Old 15-05-2009, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Seeds

A neighbor has just informed me that he has been having a problem getting
seeds from a local nursery. Seems the government has something to do with
it. Anyone heard anything?

Steve

Old 15-05-2009, 03:21 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

SteveB wrote:
A neighbor has just informed me that he has been having a problem
getting seeds from a local nursery. Seems the government has
something to do with it. Anyone heard anything?

Steve

What nursery? What Government?

David
Old 15-05-2009, 01:25 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

SteveB wrote:
A neighbor has just informed me that he has been having a problem getting
seeds from a local nursery. Seems the government has something to do with
it. Anyone heard anything?

Steve

Yes, Obama administration is going after companies like Burpee that only
give you a dozen seeds for $2.98. Obscene profits and misuse of TARP
funds are driving seed companies to bankruptcy.
Old 15-05-2009, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
SteveB wrote:
A neighbor has just informed me that he has been having a problem
getting seeds from a local nursery. Seems the government has
something to do with it. Anyone heard anything?

Steve

Yes, Obama administration is going after companies like Burpee etc...

This would be wonderful. I just bought 70 mg of Burpee Chamomile seed
for 1.79. This equates to US$ 11,600.00 per pound.

Can you cite a responsible reference where I can read about the
government action?

EJ in NJ
Old 15-05-2009, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

If you need german chamomile seeds, I got tons...literally...it has become a
weed on our property...and it gets tall...over 5ft...I would pay people to
take the seeds I harvested last year if I had the money to pay them...

"Ernie Willson" wrote in message
m...

Old 15-05-2009, 06:12 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Ernie Willson wrote:

Frank wrote:
SteveB wrote:
A neighbor has just informed me that he has been having a problem
getting seeds from a local nursery. Seems the government has
something to do with it. Anyone heard anything?

Steve

Yes, Obama administration is going after companies like Burpee etc...

This would be wonderful. I just bought 70 mg of Burpee Chamomile seed
for 1.79. This equates to US$ 11,600.00 per pound.

Can you cite a responsible reference where I can read about the
government action?

EJ in NJ

Just being facetious, of course.

I got a much better deal on my Burpee cucumber seeds, 700 mg. for $1.99
Old 15-05-2009, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
Ernie Willson wrote:

Frank wrote:
SteveB wrote:
A neighbor has just informed me that he has been having a problem
getting seeds from a local nursery. Seems the government has
something to do with it. Anyone heard anything?

Steve

Yes, Obama administration is going after companies like Burpee etc...

This would be wonderful. I just bought 70 mg of Burpee Chamomile seed
for 1.79. This equates to US$ 11,600.00 per pound.

Can you cite a responsible reference where I can read about the
government action?

EJ in NJ

Just being facetious, of course.

I got a much better deal on my Burpee cucumber seeds, 700 mg. for $1.99

That is a much better deal, only $1290.00 per pound.

EJ in NJ
Old 15-05-2009, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Frank wrote:

SteveB wrote:
A neighbor has just informed me that he has been having a problem getting
seeds from a local nursery. Seems the government has something to do with
it. Anyone heard anything?

Steve

Yes, Obama administration is going after companies like Burpee that only
give you a dozen seeds for $2.98. Obscene profits and misuse of TARP
funds are driving seed companies to bankruptcy.

Not sure what you are saying Frank? Could we get a citation?
----
W. Atlee Burpee & Company --- sold to Geo J. Ball Inc. 1989 --
-- merged with Seminis in October 1995 -- purchased by Mon$anto in
January of 2005.

Any other questions about why you're being ripped off by Burpee?

There still are people of conscience out there.
http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/monsanto.htm
----

Company 2006 seed sales US $ millions
1. Monsanto (US) $4,028
2. Dupont (US) $2,781
3. Syngenta (Switzerland) $1,743
4. Groupe Limagrain (France) $1,035
5. Land O¹ Lakes (US) $756
6. KWS AG (Germany) $615
7. Bayer Crop Science (Germany) $430
8. Delta & Pine Land (US) $418
(acquisition by Monsanto
pending)

9. Sakata (Japan) $401
10. DLF-Trifolium (Denmark) $352
Source: ETC Group

In 1996 * one
decade ago * the top 10 seed companies accounted for 37% of the
worldwide market * and Monsanto did not even appear on the list.

In 2006, the top 10 companies account for $12,559 million * or 64% of the
total proprietary seed market.

Monsanto * the world¹s largest seed company * accounts for more than one
fifth of the global proprietary seed market.

www.etcgroup.org/upload/publication/pdf

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._seeds09m.html

Finally, I came upon Elizabeth Stromme, to my regret, far too late. Her
observations about gardening, a decade and a half later, shows not much
has changed. A very good read.

The Color of Money
http://www.undergroundgardener.com/money.htm
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2TzBE0lp4

Old 17-05-2009, 09:07 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On May 15, 4:25*am, Frank wrote:
SteveB wrote:
A neighbor has just informed me that he has been having a problem getting
seeds from a local nursery. *Seems the government has something to do with
it. *Anyone heard anything?

Steve

Yes, Obama administration is going after companies like Burpee that only
give you a dozen seeds for $2.98. *Obscene profits and misuse of TARP
funds are driving seed companies to bankruptcy.

Thrilled to hear it (if true - couldn't find a citation). Monsanto is
my favorite
object of international hatred. Among the other unconscionable things
they do:
SELL water to indigenous people (S. America, I think I read in Mother
Jones'
article on the subject.) People who used to dig their own wells, are
now
stuck with BUYING
Old 20-05-2009, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Amateur wrote:
On May 15, 4:25 am, Frank wrote:
SteveB wrote:
A neighbor has just informed me that he has been having a problem getting
seeds from a local nursery. Seems the government has something to do with
it. Anyone heard anything?
Steve

Yes, Obama administration is going after companies like Burpee that only
give you a dozen seeds for $2.98. Obscene profits and misuse of TARP
funds are driving seed companies to bankruptcy.

Thrilled to hear it (if true - couldn't find a citation). Monsanto is
my favorite
object of international hatred. Among the other unconscionable things
they do:
SELL water to indigenous people (S. America, I think I read in Mother
Jones'
article on the subject.) People who used to dig their own wells, are
now
stuck with BUYING

You missed my "just being facetious" response