Old 02-06-2009, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default No-show tomatoes

I have been lurking here for quite a while and have learned a lot, but
now I need some help.
I have three German Girl tomato plants that have lots of blooms but
never set tomatoes. I have another tomato plant that did not have a tag
when I bought it, but I have gotten several tomatoes from it already.
These are smallish (slightly larger than a lime) but very flavorful and
sweet.I planted this one about a month before the German Girls.My first
guess is that it has already gotten too hot to set fruit. I live on the
Alabama coast about 10 miles as the crow flies from the Gulf of Mexico.
Any ideas?
TIA
Old 03-06-2009, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Spcovelady wrote:

I have been lurking here for quite a while and have learned a lot, but
now I need some help.
I have three German Girl tomato plants that have lots of blooms but
never set tomatoes. I have another tomato plant that did not have a tag
when I bought it, but I have gotten several tomatoes from it already.
These are smallish (slightly larger than a lime) but very flavorful and
sweet.I planted this one about a month before the German Girls.My first
guess is that it has already gotten too hot to set fruit. I live on the
Alabama coast about 10 miles as the crow flies from the Gulf of Mexico.
Any ideas?
TIA

I also live in Alabama, a couple of hundred miles north of you,
I can't give you a definitive answer but I don't think heat is the
problem. I have raised tomatoes for many years and successfully set fruit
all through the summer. I have had large amounts of rain and I suspect you
have also, I think your plants are probably in fertile ground with lots of
moisture and they have up to now devoted their energy to foliage and may
start setting fruit any time, time will tell.

Are the german girl tomatoes potato leaf or regular leaf tomatoes?

basilisk
Old 03-06-2009, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

basilisk wrote:
Spcovelady wrote:

[...]

I looked at the tag on my plants again and they are "German Queen"
Heirloom not German girl. The leaves on these plants do look a bit
different than the ones on my other tomato plant. The plants are more
leggy and the leaves seem to be more spread out on the limbs. I have
them in 5 gallon buckets like my other plant.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Spcovelady" wrote in message
basilisk wrote:
Spcovelady wrote:

[...]

It's possible they are not getting pollinated, bees don't like to work
in cloudy, rainy weather. Hopefully, you will start to see some fruit
set soon.

basilisk

Old 03-06-2009, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

basilisk wrote:
Spcovelady wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I hope you are correct.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

basilisk wrote:
Spcovelady wrote:

[...]

Tomatoes are self fertile and don't need insects for pollination, a gentle
breeze should suffice.
Steve

Old 03-06-2009, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Peek" wrote in message
m...

basilisk wrote:
Spcovelady wrote:

[...]

Your right, they are self fertile, but it is possible in some varieties
and some conditions for pollination to not occur.

basilisk

Old 03-06-2009, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 14:03:07 -0500, Spcovelady
wrote:

I have been lurking here for quite a while and have learned a lot, but
now I need some help.
I have three German Girl tomato plants that have lots of blooms but
never set tomatoes. I have another tomato plant that did not have a tag
when I bought it, but I have gotten several tomatoes from it already.
These are smallish (slightly larger than a lime) but very flavorful and
sweet.I planted this one about a month before the German Girls.My first
guess is that it has already gotten too hot to set fruit. I live on the
Alabama coast about 10 miles as the crow flies from the Gulf of Mexico.
Any ideas?
TIA

Tomatoes will not set fruit if the night temperature is lower than
55°F or the daytime temperature is over 95°F. I have also found that
heirlooms tend produce fruit later than hybrids.

Don't worry about it. Plants produce fruit when they are mature
enough.
--
Susan N.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Seriously? Crap it's been in the 40s at night here and the tomatoes are
blooming like mad...luckily they are still in pots...guess I'll just have to
bring them inside at night

Old 04-06-2009, 06:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Peek" wrote in message
Tomatoes are self fertile and don't need insects for pollination, a gentle
breeze should suffice.

I have heard that if you gently tap the stems, the pollen will fall inside
the flower and pollinate it.
--S.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 3, 9:25�pm, "Suzanne D." wrote:
"Steve Peek" wrote in message
Tomatoes are self fertile and don't need insects for pollination, a gentle
breeze should suffice.

I have heard that if you gently tap the stems, the pollen will fall inside
the flower and pollinate it.
--S.

I hve heard that, too. And it has worked for me before.

I have two suggestions. 1.) Five gallon buckets may be too small for
tomatoes. The best size is a whiskey or wine barrel half. 2.) Do a
Google for "tomato plant pruning" and read a few of the entries. I
just did it to mine today and I will report the results as they
occur. Perhaps someone else here has tried this method and will
expound.

Good luck.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
-
[...]

Mist spray they with water. *Does the trick with mine.
Bigal

--
Bigal- Hide quoted text -

When I get frustrated with tomatoes not setting, I gently shake the
plants. Usually works.

But, as others have said, heirlooms sometimes set late, and
unfortunately, sometimes set lightly.

Susan B.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thanks for all the answers. We had a couple of cloudy, rainy days that
kept the temps down a little and that must have done the trick. This
morning there were several tiny tomatoes on each plant! I'm so happy g
Thanks again-
Clivia