Old 17-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Registered User

Default Stunted pepper plants

Hi all, I'm not really sure what's going on with my pepper plants.

I have a couple of Redskin Peppers, one planted in a pot the other in a glasshouse border. Both plants are roughly 6" - 7" and appear to have stopped growing up. They seem very bushy for all the size of them. Flowers are just about to appear on both.

I also have a Cayenne and a Apache pepper and while they haven't gone as bushy they do seem to have slowed down vertical growth.

Is this normal for these types of peppers? I've a feeling that that the three in the glasshouse border may be getting overwatered while other plants are getting watered, would this effect the peppers like this? Appreciate any help or guidance available.
Old 17-06-2009, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Kyle.Wylie wrote:

Hi all, I'm not really sure what's going on with my pepper plants.

I have a couple of Redskin Peppers, one planted in a pot the other in a
glasshouse border. Both plants are roughly 6" - 7" and appear to have
stopped growing up. They seem very bushy for all the size of them.
Flowers are just about to appear on both.

I also have a Cayenne and a Apache pepper and while they haven't gone
as bushy they do seem to have slowed down vertical growth.

Is this normal for these types of peppers? I've a feeling that that the
three in the glasshouse border may be getting overwatered while other
plants are getting watered, would this effect the peppers like this?
Appreciate any help or guidance available.

Three are 3 in the soil next to what Americans would call a "greenhouse"?
Which way does the wall face? How was the soil prepared? Here, 18 lbs of
aged chicken manure/ 100 sq. ft. (8.18 kg/9.29 sq. m.). What is the
soil, clay, loam, sandy?

It could just be a matter of a "watched pot". Since they don't sound
like they are in distress, put a tape to them and measure them. Then
tell us how old they are, what kind and how much fertilizer, what have
temperatures there been like since the peppers were planted, how much
sun do they get, what is there soil moisture like, how big are the pots,
and what do you mean by "may have been over watered?" Since you describe
them as bushy, apparently they are expanding spherically and not
linearly, which would be more dramatic.
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Zunx_goz4

http://www.democracynow.org/2009/6/2...ra_hass_on_the

Old 17-06-2009, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:

Kyle.Wylie wrote:

[...]

these are all good questions and things that need to be considered...
Old 05-07-2009, 02:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 15:15:00 +0100, Kyle.Wylie
wrote:

Hi all, I'm not really sure what's going on with my pepper plants.

I have a couple of Redskin Peppers, one planted in a pot the other in a
glasshouse border. Both plants are roughly 6" - 7" and appear to have
stopped growing up. They seem very bushy for all the size of them.
Flowers are just about to appear on both.

Redskin plants are supposed to stay small, they're bred for
containers. By the end of the season, mine hadn't gotten more than a
foot tall.

I also have a Cayenne and a Apache pepper and while they haven't gone
as bushy they do seem to have slowed down vertical growth.

Apache is another dwarf, and won't get too tall. There are so many
different kinds of cayennes, it's impossible to figure what is the
correct height of the plant.

Is this normal for these types of peppers? I've a feeling that that the
three in the glasshouse border may be getting overwatered while other
plants are getting watered, would this effect the peppers like this?
Appreciate any help or guidance available.

How are they doing now?

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"