Old 20-06-2009, 02:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Deer resistant vegetables?

I live in New Jersey and have learned what flowers and shrubs deer will
decimate. By painful experience I now know what to plant for
foliage/flowers in the yard.

I am getting into growing vegetables. I would like to know what
vegetables they eat and do not eat.

I have noticed that thy will not eat my Asparagus.

Any suggestions for veggies they will/will not eat?

thanks,

EJ in NJ
Old 20-06-2009, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Ernie Willson wrote:

I live in New Jersey and have learned what flowers and shrubs deer will
decimate. By painful experience I now know what to plant for
foliage/flowers in the yard.

I am getting into growing vegetables. I would like to know what
vegetables they eat and do not eat.

I have noticed that thy will not eat my Asparagus.

Any suggestions for veggies they will/will not eat?

thanks,

EJ in NJ

http://landscaping.about.com/cs/pest...esistant_2.htm

http://gardening.about.com/od/garden...esistant_2.htm

I've had good success with boarders of English lavender
Old 20-06-2009, 06:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Jim" wrote in message
Ernie Willson wrote:

I live in New Jersey and have learned what flowers and shrubs deer will
decimate. By painful experience I now know what to plant for
foliage/flowers in the yard.

I am getting into growing vegetables. I would like to know what
vegetables they eat and do not eat.

I have noticed that thy will not eat my Asparagus.

Any suggestions for veggies they will/will not eat?

thanks,

EJ in NJ

I've had good success with boarders of English lavender.

Where did you board it? Was it expensive to board the lavendar?

Old 20-06-2009, 02:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Ernie Willson" wrote in message
I live in New Jersey and have learned what flowers and shrubs deer will
decimate. By painful experience I now know what to plant for
foliage/flowers in the yard.

I am getting into growing vegetables. I would like to know what vegetables
they eat and do not eat.

I have noticed that thy will not eat my Asparagus.

Any suggestions for veggies they will/will not eat?

thanks,

EJ in NJ

Depending on the rainfall, and the local availability of native foliage,
white-tailed deer will eat anything if times are tough enough. An adequate
height fence around the garden is needed to stop their normal browsing
within a garden. They may take exception to medium-sized dogs or bigger if
close enough to the garden.
--
Dave

Old 21-06-2009, 01:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Jun 19, 9:52*pm, Ernie Willson wrote:
I live in New Jersey and have learned what flowers and shrubs deer will
decimate. By painful experience I now know what to plant for
foliage/flowers in the yard.

I am getting into growing vegetables. I would like to know what
vegetables they eat and do not eat.

I have noticed that thy will not eat my Asparagus.

Any suggestions for veggies they will/will not eat?

thanks,

EJ in NJ

Never planted asparagus but onions were only vegetable I grew that
they would not eat.
They may not eat hot peppers but they will eat and destroy the plant.

Best thing to do is fence off garden with deer netting.

Shade and deer did in my garden and I now plant tomatoes and peppers
in pots on my 10 foot deck which the deer do not climb but woman told
me that deer went up short flight of steps to her front porch and ate
her flowers
Old 22-06-2009, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Jim" wrote in message
Ernie Willson wrote:

I live in New Jersey and have learned what flowers and shrubs deer will
decimate. By painful experience I now know what to plant for
foliage/flowers in the yard.

I am getting into growing vegetables. I would like to know what
vegetables they eat and do not eat.

I have noticed that thy will not eat my Asparagus.

Any suggestions for veggies they will/will not eat?

thanks,

EJ in NJ

http://landscaping.about.com/cs/pest...esistant_2.htm

http://gardening.about.com/od/garden...esistant_2.htm

I've had good success with boarders of English lavender

I didn't know English Lavender was edible.

Old 22-06-2009, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Wilbe Dunne" wrote in
. com:

I didn't know English Lavender was edible.

you've never had lavender ice cream, or lavender cookies, or
lavender tea? yes, lavender is edible. it's a herb.
lee
Old 22-06-2009, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Wilbe Dunne" wrote in message
. com...

