Old 13-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Registered User

Default Tomato Ripening Timeline

Hello, I have several varieties of tomatos groing in growbags in a small poly greenhouse (Totem, Tumbler, Sungold, Moneymaker, Gardners Delight). All have lots of fruit and flowes and continue to grow healthily. Lots of the fruit seem fully formed but have not turned red yet. If I planted in early May, at what point should I expect the fruit to start to turn red? I am in the South East of England.
Old 14-06-2009, 06:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"richmarshall" wrote in message

Hello, I have several varieties of tomatos groing in growbags in a
small poly greenhouse (Totem, Tumbler, Sungold, Moneymaker, Gardners
Delight). All have lots of fruit and flowes and continue to grow
healthily. Lots of the fruit seem fully formed but have not turned red
yet. If I planted in early May, at what point should I expect the
fruit to start to turn red? I am in the South East of England.

Sounds like it is a waiting game. but review your sunlight, nutrients,
temps,
especially the night temps and pollination.

-length of daylight 14-16 hrs, you should have that by now, but have you a
lot of cloud cover over the last few, are they crowded/ too shaded?

-you should be w/ a bloom nute formulation by now, if not change now.

-~Day 21° -26° C (70° -79° F) and night temperatures 16° -18.5° C (61° -65°
F). If Hydro, what is your nute temp? You can cheat a bit by warming the
res up.

-Have you a fan blowing air around or bees in the house to pollinate, if not
you might try to hand pollinate to get good fruit set.

-Do a good pruing job.

There is a guy on ivillage website that had a Excel spreadsheet on the
maturity dates for alot of Tom. varieties, you can email him for it.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...3442399.html?4

here is a very good link for mineral deficiencies,along w/ pics of Toms from
that page:
http://4e.plantphys.net/article.php?ch=t&id=289