Old 20-06-2009, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Seeds...

There has been so much talk about where to get good seeds, what not to buy,
etc....Is there some rule against us starting our own little seed exchange
within the group? I grow only non-hybrid varieties and seed that I harvest
from my own garden.
Any thoughts? I'm in Texas and would love to try some tomatoes from the UK,
Europe, or anywhere else frankly outside the U.S.. Several years ago the
wife and I brought back some roma tomato seeds from New Zealand and those
babies were huge! Should have saved some of those seeds for sure. In
addition, I have 3 bay trees, two of which are over 15 feet tall, and one
that is about 8 feet. The largest has a base trunk caliper of well over 12
inches. HUNDREDS of bay leaves! Anyone need fresh bay leaves? Let's chat
about it. I'm sure that the inevitable "seed police" will pop up and argue
about some law or something that should prohibit this behavior, but
really.....they're seeds, and we're gardeners. Not like we're a group of
veggie te**orists!

Old 20-06-2009, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Thos" wrote:

There has been so much talk about where to get good seeds, what not to buy,
etc....Is there some rule against us starting our own little seed exchange
within the group? I grow only non-hybrid varieties and seed that I harvest
from my own garden.
Any thoughts? I'm in Texas and would love to try some tomatoes from the UK,
Europe, or anywhere else frankly outside the U.S..

Some light reading for you ;O)
SUMMARY OF PLANT PROTECTION REGULATIONS. Updated January 2008. Texas
Department of Agriculture. Regulatory Division. P.O. Box 12847. Austin,
Texas 78711 ...
http://www.nationalplantboard.org/docs/txsq.pdf
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spring-garden-tour
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn
Old 20-06-2009, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Somehow, from previous posts I've read from you it isn't surprising that you
would prove my point in my original post regarding the "seed police". I
won't waste my time reading that crap. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Boy, we wouldn't want to step outside the line now would we? Some little
brownshirt might be hiding in the bushes to wag their little finger and
say....."that is not allowed!"
get a life...

Old 20-06-2009, 03:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thos wrote:
[...]

Try the Yahoo "Seedmessenger" groups.

EJ in NJ
Old 20-06-2009, 03:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Ernie Willson" wrote in message

Thanks Ernie,

I'll check that out.

Old 20-06-2009, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Thos" wrote:

Somehow, from previous posts I've read from you it isn't surprising that you
would prove my point in my original post regarding the "seed police". I
won't waste my time reading that crap. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Boy, we wouldn't want to step outside the line now would we? Some little
brownshirt might be hiding in the bushes to wag their little finger and
say....."that is not allowed!"
get a life...

Aw, come on, I was just funnin' ya, as Lyndon used to like to say.
At least we are still at the "Brown Shirt" stage, and haven't
matriculated up to the "Black Shirts", yet.

If you want the best selection of seed, or if you're interested in the
best ways of saving seeds, you may as well check out
http://www.seedsavers.org/.

Old 20-06-2009, 04:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I have been and am a member of seedsavers. That is old news. You missed
the whole point, but that isn't surprising. There are many redeeming
factors about exchanging seeds with individuals. Establishing networks of
real individual people with like minded goals is mutually rewarding, not to
mention how seeds and plant varieties can move across the planet. I can't
tell you how many times I've sent a self addressed, stamped envelope along
with seeds to someone who has a mutual interest, and received seeds in
return. I had a wonderful friend in Russia that sent tomato seeds in
return for some habanero pepper seeds. Stated quite simply, it's fun and
rewarding, plus, you make a friend...someone you can compare gardening
successes and failures with through online correspondence and pictures. How
terrible is that?
I'm sure I'm violating some "rule" or "law", but if I lived my life being
concerned about that, I would never leave my house for fear my government
might take me away. I choose not to live like that.

Old 20-06-2009, 06:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thos wrote:
Somehow, from previous posts I've read from you it isn't surprising
that you would prove my point in my original post regarding the "seed
police". I won't waste my time reading that crap. Where there's a
will, there's a way. Boy, we wouldn't want to step outside the line
now would we? Some little brownshirt might be hiding in the bushes
to wag their little finger and say....."that is not allowed!"
get a life...

There are good reasons why carrying or sending vegetable matter over some
borders is prohibited. I have no interest in transmitting noxious weeds or
plant diseases no matter how much I might covert certain cultivars. I have
this attitude not because I am a nazi or because I am too timid to step out
of line but because there are already too many imported problems to deal
with without adding more.

David

Old 20-06-2009, 02:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Thos" wrote:

Somehow, from previous posts I've read from you it isn't surprising that you
would prove my point in my original post regarding the "seed police

Your loss... FWIW, the Seed Saver's Exchange yearbook has pages and pages
of tomatoes... that alone is worth the membership fee.

