Old 05-06-2009, 05:02 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Run, Rabbit, Run

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Suzanne D." wrote:

I've often been criticized for allowing my female cat to have kittens now
and then, by people who are concerned that domestic cats are a danger to
the
local wildlife. I hear stories about how cats sometimes kill rabbits,
and
how terrible this is for the poor little rabbits. I think there are
certain
cases where a couple of hungry outdoor cats could actually help, and this
situation would be one of them.
--S.

I'm sure the animal shelter is full of cats that would love to chase
rabbits.

They ought to set some of them loose in the gardens.
--S.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:04 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"KC" wrote in message
On Jun 4, 5:29 pm, "Suzanne D." wrote:

I've often been criticized for allowing my female cat to have kittens now
and then, by people who are concerned that domestic cats are a danger to
the
local wildlife. I hear stories about how cats sometimes kill rabbits, and
how terrible this is for the poor little rabbits. I think there are
certain
cases where a couple of hungry outdoor cats could actually help, and this
situation would be one of them.
--S.

I agree. But wildlife follows a food chain, and the cat that catches
a rabbit is itself a favorite catch for the coyote. I believe it all
balances out in the end unless man intervenes and tips the scale.
_________________

Yeah. That's why we take care of our pets, but accept that sometimes they
will not have the same lifespan as pets who are inside all their lives.
With freedom comes reality.
--S.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve" wrote in message
.us.easynews.com...
On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 21:04:10 -0600, "Suzanne D."
wrote:

I believe it all
balances out in the end unless man intervenes and tips the scale.

As has been proven by every human/animal intervention. From deer to
trout, if we put our hands on it, "it" fails.
What an astoundingly conceited species we are.

How do you know what I put my hands on? That was supposed to be classified!
:-p

Old 05-06-2009, 10:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

I believe it all
balances out in the end unless man intervenes and tips the scale.

As has been proven by every human/animal intervention. From deer to
trout, if we put our hands on it, "it" fails.
What an astoundingly conceited species we are.

I know someone who actually believes that the mass extermination of bugs
through pesticides is perfectly harmless for the planet and won't do any
damage in the long term, because humans created the pesticides and humans
are a part of nature, and therefore, pesticides are a natural means of
getting rid of bugs.
--S.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve" wrote in message
.us.easynews.com...
On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 02:27:43 -0600, "Suzanne D."
wrote:

I know someone who actually believes that the mass extermination of bugs
through pesticides is perfectly harmless for the planet and won't do any
damage in the long term, because humans created the pesticides and humans
are a part of nature, and therefore, pesticides are a natural means of
getting rid of bugs.

Well, this makes perfect sense.
By that logic gunshot victims die a "natural" death; lead being
natural and all.

BTW, what district does this acquaintance of your's represent in
Congress? ;-)

Heh. I'll give you one guess.
--S.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message
I was gonna use that gunshot analogy as well, but am too slow...time for
more coffee ;-)

It seems the smell of compost in the making attracted a bunny rabbit to my
garden, (most likely it escaped from its cage or was abandoned) so after
observing the critter munching mostly on grass and weeds, I thought no big
deal. That was until this morning when it chewed off one of my potted spare
tomato plants.

So now I'm thinking about cooked rabbit.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:34 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 4, 10:02*pm, "Suzanne D." wrote:

I'm sure the animal shelter is full of cats that would love to chase
rabbits.

They ought to set some of them loose in the gardens.
--S.

I have 2 unclaimed cats that consider my backyard part of their
hunting territory. We have an agreement - they keep the critters out
of my garden and I don't notify the animal control folks. They've
upheld their part of the bargain except for the mole that's giving me
fits - they just don't want to get dirty digging him out.

KC
Old 05-06-2009, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Mike" wrote in message

It seems the smell of compost in the making attracted a bunny rabbit to my
garden, (most likely it escaped from its cage or was abandoned) so after
observing the critter munching mostly on grass and weeds, I thought no big
deal. That was until this morning when it chewed off one of my potted
spare
tomato plants.

Aren't tomato leaves poisonous? Maybe your problem will be solved without
any action on your part.
--S.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:01 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"KC" wrote in message news:8920edf3-eea2-4ebe-926a-
I have 2 unclaimed cats that consider my backyard part of their
hunting territory. We have an agreement - they keep the critters out
of my garden and I don't notify the animal control folks. They've
upheld their part of the bargain except for the mole that's giving me
fits - they just don't want to get dirty digging him out.
_________________

I love a good farm cat for clearing out the critters. My cat is always fat
in the summer, and she brings extras for me. I should find a recipe for
partly masticated rodents.
--S.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

My cat does that occassionally, except he feels that he needs to leave them
either on or by my bed...I remember one time a few years ago he came
in('twas summer and my outside door was open for him to come and go as he
pleases) while I was watching TV, and he was pushing sometime into my
shoulder(I was standing up leaning against my loft bed) and I looked and it
was a freshly killed chipmunk...I think my reaction wasn't what he was
hoping for...

Old 05-06-2009, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message
ers2...
My cat does that occassionally, except he feels that he needs to leave
them
either on or by my bed...I remember one time a few years ago he came
in('twas summer and my outside door was open for him to come and go as he
pleases) while I was watching TV, and he was pushing sometime into my
shoulder(I was standing up leaning against my loft bed) and I looked and
it
was a freshly killed chipmunk...I think my reaction wasn't what he was
hoping for...

That's better than the live mouse my cat turned loose on the bed.
Steve

Old 07-06-2009, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Suzanne D." wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

It seems the smell of compost in the making attracted a bunny rabbit to

my
garden, (most likely it escaped from its cage or was abandoned) so after
observing the critter munching mostly on grass and weeds, I thought no

big
deal. That was until this morning when it chewed off one of my potted
spare
tomato plants.

Aren't tomato leaves poisonous? Maybe your problem will be solved without
any action on your part.
--S.

According to these reliable sources, the leaves of the tomato ARE
poisonous - the offending chemical is an alkaloid called Tomatine.

Still I feel that action will be needed on my part in dealing with this
situation mainly because the
rabbit is now digging a burrow underneath the tool shed, that mean more
rabbits and possibly
more problems down the road.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
says...

According to these reliable sources, the leaves of the tomato ARE
poisonous - the offending chemical is an alkaloid called Tomatine.

Isn't that solanine?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

KC wrote:
On Jun 4, 10:02 pm, "Suzanne D." wrote:

I'm sure the animal shelter is full of cats that would love to chase
rabbits.

They ought to set some of them loose in the gardens.
--S.

I have 2 unclaimed cats that consider my backyard part of their
hunting territory. We have an agreement - they keep the critters out
of my garden and I don't notify the animal control folks. They've
upheld their part of the bargain except for the mole that's giving me
fits - they just don't want to get dirty digging him out.

I see cats catch moles, but I've never seen one eat one, apparently
they aren't very tasty. Mice are next down on the list. The perfect cat
food appears to be chipmunks. Everything else falls in the middle ground
and appears to be acceptable eating.

Jeff

KC