GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Whar should I do about my peas? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/184038-whar-should-i-do-about-my-peas.html)

Pat 24-05-2009 05:15 AM

Whar should I do about my peas?

I bought the seed in bulk from a neighborhood hardware store. The results so
far have been outstanding, with 5' to 6' tall stalks bearing many flowers.
The peas themselves started forming a week or so ago and we've eaten some
three times so far. Then today, it rained very hard - about 2" in an hour or
so - and a few hours later, I counted 5 red flowers on the peas.

It appears what has happened is there were some ornamental sweet peas mixed
in with the edible peas from the store. Do they cross-pollinate? Do I dare
to eat _any_ more of my peas, or save any of the seed? Should I destroy the
plants with the red flowers, and feel safe in eating the rest?