Old 23-06-2009, 05:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Volunteer Flower I.D.

FarmI wrote:

Oh, Happy Winter Solstice, the lengthening days will push you to
start collecting your seeds. You must have about 60 days before you
need to start germinating. Time to make plans.

Thank you for the Winter wishes - it's as cold as charity here ATM.

As you lot write about your tomatoes and lovely summer crops, I go a
bright pea green colour. But David and I will get our turn soon and
then we'll make you Northern Hemisphere types turn pea green :-))

I am currently admiring my winter veges (lots of brassicas and greens that
can't take the heat) while trying not sink into the bog. For those may
wonder Fran and I live a long way apart and my place is much wetter being
nearer the coast.

David

Old 25-06-2009, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
Jeff wrote:

This makes me wonder how much moisture Valerian must take.

It thrives on neglect and doesn't need watering.

Not true. It dies here in TN unless heavily watered. It's no heat lover
either.

--

- Billy

and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spring-garden-tour
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn

Old 25-06-2009, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"D. Arlington" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
Jeff wrote:

This makes me wonder how much moisture Valerian must take.

It thrives on neglect and doesn't need watering.

Not true. It dies here in TN unless heavily watered. It's no heat lover
either.

--

- Billy

and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spring-garden-tour
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn

Then you have a different flower. My come up out of uncultivated clay
and lives lone enough to seed for the following year. I have taken to
watering mine when I think of it, because they are free beauty, along
with the red valerians, fox gloves, and the nasturtiums, but they endured
a decade of neglect, when we first moved into this house.
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and

Old 25-06-2009, 06:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article wildbilly-253140.17293324062009@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...

Then you have a different flower. My come up out of uncultivated clay
and lives lone enough to seed for the following year. I have taken to
watering mine when I think of it, because they are free beauty, along
with the red valerians, fox gloves, and the nasturtiums, but they endured
a decade of neglect, when we first moved into this house.

From the Valerian we planted a few years ago, only two plants of eight
survived neglect. (Valeriana officinalis Anthos) Valerian and our
variety are listed as hardy from zone 4 to 9.

And it might be our variety, but in the riot of plants we have growing,
they don't seed at all.

Zone 5... sandy soil.

I have no idea how they do it. I had two empty pots from the basil the
year before, and the red valerian moved in. It never comes up in
cultivated soil for me.
See Garden:
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u

Old 25-06-2009, 01:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article wildbilly-25C53E.22022824062009@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...

I have no idea how they do it. I had two empty pots from the basil the
year before, and the red valerian moved in. It never comes up in
cultivated soil for me.
See Garden:
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u

Red Valerian (centranthus ruber)is also known as Jupiter's beard and is
a wasteland plant.

Valeriana Officinalis is related but not a close cousin.

The former is (IIRC) edible. The latter, sedative.

We had valerian (officinalis) with red, white and orange flowers. The
reds survived.
Old 25-06-2009, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article wildbilly-25C53E.22022824062009@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...

I have no idea how they do it. I had two empty pots from the basil the
year before, and the red valerian moved in. It never comes up in
cultivated soil for me.
See Garden:
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u

Red Valerian (centranthus ruber)is also known as Jupiter's beard and is
a wasteland plant.

Valeriana Officinalis is related but not a close cousin.

Apparently a different genus in the Family (Valeriana sylvestris).

The former is (IIRC) edible.

Discribed as non-toxic, but not appealing.

Old 26-06-2009, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article wildbilly-3CBEC7.08272725062009@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...
In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article wildbilly-25C53E.22022824062009@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au,
says...

I have no idea how they do it. I had two empty pots from the basil the
year before, and the red valerian moved in. It never comes up in
cultivated soil for me.
See Garden:
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u

Red Valerian (centranthus ruber)is also known as Jupiter's beard and is
a wasteland plant.

Valeriana Officinalis is related but not a close cousin.

Apparently a different genus in the Family (Valeriana sylvestris).

The former is (IIRC) edible.

Discribed as non-toxic, but not appealing.

LOL ...just checked the Richter's seed catalogue and it's described as
culinary.
Old 26-06-2009, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

See: http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Centranthus+ruber

Old 26-06-2009, 02:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie says...

Ah yes, I use valerian nearly daily.

-officinalis- so as not to confooz the casual peroozer of the thread.

What for?

Eau de DirtySocks! ;-)

Aint that the truth.

Essence de pile of a year's worth of dirty socks while drying.

My wife, who'd never experienced the charm of valerian's earthy
fragrance, was a study in revulsion...

Marvelous herb. Valerian...strong!!

I agree though our cat does not.

She thinks ditchwater is more interesting.

Old 26-06-2009, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 09:24:57 -0400, phorbin
wrote:

In article , Charlie says...

Ah yes, I use valerian nearly daily.

-officinalis- so as not to confooz the casual peroozer of the thread.

What for?

Eau de DirtySocks! ;-)

Aint that the truth.

Essence de pile of a year's worth of dirty socks while drying.

My wife, who'd never experienced the charm of valerian's earthy
fragrance, was a study in revulsion...

Marvelous herb. Valerian...strong!!

I agree though our cat does not.

She thinks ditchwater is more interesting.

Interesting. Many cats enjoy as much as catnip, with similar effects.
I've known such cats and am now careful with my valerian.

Kate

Old 28-06-2009, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Jeff" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:

I was always fond of jack in the pulpit, which grew in the valley.

I don't know 'Jack in the Pulpit'. Can you tell me what its botanical
name is please?

Arisaema triphyllum

http://www.americanmeadows.com/Peren...riphyllum.aspx

That's a gorgeous plant! But that description of "common in rich woodland"
rather rules it out unless I move to a place with better soil and a higher
rainfall :-(((

Old 28-06-2009, 03:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"D. Arlington" wrote in message
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
Jeff wrote:

This makes me wonder how much moisture Valerian must take.

It thrives on neglect and doesn't need watering.

Not true. It dies here in TN unless heavily watered. It's no heat lover
either.

??????? Are we talking about the same plant?

If it's common Valerian then it has no problems with heat at all. I never,
ever water my plants that grow in the gravel drive and we have had drought
for a long time. I live in a dry climate and rainfall the last few years
would be about 24 inches at its highest and even less for those poor plants
which are under the lee of the carport.

Is TN humid and could humidity be what you mean by 'heat'?