"Jim" wrote in message
Ernie Willson wrote:

I live in New Jersey and have learned what flowers and shrubs deer will
decimate. By painful experience I now know what to plant for
foliage/flowers in the yard.

I am getting into growing vegetables. I would like to know what
vegetables they eat and do not eat.

I have noticed that thy will not eat my Asparagus.

Any suggestions for veggies they will/will not eat?

thanks,

EJ in NJ

http://landscaping.about.com/cs/pest...esistant_2.htm

http://gardening.about.com/od/garden...esistant_2.htm

I've had good success with boarders of English lavender

I didn't know English Lavender was edible.

Deer will enjoy many plants that people don't consider edible... do you
enjoy juniper, deer love it... I don't mind a little juniper flavor in my
2nis. hehe

When hungry enough deer will eat most any plant. Years can pass and just
when you think deer won't touch your prized hostas there'll be a harsh
winter and the deer will dessimate your hostas roots and all.

The only sure fire protection against maurading deer is a good strong
fence... the larger the area you want to protect the taller the fence needs
to be... deer need a good running start to leap a typical deer fence and
they are not so stupid as to leap into a small fenced enclosure because they
know exactly how much running space they need to leap out. You also need to
calculate for the depth of snow... every foot of snow reduces the height of
your fence to deer by about six inches. If you live where 2-3 feet of snow
accumulates that 5'-6' fence that works fine during summer won't keep deer
out in winter. There are also different kinds of deer, some can't leap any
great height, mule deer are not as agile as whitetails.

Deer often get blamed for eating plants that some other animal ate... small
rabbits, and moles/voles can empty your veggie garden in one night. Small
rabbits can be fenced out with smaller mesh fence but those wee burrowers
are nearly impossible to eliminate. And then there are birds... crows and
ravens will eat most anything from a veggie garden, and they are smart, and
bold... even with netting they will watch out of sight off in the distance
until you lift the netting and will be at your veggies before you can. I
have to be careful when I harvest blueberries, the crows are right there
scolding me for stealing their blueberries.

Old 23-06-2009, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Wilbe Dunne wrote:

Jim wrote:
Ernie Willson wrote:

I live in New Jersey and have learned what flowers and shrubs deer will
decimate. By painful experience I now know what to plant for
foliage/flowers in the yard.

I am getting into growing vegetables. I would like to know what
vegetables they eat and do not eat.

I have noticed that thy will not eat my Asparagus.

Any suggestions for veggies they will/will not eat?

thanks,

EJ in NJ

http://landscaping.about.com/cs/pest...esistant_2.htm

http://gardening.about.com/od/garden...esistant_2.htm

I've had good success with boarders of English lavender

I didn't know English Lavender was edible.

with http://www.ask.com/?o=0&l=dir
I've changed a lot of I didn't knows into wow, that's pretty cool.

Old 23-06-2009, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in
:

The only sure fire protection against maurading deer is a good

strong fence... the larger the area you want to protect the
taller the fence needs to be... deer need a good running start
to leap a typical deer fence and they are not so stupid as to
leap into a small fenced enclosure because they know exactly how
much running space they need to leap out.

FYI, two 4 foot fences, about 4 feet apart will also stop deer. they
can jump high, but not wide, and, as you said they won't jump into a
small space they can't jump out of, the 2 fence system keeps them
out. i have a 4' fence 4' feet in from the rock wall (about 2' high)
along my woods & the deer won't jump that. i wouldn't trust it to
protect the garden though.
if you think that a 4' no-man's land around the garden sounds silly,
it's really a decent place to keep a couple chickens. they'll eat the
grass, weeds & bugs.
the only sure fire protection against maurading deer is a gun...
lee
Old 27-06-2009, 07:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Jim" wrote in message
Ernie Willson wrote:

[...]

During an exceptional drought, white-tailed deer will eat anything literally
to acquire some water content. They are more picky as rainfall is more
abundant.

"Deer" is a terrbly general term. What's worse, check out the original
English word "der" from which "deer" is derived. OP could be talkijng about
moose or mice in that case....