(Lots of people have exchanged seeds in envelopes from distant lands
without problems, he whispered conspiratorially).

Old 20-06-2009, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thos wrote:
"Ernie Willson" wrote in message
Thanks Ernie,

I'll check that out.

Try the Yahoo "Seedmessenger" groups.

EJ in NJ

Thos,

Normally I consider "Billy" to be quite over reactive. In this case I
believe that his cautions are more reasonable. Bear in mind that
dandelions were brought into the country by immigrants with a few
packets of seed.

I'm not trying to put a damper on your zeal , or recreational
activities, but hope you will use caution when importing seeds. As a
start I'd suggest only swapping seeds with other US residents. At least,
in this way you'd not be responsible for another invasion of Dandelion
or other invasive species.

Good luck with your growing,

EJ in NJ

Old 20-06-2009, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ernie Willson wrote:

Thos wrote:
"Ernie Willson" wrote in message
Thanks Ernie,

I'll check that out.

Try the Yahoo "Seedmessenger" groups.

EJ in NJ

Thos,

Normally I consider "Billy" to be quite over reactive. In this case I
believe that his cautions are more reasonable. Bear in mind that
dandelions were brought into the country by immigrants with a few
packets of seed.

I'm not trying to put a damper on your zeal , or recreational
activities, but hope you will use caution when importing seeds. As a
start I'd suggest only swapping seeds with other US residents. At least,
in this way you'd not be responsible for another invasion of Dandelion
or other invasive species.

Good luck with your growing,

EJ in NJ

Dandelions are "great" plants. Food, soil conditioner, and medicine all
rolled into one. Often they remediate human affronts to nature, like
lawns. http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....cum+officinale

Old 20-06-2009, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:03:35 -0400, Ernie Willson
wrote:

Thos wrote:
"Ernie Willson" wrote in message
Thanks Ernie,

I'll check that out.

Try the Yahoo "Seedmessenger" groups.

EJ in NJ

Thos,

Normally I consider "Billy" to be quite over reactive. In this case I
believe that his cautions are more reasonable. Bear in mind that
dandelions were brought into the country by immigrants with a few
packets of seed.

I'm not trying to put a damper on your zeal , or recreational
activities, but hope you will use caution when importing seeds. As a
start I'd suggest only swapping seeds with other US residents. At least,
in this way you'd not be responsible for another invasion of Dandelion
or other invasive species.

Good luck with your growing,

EJ in NJ

Dandelions - I wish I had more of them. I look at people who have
loads of dandelions in their yards and think "Hmm, I bet they need
them and don't know it." Dandelion leaf is a wonderful diuretic - a
great heart medicine in that it contains loads of potassium, which
most commercial diuretics leach out of the body. The root helps purify
the liver and gallbladder. As I have so few, I pay for dandelion leaf
and root for my elderly dog.

Plantago was also introduced by Europeans, also known as white man's
footprint, as everywhere the white man walked, plantain grew. Yet it's
a wonderful plant for treating bee stings, mosquito bites, splinters
etc - I'm grateful for the invasion in my yard.

I know there are invasives that are foreign originally to any area in
the world, but we've become such a globe trotting species that there's
not much to be done about it, besides weeding, imo. Seeds are
transported on shoes, clothing, dogs etc - so I guess my point is
individuals trading seeds doesn't sound like something to worry about
at this stage of our evolution. That ship has sailed.

Kate - imo, of course
Old 20-06-2009, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Thos" wrote in message
m...
There has been so much talk about where to get good seeds, what not to
buy, etc....Is there some rule against us starting our own little seed
exchange within the group?

I think that would be a cool idea. Of course, it would mean I'd actually
have to start saving some of my seeds, but that would be good motivation to
do it! (Hubby has been telling me I should do this for a while now.)
--S.

Old 20-06-2009, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Thos" wrote in message
m...
Somehow, from previous posts I've read from you it isn't surprising that
you would prove my point in my original post regarding the "seed police".
I won't waste my time reading that crap. Where there's a will, there's a
way.

If you were to set it up as some official seed exchange, it might be going
against some legalities. If, on the other hand, you set it up as a bunch of
friends sharing seeds, what could they do? Is it illegal to give my
neighbor some of my seeds? Is it illegal to mail some seeds to my mom in a
different state, or even my friend in a different country?
--S.

Old 20-06-2009, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Ernie Willson" wrote in message news:4a3cdd8a$0$5684
Normally I consider "Billy" to be quite over reactive. In this case I
believe that his cautions are more reasonable. Bear in mind that
dandelions were brought into the country by immigrants with a few packets
of seed.

Well, thank you to the immigrants for providing us with a source of free,
highly nutritious food that grows without any care from me, makes my yard
pretty, and makes a killer wine!
--S.