Old 21-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Registered User

Default Premature cherry ripening

Hi,

I have a 4 year old Sunburst Cherry that fruits very well, it was in a pot but last November I planted it in the ground.

Its growing very well and has set a lot of fruit.

However, quite a few of the fruits have started to turn red at a small size and the wither.

Im unsure as to the cause.

I think its a natural fruit dropping process probably due to poor pollination of those fruits.

Should I remove these fruits early or let them fall to stop them causing other fruits to ripen to early or is it OK to just let them naturally fall?

Any advice?
Old 22-05-2009, 11:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

gasdoctor wrote:
Hi,

I have a 4 year old Sunburst Cherry that fruits very well, it was in a
pot but last November I planted it in the ground.

Its growing very well and has set a lot of fruit.

However, quite a few of the fruits have started to turn red at a small
size and the wither.

Im unsure as to the cause.

I think its a natural fruit dropping process probably due to poor
pollination of those fruits.

Should I remove these fruits early or let them fall to stop them
causing other fruits to ripen to early or is it OK to just let them
naturally fall?

Any advice?

The Sunburst Cherry is self-fertile. Pollination should not be an
issue, unless you are lacking insects to pollinate. Even self-
pollinating trees need to have the blossoms pollinate each other.
The fact that you have fruit does indicate they were pollinated
somehow.

What about the leaves? How do they look? Could be a disease.
Did you add fertilizer (what kind and how much?)

The cherries will not fall on their own very soon, unless there
is something wrong with the trees. There is usually no need to
thin cherries, but in your case, you may want to do some of
that to reduce the stress on the trees.

Are the cherries ripe and sweet? Are you sure it is a Sunburst,
as some nurseries have been known to miss-label their varieties.
Where did you get them from?

Did the trees give any good cherries while in the pots?

Are you keeping the soil around them well hydrated (not soaked)?

You have to answer some of these questions before I can even hazard
a guess.

Sherwin

Old 25-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwin dubren View Post
gasdoctor wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply.
The affected cheeries are turning black and falling on their own, Im also removing them by a gentle twist.

As you say pollination shouldnt be a problem as its self fertile.
It has been a cold spring so insect activity was low but I did try to help with my cotton wool on a stick.

The leaves look OK, I cant see any major signs of disease and I havent been palgued with blackfly this year.

The tree has been fruiting for 3 years (in its big pot) and provides delicious fruit. Since replanting the blossom and fruit set have been more than previous.

I cant definitely say its a sunburst but it came from a reputable nursery (Keepers in Kent, UK) so Im pretty sure. Its also on a giesela5 rootstock.

The tree is against a southeast facing wall (same pos as in pot), I think ive kept the ground moist, we have had loads of rain, but the wall is very sheltering.

I feed the tree with growmore in spring and then occasional multipurpose fertilizer. I usually give my fruit trees a bit more potassium.

I suspect now that if this isnt a the result of poor pollination, then it may be the tree is stressed from having been replanted and setting so much fruit.

I shall continue to remove the abnormal fruit, but any more advice is very gratefully recieved. Thanks.