Old 15-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Lemon Tree

Hi, have just joined and wonder if anybody can help with our probably dying or dead lemon tree.
The tree is about 4 foot high, in a container and we have had it for 5 years. It has aways lived outside, on a sheltered south facing patio, covered in fleece for winter without problems. This year the tree has lost all its leaves and has definite die back on the branches, they are brown. The main trunk and a couple of branches are still green, but there is no sign of life so far, not one new shoot.
Have we lost it, do I prune the dead branches, fertilse, in fact is there any hope at all, would hate to see it die.
Thank you for any help
Old 16-05-2009, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Lemon Tree

Where are you?
Has the tree been watered? If so, how much and how often?

news

--
Dennie

Old 16-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Registered User

We live in Norfolk, UK. The tree is watered when it is almost dry or when it rains, fertilised with citrus fertiliser, summer/ winter. It was repotted last spring in ordinary compost and did very well with loads of flowers and good size fruit forming by the end of summer, so don't think it was unhappy with the change. It did get very cold through the winter and I wonder if the fleece was not enough to protect it from the frost, it is too big to bring in or put into the greenhouse. If the frost has had it, it is likely to recover at this stage?