Old 22-06-2009, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Volunteer Flower I.D.

This flower has volunteered here since forever, but does anybody know
its name?

http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u
Top row, middle two pics.

Thanks,
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spring-garden-tour
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn
Old 22-06-2009, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

This flower has volunteered here since forever, but does anybody know
its name?

http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u
Top row, middle two pics.

Thanks,

The softness of the stems intrigued me.

BIll

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria
Old 22-06-2009, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

This flower has volunteered here since forever, but does anybody know
its name?

http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u
Top row, middle two pics.

Thanks,

The softness of the stems intrigued me.

BIll

I added a third to show the flowers in place. So now it is the top row,
except for the borage and the onion.

Old 22-06-2009, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
This flower has volunteered here since forever, but does anybody know
its name?

http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u
Top row, middle two pics.

Thanks,

The blue flower on the nodding heads? The leaves are crinkly and hairy?
Borage. Loverly herb to look at, new tender shoots, leaves and flowers go
well in salad, self seeds profusely.

The magenta single bloom? No idea.

David

Old 22-06-2009, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

This flower has volunteered here since forever, but does anybody know
its name?

http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u
Top row, middle two pics.

Thanks,

The softness of the stems intrigued me.

BIll

I added a third to show the flowers in place. So now it is the top row,
except for the borage and the onion.

The magenta flower is Lychnis - it also comes in white. They are brilliant
survivors in dry conditions which they seem to prefer and in my place the
volunteer seeds sprout in a gravel pathway.

Old 22-06-2009, 08:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

This flower has volunteered here since forever, but does anybody know
its name?

http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u
Top row, middle two pics.

Thanks,

The softness of the stems intrigued me.

BIll

I added a third to show the flowers in place. So now it is the top row,
except for the borage and the onion.

The magenta flower is Lychnis - it also comes in white. They are brilliant
survivors in dry conditions which they seem to prefer and in my place the
volunteer seeds sprout in a gravel pathway.

Indeed that is it, thank you Fran. It is odd, and reassurring that,
though thousands of miles apart, we have the same floral friends. The
Lychnis coronaria, the red Valerian, Nasturtiums, and the Foxglove are
volunteer guests every year here, on the north side of the hill. They
seem to grow wherever I don't intrude.

Oh, Happy Winter Solstice, the lengthening days will push you to start
collecting your seeds. You must have about 60 days before you need to
start germinating. Time to make plans.

And thanks again.

Old 22-06-2009, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
Bill who putters wrote:
Billy wrote:

This flower has volunteered here since forever, but does
anybody know its name?
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u
Top row, middle two pics.

The softness of the stems intrigued me.

BIll

I added a third to show the flowers in place. So now it is the top
row, except for the borage and the onion.

The magenta flower is Lychnis - it also comes in white. They are
brilliant survivors in dry conditions which they seem to prefer and in
my place the volunteer seeds sprout in a gravel pathway.

Indeed that is it, thank you Fran. It is odd, and reassurring that,
though thousands of miles apart, we have the same floral friends.

It is indeed nice and glad to be of some help. It's very, very irritating
to not know what a certain plant is. I have one in my front driveway and
it's a glorious thing in spring. It took me 10 years to find out that it is
a Parahebe, but beyond that, I still have no idea of its full name and I can
find nothing on the Net quite like it.

The
Lychnis coronaria, the red Valerian, Nasturtiums, and the Foxglove are
volunteer guests every year here, on the north side of the hill. They
seem to grow wherever I don't intrude.

I love common old Valerian and also Foxgloves but they don't do well here as
they prefer moister conditions than they can regularly get.

My really super duper favourites of the old fashioned plants though would
have to be Lily of the Valley, Lavendar Shower and Fairy Fishing Rod. I
can't grow Lavender Shower here but I can on our other farm where I've
tucked it inot the hsade behind a water tank on the eastern side of the
house and even though we are not there a great deal, without any help on my
part it thrives. I've done much the same thing with the Lily of the
Valley - south facing and moist and always in shade and it keeps on keeping
on.

