GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   To net or not to net?? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/184892-net-not-net.html)

anthony123hopki 18-06-2009 09:19 AM

To net or not to net??

Hi

I have a 3 plot rotation going in my garden. 1 roots, 1 brassica and 1 legumes. I have always had each bed completely protected by netting. However, I have just thought that having my peas, beans and chilies protected by netting might prevent them from producing a crop because insects will not be able to pollinate the flowers. Please could you confirm this, and which insects pollinate what plants and so I can see if my netting is too small.

I guess it doesn't matter at all with the roots and brassicas does it?

Thanks.

Frank 18-06-2009 01:42 PM

To net or not to net??

--
anthony123hopki

Only complete netting I see around here is to protect berries. I use
netting in a few areas for deer but openings are big enough for
insects.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 19-06-2009 04:36 AM

To net or not to net??

anthony123hopki wrote:
Hi

I have a 3 plot rotation going in my garden. 1 roots, 1 brassica and 1
legumes. I have always had each bed completely protected by netting.
However, I have just thought that having my peas, beans and chilies
protected by netting might prevent them from producing a crop because
insects will not be able to pollinate the flowers. Please could you
confirm this, and which insects pollinate what plants and so I can see
if my netting is too small.

I guess it doesn't matter at all with the roots and brassicas does it?

Thanks.

This will tell you.

http://gears.tucson.ars.ag.gov/book/

BTW why do you net all your plots?

David

petersteel 16-12-2009 07:34 AM

i read your thread that was really nice to read u r garden lover.. that's great.. i think Netting bird, spikes bird, bird control, bird repellents and pest bird control can all together help us in Bird Control and can solve difficulty completely.i hope that would be the best ....