith in France wrote:

[...]

I'm afraid you're mistaken, Bill. Ramps are wild leaks. They are strongly
flavored, but leaks nonetheless.
Steve

Old 16-05-2009, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
In article

[...]