Oh, Happy Winter Solstice, the lengthening days will push you to start
collecting your seeds. You must have about 60 days before you need to
start germinating. Time to make plans.

Thank you for the Winter wishes - it's as cold as charity here ATM.

As you lot write about your tomatoes and lovely summer crops, I go a bright
pea green colour. But David and I will get our turn soon and then we'll
make you Northern Hemisphere types turn pea green :-))

And thanks again.

Most welcome.

Old 22-06-2009, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
Bill who putters wrote:
Billy wrote:

[...]

This makes me wonder how much moisture Valerian must take. My
brother, who lives on the edge of a valley (Cleveland, Ohio), has a
substantial stand of Lily of the Valley in the swampiest part of the
yard. I've never seen them grow elsewhere. The only thing I've seen grow
in swampier (and shady) conditions is skunk cabbage.

I was always fond of jack in the pulpit, which grew in the valley.
Never a lot but always a few.

Jeff

Old 22-06-2009, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
[...]

I've been think about the Lily of the Valley because of all our tree
cover. I think I would have trouble with the Fairy Fishing Rod because
it requires full Sun. These are my kind of flowers in that they are low
maintenance. Is there another name for Lavender Shower? Google keeps
giving me bath gels :Ob

Old 22-06-2009, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
[...]

Lily of the valley was the first plant I had when thinking of a garden.
Long Gone but well worth seeking out again .

Solomon Seal may be worth a gander.

Bill

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/solomon_seal.htm

Old 22-06-2009, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Jeff wrote:

This makes me wonder how much moisture Valerian must take.

It thrives on neglect and doesn't need watering.

Old 23-06-2009, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Jeff" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:

I love common old Valerian and also Foxgloves but they don't do well here
as they prefer moister conditions than they can regularly get.

My really super duper favourites of the old fashioned plants though would
have to be Lily of the Valley,

This makes me wonder how much moisture Valerian must take.

Sorry Jeff, but I worded that last post very badly. I meant that the
Foxgloves neded more moisture. The Valerian seems to be as tough as an old
boot as it too seeds and sprouts in a gravel section of the drive.

My
brother, who lives on the edge of a valley (Cleveland, Ohio), has a
substantial stand of Lily of the Valley in the swampiest part of the yard.
I've never seen them grow elsewhere. The only thing I've seen grow in
swampier (and shady) conditions is skunk cabbage.

I was always fond of jack in the pulpit, which grew in the valley.

I don't know 'Jack in the Pulpit'. Can you tell me what its botanical name
is please?

Old 23-06-2009, 03:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

My really super duper favourites of the old fashioned plants though would
have to be Lily of the Valley, Lavendar Shower and Fairy Fishing Rod. I
can't grow Lavender Shower here but

I've been think about the Lily of the Valley because of all our tree
cover. I think I would have trouble with the Fairy Fishing Rod because
it requires full Sun. These are my kind of flowers in that they are low
maintenance. Is there another name for Lavender Shower? Google keeps
giving me bath gels :Ob

I was trying to remeber its botanical name when I posted but couldn't at the
time. It's Thalictrum.

And another old fashioned favourite of mine is Soloman's Seal - Polygonatum
multiflorum ( at least I think that's its Bot. name).

Old 23-06-2009, 03:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
Billy wrote:

I've been think about the Lily of the Valley because of all our tree
cover. I think I would have trouble with the Fairy Fishing Rod because
it requires full Sun. These are my kind of flowers in that they are low
maintenance. Is there another name for Lavender Shower? Google keeps
giving me bath gels :Ob

Lily of the valley was the first plant I had when thinking of a garden.
Long Gone but well worth seeking out again .

Solomon Seal may be worth a gander.

:-)) Ah! Great minds and fools etc........

Old 23-06-2009, 05:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:

[...]

Arisaema triphyllum

http://www.americanmeadows.com/Peren...riphyllum.aspx

Loves shade. Even more so than the Lily of the Valley. And that about
exhausts my botanical knowledge!

Jeff