Old 18-05-2009, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default How to use ChemPak formulations?

First year at growing vegetables. Don't know anything about previous
history of the soil... it's clay/chalk.

Took it over last November and dug, dug, dug clearing as much weed as
possible and left it rough till Spring this year . Raked it lots to
remove stones and produce tilth. Now I have 5 beds to rotate in the
order: Potatoes, then Onions/Leeks, then Legumes, then Brassicas, then
Roots, then Potatoes again to restart cycle. Most crops are now in.

But not knowing soil history , how to feed plants?

I am thinking of applying ChemPak No 2 (high nitrogen) to everything
until July and then switch to ChemPak No 8 (low nitrogen , high
potassium/phosphorus) for rest of season except for Brassicas.

Legumes would get ChemPak No 8 throughout growing season as they dont
need a lot of nitrogen.

Does this make sense?

Yours...
Hairy Legs

(South East , UK)

Old 18-05-2009, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Hairy Legs ex@directory wrote:

But not knowing soil history , how to feed plants?

Get/do a soil test, so you're not blindly adding expensive stuff you may
not need.

Old 18-05-2009, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On 18/05/09 15:17, Gary Woods wrote:
Hairy Legs ex@directory wrote:

But not knowing soil history , how to feed plants?

Get/do a soil test, so you're not blindly adding expensive stuff you may
not need.

What/how to do soil test?

Old 18-05-2009, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Hairy Legs wrote:
[...]

Watching "Country Matters" last night the farmer there seems only to use
nitrogen. Now to cut unnecessary fertiliser he is using aerial mapping
then a GPS controlled fertiliser applicator, should we club together and
buy one? ;-)

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 18-05-2009, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On 18/05/09 15:19, Broadback wrote:
Hairy Legs wrote:
[...]

Wow!!

I only got 150 sq metres. I just use watering can!!

Yours...
Hairy Legs

Old 18-05-2009, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Hairy Legs" ex@directory wrote in message
o.uk...
On 18/05/09 15:17, Gary Woods wrote:
Hairy Legs ex@directory wrote:

But not knowing soil history , how to feed plants?

Get/do a soil test, so you're not blindly adding expensive stuff you may
not need.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

What/how to do soil test?

A well-stocked garden center should have soil test kits available. Some kits
are only for testing pH, while others contain the necessary stuff for
checking soil nutrients. If you don't have a retail outlet nearby which
sells these kits, here's a google search with some U.K. sources:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...i=&safe=images

http://preview.tinyurl.com/pyz96d

Old 18-05-2009, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 18 May, 15:36, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Hairy Legs" ex@directory wrote in message

o.uk...

On 18/05/09 15:17, Gary Woods wrote:
Hairy Legs ex@directory wrote:

But not knowing soil history , how to feed plants?

Get/do a soil test, so you're not blindly adding expensive stuff you may
not need.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

What/how to do soil test?

A well-stocked garden center should have soil test kits available. Some kits
are only for testing pH, while others contain the necessary stuff for
checking soil nutrients. If you don't have a retail outlet nearby which
sells these kits, here's a google search with some U.K. sources:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...=org.mozilla%3...

http://preview.tinyurl.com/pyz96d

You can get PH meters, but if you do, check it out with something like
vinager, I have had 2 and both were wired in reverse.and showed
vinegar as being very high PH, and not acid
I phoned the firm about the first one so they sent me a replacement,
and said keep the other.
A bit of work with the saldering iron corrected the problem.
Also have a look at http://www.kaysdiscountgarden.co.uk/33.html
Cost less than Chempack and are very similar in composition and usage.
Have you thought of foliar feed instead?
http://www.travena.co.uk/pdf/BioMagic-FoliarFeed.pdf
David Hill
Old 19-05-2009, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

On 18/05/09 20:37, Dave Hill wrote:
[...]

Are not the Chempak formulations soluble in water and can be applied as
a foliar feed?

How to use ChemPak formulations? Hairy Legs United Kingdom 0 18-05-2009 03:23 PM
Chempak Formula 2 dosage Peter Ashby United Kingdom 4 15-05-2009 12:03 AM
Anyone use manure? What is the best mix and ratio to use? Allen Smith Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:21 AM
which tarp to use? David Modine Lawns 0 30-03-2003 01:56 PM
Cement to use/not to use around pond? IanQ Ponds 2 06-03-2003 09:52 AM