Old 01-06-2009, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Beets and and radishes are darn hard to grow

For some reason, I CANNOT grow radishes or beets to save my life. I always
thought radishes were an idiot's delight, growing fast and big for even the
blackest thumb. But after two months, my radishes still weren't very big.
The beets never filled out either--they sprouted and then just sat there for
months until I finally pulled them up and threw them away so I could grow
something else there. I gave them a lot of water, and the soil is very
loose, so I just don't get it.

I am not asking for advice, since I don't really like radishes or beets
anyway, but I thought it was funny how miserably they grow for me!
--S.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Peek" wrote in message
Just as long as you can grow a sweet juicy tomato, everything else is
forgiven.
Steve

Yep. tomatoes are good here!
--S.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Suzanne D." wrote:

For some reason, I CANNOT grow radishes or beets to save my life. I always
thought radishes were an idiot's delight, growing fast and big for even the
blackest thumb. But after two months, my radishes still weren't very big.
The beets never filled out either--they sprouted and then just sat there for
months until I finally pulled them up and threw them away so I could grow
something else there. I gave them a lot of water, and the soil is very
loose, so I just don't get it.

I am not asking for advice, since I don't really like radishes or beets
anyway, but I thought it was funny how miserably they grow for me!
--S.

Soft soil, plenty of P & K, and no litter in the bed before plants come
up. Charlie was bragging on his French breakfast radishes last year, so
I tried them and they are growing fine. That enough variables for you?
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2TzBE0lp4

Old 02-06-2009, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Suzanne D." wrote in
:

For some reason, I CANNOT grow radishes or beets to save my life. I
always thought radishes were an idiot's delight, growing fast and big
for even the blackest thumb. But after two months, my radishes still
weren't very big. The beets never filled out either--they sprouted and
then just sat there for months until I finally pulled them up and
threw them away so I could grow something else there. I gave them a
lot of water, and the soil is very loose, so I just don't get it.

I am not asking for advice, since I don't really like radishes or
beets anyway, but I thought it was funny how miserably they grow for
me! --S.

I've had good luck with beets. Just tossed them on the ground and
covered them.

Just curious, how much nitrogen is in your soil? Nitrogen is associated
with leafy green plants, but too much nitrogen keeps the plant growing
when it should be making fruit.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Old 02-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne D.[_2_] View Post
For some reason, I CANNOT grow radishes or beets to save my life. I always
thought radishes were an idiot's delight, growing fast and big for even the
blackest thumb. But after two months, my radishes still weren't very big.
The beets never filled out either--they sprouted and then just sat there for
months until I finally pulled them up and threw them away so I could grow
something else there. I gave them a lot of water, and the soil is very
loose, so I just don't get it.

I am not asking for advice, since I don't really like radishes or beets
anyway, but I thought it was funny how miserably they grow for me!
--S.
That is so odd!!!

my radishes grow crazy fast, almost as easy to grow as weeds. will be doing beets next year but never had a problem with them growing as a kid with my dad.

only thing i can thing, when i make my tiny trough to sow the seeds in, i put some compost in there to give the seeds a good boost to get going.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 14:28:17 -0700, Billy
spuked forth:

In article ,
"Suzanne D." wrote:

[...]

And have they reached eatin' size yet?

Oh yeah. I started on them when they were the size of a dime and now
they are up to the size of a quarter.

I just finished the last ones in the fridge, along with a hardboiled
egg and a piece of toasted wholegrain with butter and a glass of iced
coffee......heaven.

Haven't had them for breakfast, mostly dinner salads.

Lettuce know what you think of them. Some of ours were quite large
without being woody, pithy, or hot. They are definitely our favorite
radishes.

No, they still got a crunch to them.

I neglected my succession planting routine and am now going to be
without for three weeks...grrrrr.

Don'cha just hate learnin' curves?

Charlie

“What do I know of man's destiny? I could tell you more about
radishes.” --- Samuel Beckett

Is he still waiting for Godot to bring the radishes?

Old 02-06-2009, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

radishe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvwzUcxZOMA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d26AhcKeEbE

Amazing.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

No foreign intervention unless tyranny at home.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

That's kind of funny as I have the same problem w/ cucumbers, which should
be SO easy to grow. Every time I try they just konk out on me w/ very
little production. Yeah, I should probably check my soil, but everything
else grows like gangbusters.

Robert

Old 03-06-2009, 09:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
Just curious, how much nitrogen is in your soil? Nitrogen is associated
with leafy green plants, but too much nitrogen keeps the plant growing
when it should be making fruit.

I'm not sure. The soil on the top layer is a commercial mix, but it doesn't
have fertilizers or anything in it. Previously, that bed was planted in
corn, and then I piled some dead leaves on it in the fall.

For what it's worth, I've tried growing radishes inside, in little plastic
flats, and they don't grow there either.
--S.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Suzanne D." wrote in message
For some reason, I CANNOT grow radishes or beets to save my life. I
always thought radishes were an idiot's delight, growing fast and big for
even the blackest thumb. But after two months, my radishes still weren't
very big. The beets never filled out either--they sprouted and then just
sat there for months until I finally pulled them up and threw them away so
I could grow something else there. I gave them a lot of water, and the
soil is very loose, so I just don't get it.

I am not asking for advice, since I don't really like radishes or beets
anyway, but I thought it was funny how miserably they grow for me!
--S.

I can't help asking why you grow them if you don't like them and/or don't
eat them. I don't grow or eat radishes but do grow beets. They're one of
the easiest plants to grow in sunny fertile soil. This year most of my
garden is "behind" due to the constant rain and lack of sunny warm days.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Charlie" wrote in message

The spring planted spinach is now going nuts.....spinach salad and
pizza for lunch.

I just blanched mine this afternoon and it's now in the freezer along with
chard.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"D. Arlington" wrote in message

I can't help asking why you grow them if you don't like them and/or don't
eat them.

Because the other people in my family like them.
--S.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 1, 3:22*pm, "Suzanne D." wrote:
For some reason, I CANNOT grow radishes or beets to save my life. *I always
thought radishes were an idiot's delight, growing fast and big for even the
blackest thumb. *But after two months, my radishes still weren't very big.
The beets never filled out either--they sprouted and then just sat there for
months until I finally pulled them up and threw them away so I could grow
something else there. *I gave them a lot of water, and the soil is very
loose, so I just don't get it.

I am not asking for advice, since I don't really like radishes or beets
anyway, but I thought it was funny how miserably they grow for me!
--S.

Beets want calcium. For a quick fix, save your eggshells and grind
them in a blender with water and pour that in a small area and plant
your beets. It might put enough calcium in the soil quickly enough to
help.