Old 18-06-2009, 04:16 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Germination

I planted seeds about a week ago, and today I noticed quite a few sprouts
from some of the rows and zero on the others. I know seeds germinate at
different rates, but when is it time to think that they just didn't
germinate or sprout? I know many factors can affect germination. Water,
temperature, depth. I did get quite a lot of sprouts, and even if half what
I planted in seeds and live plants matures, I'll have plenty to do.

Next year, hope to have a greenhouse built, and do from seeds with an
earlier start.

Steve

Old 18-06-2009, 04:49 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

SteveB wrote:
I planted seeds about a week ago, and today I noticed quite a few
sprouts from some of the rows and zero on the others. I know seeds
germinate at different rates, but when is it time to think that they
just didn't germinate or sprout? I know many factors can affect
germination. Water, temperature, depth. I did get quite a lot of
sprouts, and even if half what I planted in seeds and live plants
matures, I'll have plenty to do.
Next year, hope to have a greenhouse built, and do from seeds with an
earlier start.

Steve

Some things normally take several weeks, don't give up for at least a month.
Keep them damp - not wet and warm not hot.

David

Old 18-06-2009, 06:46 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

I planted seeds about a week ago, and today I noticed quite a few sprouts
from some of the rows and zero on the others. I know seeds germinate at
different rates, but when is it time to think that they just didn't
germinate or sprout? I know many factors can affect germination. Water,
temperature, depth. I did get quite a lot of sprouts, and even if half what
I planted in seeds and live plants matures, I'll have plenty to do.

Next year, hope to have a greenhouse built, and do from seeds with an
earlier start.

Steve

My green beans came up so fast, that any faster and they would have
knocked the cover off the tray. Peppers, on the other hand, often take
10 days.

Oh, little mysteries of life.
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Zunx_goz4

http://www.democracynow.org/2009/6/2...ra_hass_on_the

Old 18-06-2009, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"SteveB" wrote:

I know seeds germinate at
different rates, but when is it time to think that they just didn't
germinate or sprout?

I keep a garden log of when things were planted, germinated, were picked,
etc. One major use is so I can look at a previous year and say, "Oh, those
Kentucky Wonders always take 8 or 9 days to show up; relax!"
It depends on moisture, temperature, variety, phase of the moon, alignment
of Jupiter....