Old 19-05-2009, 12:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Frost

Last Thursday was the only day in the last month that the soil was dry
enough to work. I busted my hump putting in squash, cucumbers, peanuts,
okra, beans and my precious heirloom tomatoes. Now the local effing
weatherman is calling for lows in the mid to low 30's and frost in the
morning. I've been scrambling all afternoon, trying to cover all the tender
plants. I guess I'm not looking for any advise, maybe just a little
commiseration.
Steve

Old 19-05-2009, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Peanuts? Where are you located? I can commiserate about the stupid late
frosts, we get them here all the time. Lost the first batch of corn and
squash this year already, and a friend lost 40 tomato plants. Only thing
I've learned to count on weather-wise is that you won't get the last late
frost until you start putting stuff in the ground. Damn Murphy...

Victoria, zone 5a

Old 19-05-2009, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Peek wrote:
Last Thursday was the only day in the last month that the soil was dry
enough to work. I busted my hump putting in squash, cucumbers, peanuts,
okra, beans and my precious heirloom tomatoes. Now the local effing
weatherman is calling for lows in the mid to low 30's and frost in the
morning. I've been scrambling all afternoon, trying to cover all the tender
plants. I guess I'm not looking for any advise, maybe just a little
commiseration.
Steve

I don't set anything tender out until after Memorial day, and I always
hold a few spare plants back until early June. Last year I had
everything looking good, the tomatoes and peppers had actually started
growing again after being set out... and a mighty hailstorm wiped
everything out.

If the plants are small, a piece of white plastic sewer pipe cut into
10" to 12" sections works great for protecting young transplants from
frost, wind, and harsh sun until they get established a bit.

Brown paper bags with the bottoms cut out and those flimsy wire tomato
cages work great for larger plants.

Good luck.

/Bob
Old 19-05-2009, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Well peanuts only need 120 days and usually we are safe after May 15, so I
thought I'd try them again. I'm in western NC used to be zone 6, but now
it's closer to zone 7. A friend gave me enough 3 gallon nursery pots to
cover the tender things so I guess they'll survive.
Que sera sera

Old 19-05-2009, 01:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 18 May 2009 19:33:21 -0400, "Steve Peek"
wrote:

Last Thursday was the only day in the last month that the soil was dry
enough to work. I busted my hump putting in squash, cucumbers, peanuts,
okra, beans and my precious heirloom tomatoes. Now the local effing
weatherman is calling for lows in the mid to low 30's and frost in the
morning. I've been scrambling all afternoon, trying to cover all the tender
plants. I guess I'm not looking for any advise, maybe just a little
commiseration.
Steve

I read the message that said you were in western NC. I am about 20
miles south of the VA line just off of I77. The Surry County
Community College weather page said the low was 36.9°F overnight.

I just started my squash and melons in the greenhouse last week. My
tomatoes have been out since April 26. I will direct seed the beans,
corn and okra when I don't sink up to my ankles when I walk into the
garden.
--
Susan N.

Old 19-05-2009, 01:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Peek wrote:
Last Thursday was the only day in the last month that the soil was dry
enough to work. I busted my hump putting in squash, cucumbers, peanuts,
okra, beans and my precious heirloom tomatoes. Now the local effing
weatherman is calling for lows in the mid to low 30's and frost in the
morning. I've been scrambling all afternoon, trying to cover all the tender
plants. I guess I'm not looking for any advise, maybe just a little
commiseration.
Steve

Hiya Steve, I'll commiserate with you! lol, the forecast has had us
scrambling a little bit out here in the sandhills of NC too. Since it
seems you can never trust the weathermen around here, we covered just in
case. It is a little easier for us to cover things though, as we just
use the plastic sheeting and old curtains from the turkey houses. And
here at 8am, the temp is still just 48....and to think we were about to
melt a couple of weeks ago...lol!

~Rae
Old 19-05-2009, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Peek" wrote in message
Last Thursday was the only day in the last month that the soil was dry
enough to work. I busted my hump putting in squash, cucumbers, peanuts,
okra, beans and my precious heirloom tomatoes. Now the local effing
weatherman is calling for lows in the mid to low 30's and frost in the
morning. I've been scrambling all afternoon, trying to cover all the
tender plants. I guess I'm not looking for any advise, maybe just a little
commiseration.
Steve

Based on the link's defintion of commiseration:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/commiseration
"1. commiseration - a feeling of sympathy and sorrow for the misfortunes of
others"

You have my empathy. Sympathy, you should not look to strangers in my
opinion.

--
Dave

Old 19-05-2009, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Last Thursday was the only day in the last month that the soil was dry
enough to work. I busted my hump putting in squash, cucumbers, peanuts,
okra, beans and my precious heirloom tomatoes. Now the local effing
weatherman is calling for lows in the mid to low 30's and frost in the
morning. I've been scrambling all afternoon, trying to cover all the
tender
plants. I guess I'm not looking for any advise, maybe just a little
commiseration.
Steve

I read the message that said you were in western NC. I am about 20
miles south of the VA line just off of I77. The Surry County
Community College weather page said the low was 36.9°F overnight.

I'm in Buncombe county just north of Asheville. I heard 35 at the airport
this morning & we're almost always a couple colder.
I just started my squash and melons in the greenhouse last week. My
tomatoes have been out since April 26. I will direct seed the beans,
corn and okra when I don't sink up to my ankles when I walk into the
garden.
--
Susan N.

I never plant warm weather crops before mid May, it just doesn't pay, too
many late frosts. I know what you mean about that sinking feeling. I'm
afraid if I stand still for more than a couple of seconds I won't be able to
free myself.

Old 20-05-2009, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Peek" wrote in message
m...

I'm in Buncombe county just north of Asheville. I heard 35 at the airport
this morning & we're almost always a couple colder.

Howdy, neighbor. :-) I live in Erwin, TN, just up the road from you.

Robert

Old 20-05-2009, 04:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Robert Lewis" wrote in message
m...

"Steve Peek" wrote in message
m...

I'm in Buncombe county just north of Asheville. I heard 35 at the airport
this morning & we're almost always a couple colder.

Howdy, neighbor. :-) I live in Erwin, TN, just up the road from you.

Robert

Hey neighbor, you're less than an hour away. I'll bet there was frost on
Sam's Gap this morning.

Old 20-05-2009, 05:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Yeah I wish I could find some that needed even less than that, because I
love peanut butter(and making peanut brittle for a friend who can't resist
the stuff). I could always trying growing them in pots I suppose...and it's
supposed to frost tonight, so I had to cover up my baby beans. I have 7
little ones coming up in the patch I planted...was it only a couple weeks
ago? Anyways, hopefully they'll survive.

news

last frost? Arwen Long North Carolina 1 06-03-2004 04:31 PM
Possible frost/freeze Saturday night/Sunday Morning Wayfarer Texas 8 28-03-2003 10:56 PM
American frost zones tim United Kingdom 21 23-02-2003 12:16 PM
USDA zones (frost zones) Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 5 22-02-2003 06:20 PM
When To Take Action Against Frost Protection? Fleemo Gardening 10 09-02-2003 08:01 AM